Brazillian Jiu Jitsu vs Krav Maga

(or any other style)

By on September 17, 2013 2:05:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

flagyl

Join Date 06/2008
+22

Is anyone here a practitioner of BJJ or Krav Maga (or any other fighting style)? Why do you like the style that you like? If given a chance, would you try another discipline?

Any advice for a newbie? I want to pick a discipline and engage in it for fun, sport and self-defense. Not looking to become a 90th degree black belt, able to split logs with my eyelids .

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2013 2:48:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Should have been named Brazilian Jew Jitsu to compete with Krav Maga...

Probably for speed and lethality I'd go with Krav Maga... for athleticism and more of an aerobic work out, the Brazilian deal.

Krav maga really isn't about 'fun', at least it wasn't while I was learning it, eons ago.

September 17, 2013 3:33:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Krav Maga encourages students to avoid confrontation. If this is impossible or unsafe, it promotes finishing a fight as quickly as possible. Attacks are aimed at the most vulnerable parts of the body, and training is not limited to techniques that avoid severe injury.

Krav Maga is not about fun lol.

September 17, 2013 5:36:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sport, self-defence and lethal force. 3 very different things.

No matter if you train violence or sport, it could be fun. If you train how to cut throat or something its so weird and horrible that its hard not to laugh sometimes

I love and train one filipino martial art. With blades its so different and brutal. No matter how good you are at fighting, its pretty much over if the other guy got a weapon (and skill to use it) and you dont.

sorry about my bad english

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 17, 2013 7:59:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting OMG_Shiro,
Krav Maga encourages students to avoid confrontation.

Ah...so it's trend-speak for 'running' ....

September 17, 2013 8:03:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If survival means running then yes, yes it does.

September 18, 2013 12:55:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do Judo and Jujitsu. Both these martial arts are very similar and less true martial arts and more like combat sports, like boxing. Krav Maga is more of a true martial art that focuses on true combat. So it depends on what you want. If you are really worried about getting into street fights go with Krav Maga.

I would not suggest it to a newbie however. Pick something you can really get into and train hard in. Something you can really spar and compete in safely. Then when you have basic skills and instincts developed you can worry about street fighting. Krav Maga uses a lot of Jujitsu moves so it should transfer over fairly well.

September 18, 2013 7:09:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for responding guys.

I guess I should clarify. When I say "fun", I mean something more along the lines of friendly competition...like playing a game of 21 on the basketball court. Guy time, I guess...not for entertainment, but to compete without the added stress that comes along with formal competition.

That said, if I had to choose, I would rather be serious about it and study/practice in such a way that allowed me to protect my loved ones first and foremost. I am definitely thinking about street defense, Ds (although I have to admit that there is something about submitting a guy with a limb lock like an omaplata that really appeals to me ).

With respect to Krav Maga, I have been eyeing "Mastering Krav Maga" by David Kahn.  http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Volume-Self-Defense-Beginner-Advanced/dp/B0052T6XLY Do you guys recommend my using a dvd until I can find a suitable gym?

Ds, can you clarify the difference between a martial art and a combat sport for the uninitiated like me? I'm an idiot .

Once again, thank you guys and Nidhogg, your English is pretty good. No worries .

September 19, 2013 9:33:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Combat sports are based around rules and limits. You learn to fight but within the rules of the sport, ie in boxing you learn to fight but you only learn to punch you don't kick or learn to deal with kicks or grappling. The goal is to beat the opponent at a game not a true no holds barred fight. You can easily apply combat sports to fights but they aren't designed to be used that way. Krav Maga is about street fighting and you learn to deal with everything from eye pokes to knives. However this makes it hard to do real sparring, and worrying about a hundred different cheap shots will just confuse most people who should just focus on basics anyway.

Don't worry about videos until you find a gym. A lot of moves need a partner or hands on instruction.

September 19, 2013 10:24:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Self Defense classes, Python Style....

September 19, 2013 10:38:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

lmao. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.