change navigation pane

By on September 19, 2013 1:47:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

numberokta

Join Date 09/2013

I want to know how do I change navigation pane.

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 19, 2013 2:56:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In skinStudio go to: Edit explorer/IE shell part/Edit explorer parts/FolderBar/Extra settings.

There you can change the backgroundcolor of the Navigation pane.

-For the line part a graphic has to be created with for example Photoshop for this part and be imorted into SkinStudio.

Here is where you import your graphic: Edit explorer/IE shell part/Edit additional parts/additional Explrer settings/Left hand line.

September 19, 2013 5:18:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you so much

September 19, 2013 5:57:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

In skinStudio go to: Edit explorer/IE shell part/Edit explorer parts/FolderBar/Extra settings.

There you can change the backgroundcolor of the Navigation pane.

-For the line part a graphic has to be created with for example Photoshop for this part and be imorted into SkinStudio.

Here is where you import your graphic: Edit explorer/IE shell part/Edit additional parts/additional Explrer settings/Left hand line.

Such a nice guy, good man.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 20, 2013 12:03:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Since you guys seem to be so knowledgeable with SkinStudio while I just started up, I was hoping you might point me in the right direction on an older Theme I've wanted to port to Win8.

Buddha and I go way back so I'm sure you'd get some karma points for this.  Maybe even come back as a dinosaur.

Anyway, mind some input?

Frame Problem

The text isn't an issue, I found that pretty fast.  I have yet to be able to find out how to adjust the alignment down by the search bar, why part of it vertical bar has been overrun by the background, and at the top you'll notice that the frame's don't align at the top.  It's actually easier to see if you click the link for the image I added for convenience (which is the image itself).

Any direction would be appreciated.  My goal was to update this and re-release it for compatibility back to the public since the original designer seems to have gone AWOL.

September 20, 2013 2:32:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Awol or not, you still need permission to edit and share, keyword share,not edit.

Just hate for you to waste your time is all.

September 20, 2013 3:49:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's not wasted if its fixed for me  Actually, that's not the case if you're in this country in this one instance.

Here's an except on fair use:

While fair use explicitly applies to use of copyrighted work for criticism, news reporting, teachingscholarship, or research purposes, the defense is not limited to these areas. The Act gives four factors to be considered to determine whether a particular use is a fair use:

1. the purpose and character of the use (commercial or educational, transformative or reproductive);
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work (fictional or factual, the degree of creativity);
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion of the original work used; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the market (or potential market) for the original work.[4]

But then again this only even matters if a work is copyrighted but it didn't have a copyright notice or license agreement and as the original author, he chose to make it free for a reason which is the exact reason if I manage to fix it, I don't want to selfishly keep it to myself.  I'm really just making a point though considering I already e-mailed him regardless of needing permission.  Permission to post on the site, true, but then again I haven't the slightest idea how to do that yet either.  I wanted to fix it for Win8 so its usable again and mail him a copy to post next to his other versions on his profile.  There's actually not much that needs changing either aside from a few misaligned frames.  The rest of it is really well done so it seems kind of a shame to let it goto waste over something so tiny.  Wouldn't you be flattered if someone liked a particular theme of yours so much that they took the time to fix it just so the hard work you put into it could continue to be used?

By the way, do you happen to know why on his profile it says he hasn't been on since like 2011 while he's still been posting new content and forum replies just a few months ago?  I saw that first which is what made me think he might be long gone by now and it wasn't until looking through the themes that I noticed it and decided to give messaging him a shot.  Kinda curious what the profile date is even based off.  Anyway, just messaged him last night so we'll see.  I've been trying to find a skin that I can run while still keeping my system looking mostly like a developer box should.  I went through yours in the process as well.  I just have to ask...is that the Diablo font on a couple of them?  I always loved that one.  It always gave the perfect touch to each of the series.
September 25, 2013 5:56:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry I was unable to help, but I have no windows 8.

The font you refer to is I believe a system font,"Trajan Pro". One of my favorites.

September 27, 2013 3:44:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, I think you'd have to run 8 to be able to fix it.  I played around with a lot of the frame sizing/position but could never figure out what was causing the overlap effect.  There's other themes that don't have it however so I imagine I might be able to just open one of them up in SkinStudio and figure out what the difference was.

Thanks for the font name.  I never actually noticed that one based on the little font dropdown previews.  It looks so similar to the one used in the game that it's hard to tell them apart at first.  I can see why it's a favorite though.  Never got a reply back from Tom but then again haven't had much time to work on it.  There's nothing really wrong that "breaks" anything; just more or less visual errors or UI changes from Win8 such as parts of the ribbon that need fixing.  I think there will be less trouble once more Win8 compatible themes come out over time so we have more of a selection to choose from.  It's generally hard to say if a theme will work well or not on Win8 unless it says it specifically; especially since there aren't really theme categories based on the Windows versions on pretty much any site.

September 30, 2013 12:22:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi everyone, I tried using skinstudio to change the background colour of the navigation pane. However, I only had 3 options: a grid, black and white. Is there anyway to change it to another color. I want it to be neon green.

Thanks in advance for your help.

As seen below the areas in white I want them to be green.

September 30, 2013 1:39:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TeriHumer,
As seen below the areas in white I want them to be green.

Reply #1 tells you how to do that using skinStudio. In extra settings there is a drop down menu pick a color and click apply and save changes. If you need to add your own color open "Change Skin Colors" than on bottom left click add new color preset it will add a black color so just change it to what you want and click apply. Than go back into the above and extra settings and the new color will be there. just click on it and apply or save.

That will change the left side to change the top White part you need to go into "Edit Explorer/IE Shell Parts/ Edit additional Parts/Additional Explorer Parts. At bottom under Additional explorer section. The third graphic down"top area on Libraries" Make a new graphic of your choice.

NOTE: When you make changes to a skin like you are doing that skin can not be uploaded or distributed in any way. For your personal use only.

September 30, 2013 2:58:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey DaveBax, I got the top one to change, thank you.

Unfortunately, the side one just won't change despite trying literally all the colors in the drop down box. Strange and annoying.

September 30, 2013 3:12:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TeriHumer,
Hey DaveBax, I got the top one to change, thank you.

Unfortunately, the side one just won't change despite trying literally all the colors in the drop down box. Strange and annoying.

You need to have some sort of graphic for the folder bar in order for the pane color to be activated. Even though it will never show up (unless you're using Vista) it needs to be there or the extra settings won't work.

September 30, 2013 3:13:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TeriHumer,
nfortunately, the side one just won't change despite trying literally all the colors in the drop down box

You are aware that there must be a graphic in the Folders Bar area.

What WB is this you are trying? Never found one that wouldn't change.

October 21, 2013 12:46:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mabreedlove,
But then again this only even matters if a work is copyrighted but it didn't have a copyright notice or license agreement and as the original author, he chose to make it free for a reason which is the exact reason if I manage to fix it, I don't want to selfishly keep it to myself. I'm really just making a point though considering I already e-mailed him regardless of needing permission. Permission to post on the site, true, but then again I haven't the slightest idea how to do that yet either. I wanted to fix it for Win8 so its usable again and mail him a copy to post next to his other versions on his profile. There's actually not much that needs changing either aside from a few misaligned frames. The rest of it is really well done so it seems kind of a shame to let it goto waste over something so tiny. Wouldn't you be flattered if someone liked a particular theme of yours so much that they took the time to fix it just so the hard work you put into it could continue to be used?

By the way, do you happen to know why on his profile it says he hasn't been on since like 2011 while he's still been posting new content and forum replies just a few months ago? I saw that first which is what made me think he might be long gone by now and it wasn't until looking through the themes that I noticed it and decided to give messaging him a shot. Kinda curious what the profile date is even based off. Anyway, just messaged him last night so we'll see. I've been trying to find a skin that I can run while still keeping my system looking mostly like a developer box should. I went through yours in the process as well. I just have to ask...is that the Diablo font on a couple of them? I always loved that one. It always gave the perfect touch to each of the series.

If you want to clarify copyright permissions on this site...feel free to talk to me...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.