WinCustomize 2014 thread

It is time...

By on September 12, 2013 9:03:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116

As much as many of us like the existing WinCustomize design, technology marches on and there's a lot more we can do with WinCustomize today than we could when we did the last design.

I'm starting this thread to begin the brain storming phase of what you guys would like to see in the next-generation version of WinCustomize.com.

This can include:

1. HOW items (like skins) are organized.

2. WHAT kinds of items we include (should we add support for mobile devices for instance)

3. WHAT kinds of design elements and features would you like to see.

Plus anything else you'd like to add.

Let it begin.

74 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 12, 2013 9:06:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

(should we add support for mobile devices for instance)

Yes. I think so. I have a tablet, and a smartphone.

September 12, 2013 9:09:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The previous forum search was much more effective than the current one. The "old" one narrowed things down much better, now it just grabs anything and everything that has almost any wording matches, rather than a specific subject, quote or thread. Any chance of fine-tuning it a bit?

A special "Legacy Software/Skins" section may be handy as well.

September 12, 2013 9:12:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like how places like Flickr display photos, which would look great for skin screenshots/previews.

Example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islanddog/

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 12, 2013 9:17:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Even though I don't use mobile devices like a tablet or smartphone I agree that they need to be included.

September 12, 2013 9:23:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

The previous forum search was much more effective than the current one. The "old" one narrowed things down much better, now it just grabs anything and everything that has almost any wording matches, rather than a specific subject, quote or thread. Any chance of fine-tuning it a bit?

Not only is the answer to that YES but I would very much like to pass on more specifics on how you guys imagine the ideal *forum* search system works so I can get them on it.

Agreed.

September 12, 2013 9:36:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,

Plus anything else you'd like to add.

Let it begin.

Any chance of getting the forum tools fixed for the moderators?

September 12, 2013 9:59:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I believe it's time for full size screen pages. For example only, lets say one wants to explore WindowBlind skins. Imagine being able to see each row having 5 showing instead of 3. Same with the other categories.

I love it here so don't take anything the wrong way. Looking at the page sizes here, is like watching an old movie not made to fit the current televisions screens and you have to watch with borders around it.

September 12, 2013 10:48:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hankers,
Any chance of getting the forum tools fixed for the moderators?

Yes, not "specifically" WC but it'd be nice if 'we put up with it' could be reworked into 'heck, it's working right!!!' ...

Benefitting the thousands of users who get on 'now and then' could arguably be matched by 'the few' who are on 'constantly'...

In that regard there are specifically three 'failings' that could do with improvement/repair.

1. Admin/Mod tools should be accessible from WC's galleries directly, and not require relocating the skin/upload issue from the Admin site - essentially finding something twice.

2. The access permissions for Moderators to access galleries has been broken for 'years' preventing any changes to be made.  I managed to make one 'stick' for a few hours...then it broke again.

3. Every 'instance' of a User Nick needs to have Admin 'tool' accessibility...no matter where it is located....Gallery, Forum, comments on skins...whatever.

Re WC specifically...logical database search options....one that doesn't require Admins/Moda to manually relocate such things as Dock backgrounds to their new Gallery - it's time consuming, considering the prolific gallery.  Currently the Skinner uploads a second time...to the new gallery and the Admin resets the original DL counts and deletes the old skin.

Since I bought my 'new' SAAB I've been hanging out a bit at www.carsales.com.au which has just about every search and sort option you can imagine...eg. age...price...most recent update...number of cylinders...doors....you name it...it does it.  OK, it's not quite the same DB ...but something equivalent must be possible.  Probably the hassle is it'd be something that can be implimented but wouldn't be backward-compatible..

New Galleries for Mobile devices etc is a good idea....they're here to stay [in spite of W8 and Metro, etc] ...as long as the existing wobbly bits are in the mend at the same time...

September 12, 2013 10:52:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skinning for mobile devices, Galleries could be united for them, ie wallpapers for tablets and phones linked to the wallpaper gallery. 

Legacy skins - great idea.

Fixed WinWiki but a lot easier to write for. Templates might be good as examples.

As Hankers and Jafo wrote, fixed tools would be great.

If a Flikr type gallery can be done, so much the better. I like that idea a good deal. If not, a mouse-over magnify function would be good.

Skinner's entire gallery available on search, with most recent/OS/UIS filters.

Search function should work with tags (as time goes on). Parameters by topic, by Forum and/or subforum, by author, and by year. Gallery searches could work pretty much as is, but with working filters.

September 12, 2013 11:00:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please, oh please, please.....fix the emotes!

[e digicons]:'([/e] [e digicons]:')[/e] [e digicons]'[/e] [e digicons](\(\[/e]

[e classic]:'([/e] [e classic]:'([/e]

September 12, 2013 11:07:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I second that emote shun!  

September 12, 2013 11:15:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
I believe it's time for full size screen pages.
Agreed. Widescreen monitors are the norm, why not use all that real estate for something really cool, like a new Home Page?

September 12, 2013 11:21:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

what's a legacy skin?

September 12, 2013 11:29:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Quoting Wizard1956, reply 2A special "Legacy Software/Skins" section may be handy as well.

what's a legacy skin?
Bootskin of both flavors, LogonStudio, DesktopX, Right-Click, ObjectBar...etc.

September 13, 2013 12:02:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
what's a legacy skin?

Last night's condom?  

September 13, 2013 12:50:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
I like how places like Flickr display photos, which would look great for skin screenshots/previews.

I can only agree with that.

Quoting DrJBHL,
If a Flikr type gallery can be done, so much the better. I like that idea a good deal. If not, a mouse-over magnify function would be good.

what Doc said

The design: I would like to see changes in Design to something more modern like Stardock.com 
The Gradient had been here for so long and meanwhile it has lost its touch...
i have some friends that instantly said that wincustomize looks cheap for a "design page/skinner place"
Personaly i liked the gradient look but it is just not up to date anymore. 

I would like to see sections for example windowblinds , wallpapers, Xion, Deskscapes - the whole list each with a tile for example that if you mouseover it twists and shows you the last upload for example
http://www.sky-club-frankfurt.de/  take a look at -events, jobs, service, Galerie - mouseover them... i think something like that would be cool they could display if there is a new upload for each section...

Sorry no more time left, have to go to the uni, will add more this afternoon

September 13, 2013 6:47:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

why not start by fixing the things that don't work, not only on the site but the programs as well. Like the references to wiki that is no longer available. SKS needs to have these references removed. We just had major site maintenance and yet at the bottom of this page is a link to the non-existent wiki that should have been removed as well.

paying attention to detail would be my suggestion.

September 13, 2013 7:05:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
why not start by fixing the things that don't work, not only on the site but the programs as well. Like the references to wiki that is no longer available. SKS needs to have these references removed. We just had major site maintenance and yet at the bottom of this page is a link to the non-existent wiki that should have been removed as well.

The people who work on the sites and the programs are different teams.  As I mentioned before the links to the wiki is scheduled to be removed, but it's at the bottom of the priority list.

September 13, 2013 8:57:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Attention to detail, in all aspects of the site and software development, is a major key to success.

September 13, 2013 12:21:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the folks that are bothered by the wiki link should never dare to click on the help link which can also be found at the bottom of the page.

serious advice:

stop the tinkering. do not write your own forum software. there are forums that work. use them, there might be some that are free even for commercial websites.

do not think about adding content for mobile devices if your site is a pain to use on mobile devices (WC on everything smaller than 10" is horrible). again stop the tinkering. if you want to keep this site up and running for more than five years, it needs a major change.

if you are willing to invest in it than do not do the ui/ux design in-house. partner with a company with a good reputation like Paravel Inc or Art Lebedev.

September 13, 2013 12:31:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can see from just the few replies that folks will have their own opinion as to what improvements or changes need to be considered. 

Whatever the final approach may be I'm sure that everyone will agree on two things, that it works as intended and from the sites viewpoint that it doesn't become a difficult task to maintain.  Can't ask for much more than that.

September 14, 2013 11:53:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
serious advice:

stop the tinkering. do not write your own forum software. there are forums that work. use them, there might be some that are free even for commercial websites.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

September 14, 2013 5:01:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wonder if , and I am not sure how others feel, guess we'll find out, but, I wonder if when a viewer or skinner visits a personal gallery, could it be organized in sections. So that walls, skins, textures, etc. are not mixed.Thanks, DT1.

September 14, 2013 7:11:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My fav site once adblock is installed..lol..easy on the eye,tabbed sections instead of links below banner,if i remember rightly i think the color of the website can be changed to whatever you like

http://www.afterdawn.com/

1-Seperate articles from actual tutorials/guides for the customization software & have link that says guides or tutorials,imo this question should never have had to be asked doing a search for a tut didn't work for me either including using forum search not to mention website http://forums.wincustomize.com/447691/page/1/#3390500

2-add the links that are in the 2nd line from the bottom that point to joe user,stardock etc ,either at the bottom of wincustomize or include with the rest below the banner at the top or both top & bottom

http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/help/

3-wondering why there are all these different sites for the same company instead of a one stop shop for the lot,to me afterdawn have the key use tabs for the differing sites would make navigation a lot easier more so for those that don't come here often & newer web searchers i.e you've got wincustom,stardock,joe user etc

4-still working on it

September 15, 2013 10:35:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

Quoting Wizard1956, reply 2A special "Legacy Software/Skins" section may be handy as well.

what's a legacy skin?

These skins are made by Subaru 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.