[SOLVED]Tabbed Docks move during Temp. Resolution Change and/or Switching Users

Floating docks get pushed left and up during res change

By on September 8, 2013 8:54:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jgray182

Join Date 05/2013

I know this has been covered before but this REALLY need to be fixed. I read some where of a moderator saying the problem was more of a "feature". Its not. 

The docks get pushed from the right edge and/or bottom edge when the resolution is changed, either from switching users or even turning off my HDTV (which my home theater PC is attached to via HDMI). Even if I click on switch user from (user x) and go to the logon screen and go back to the same user x, the docks will be pushed to the left. I only have 1 screen attached to the PC (my hdtv). Problem is, when the screen changes from the user account to the logon screen, the resolution seems to reset to the lowest possible resolution the video card can handle, mine being 800x600. Though the logon screen is at a much higher resolution, its the "in between" transition stage where the lowest resolution seems to be used. Also when I shut my TV off, the video card for some reason will resort to the lowest resolution while HDMI is not being user. I may have a way around this I'll try a few things for the this particular issue.

Now I have 1 floating dock in the middle of the screen, so because of this, its not close enough to the bottom edge of the screen for it to be pushed up during a resolution change. It will however get pushed to the left due to the right edge moving "in" during a res change.

If I move the dock to the bottom right corner of the screen, the dock will get pushed both up and left to the bottom left edge of the next lower resolution (whatever I set it to or it changes to). When I change the res back to a higher res, the dock will stay put at the corner position of the lowest resolution the screen was last at. 

So I have thought of a few ways to tackle this;

1. Objectdock would need to save the position of all floating docks per resolution used. So If user x uses 1280x760, the x,y position will be saved until its moved by the user next time. If the user changes to a higher res, well the dock can stay put till the user re-positions the dock to the desired location for that specific resolution and create ANOTHER entry in a config file for the x,y position for that resolution on that particular account. This way if the user change back to that resolution for any reason, the floating dock will remember the position for that particular resolution.

2. Have a pixel count or % of the right and bottom edges since these edges seem to the what really moves during a resolution change. This would also require a config file of some sort to remember the coordinates of the floating dock from the borders. This will allow the floating dock to move to the correct position no matter what resolution is used.

This shouldn't be to hard. I am sure I could find a 3rd party app to do this but that is just yet ANOTHER app loaded at startup.

Please correct this problem

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 8, 2013 9:30:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

UPDATE - WORKAROUND

ISSUE: Shutting of HDTV (Primary Display) Floating dock gets pushed to left. Dock is position in the center of the screen so the bottom edge of the screen does not have any vertical effect when changing resolution.

REASON FOUND: Since HDMI is not the computers primary (1st choice) display output. When the HDMI signal is lost, the PC reverts to the VGA display port which is at a different resolution. 800x600. When I turn the TV back on, the PC defaults to the HDMI port which would be at a higher resolution.

WORKAROUND: Plugged my PC into the HDTV using a VGA cable. Now I was able to set the resolution of the VGA port to 1280x720, same resolution of the HDMI port. 

Now I can turn off my TV and turn it back on and nothing moves around. I still get some movement when getting to the logon screen from the switch user feature. There must be a setting some where for this. Not sure if I will be able to find it though.

I have the resolution this low so I can read text easier from the couch. Since this PC is for Home Theater use, its made to watch movies and play games.

September 8, 2013 9:40:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

NOTE: Logging on/off and shutting down and turning on the PC has NO effect on the floating docks position in my case. If I want to switch to a different user, I need to log off, and log on to the next user. This will prevent my floating dock from moving around.

UPDATE NOTE: Seems as though you may need to do this change to the VGA resolution in each user account even though the VGA res is where you want it and doesn't change per user.

September 11, 2013 10:34:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

MORE SPECIFIC

Video: Radeon HD 6550D (Built in to AMD A8 3870K APU)
Motherboard: ASUS F1A75-V EVO

ISSUE 1: Floating and Docked (on edge of screen) Tabbed Dock gets pushed over to the left when clicking on "Switch User" from user "x", to the logon screen, and back to user "x".

CAUSE: Adding the System Tray tab to any Tabbed Dock will allow the dock to be pushed to the left during the issue above.

WORKAROUND: Removing System Tray tab will allow the dock to remain locked into its position during the switch user change. ..... Will experiment more.

-----

ISSUE 2: ALL Floating and Docked Tabbed Docks get pushed to the left and/or up when turning off display or switching user.

CAUSE: Windows or your video card / Built-in Video, is reverting to another display port (HDMI, DVI, VGA etc.) resolution profile. In my case, shutting off my HDTV connected via HDMI would make the PC revert to the VGA port resolution profile which was set to 800x600. This would cause all my TABBED DOCKS to shift around. 

WORKAROUND: Change VGA (Most likely the culprit) to the same or higher resolution then your DVI or HDMI display device is configured to. There are a couple ways of doing this

1) Connect VGA or culprit display device to PC and edit that resolution profile by going into Display Properties

2) NOTE: DON'T NEED TO CONNECT ANOTHER DISPLAY DEVICE WITH THIS PROCEDURE
Go to start menu, run and type: "%windir%\system32\displayswitch.exe
" This will start the Display Switch Panel. Usually used for switching between screens, adding a projector or multi-monitor setups. Go to EXTEND. Then right click on desktop and go to "Display Properties" or "Screen Resolution", find the 2nd monitor with the lowest resolution and change that profile to the same or higher than your primary display resolution. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 11, 2013 10:43:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

BTW. 

"Lock dock position" does not do the trick

September 14, 2013 3:22:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MODERATORS:

Could you change the title of this thread? 

New Title: "[SOLVED]Tabbed Docks move during Temp. Resolution Change and/or Switching Users"

My Troubleshooting & observations have been forwarded to the development team by Stardock Customer Service. 

February 11, 2014 11:24:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I found a setting in my BIOS which disables multi-monitor support. I set it to Disable and now when I turn my HD TV off, it will not revert to the VGA display. Fixed permanently.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.