3 reasons your iPad should be part of your emergency kit

By on August 26, 2013 8:40:08 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116
This Summer I've put some time into putting together an emergency kit. I wouldn't call us "preppers" by any stretch of the imagination but I think it's a good idea to have some basic plan in the event that something catastrophic happened to our infrastructure (like severe disruption to the power grid or something).

During the process of figuring out what sorts of supplies we should have, I have found numerous Internet forums that discuss this (they call their kits "bug out bags").  One item that I was surprised few considered essential was an iPad (or Android tablet if you prefer).

So here is some advocacy for why a tablet should be part of your emergency kit.

Since the iPad is small, durable, and uses relatively little power, bringing it requires relatively little sacrifice. Each of us has one. So with that in mind, here are 3 reasons I think an iPad is a critical component of any "bug-out" kit:

#1 MAPS

While bringing paper maps is a must, the iPad can store huge amounts of data that works just fine even if the Internet is out. Many GPS apps will cache the map data for you.

Similarly, even with cell phone towers down the GPS on them will still work just fine. In the deep woods, knowing how close you are to that "little pond" is helpful. 

My personal preference is to use elevation maps which have a variety of uses. 

Moreover, some iPad maps (like MotionX maps) include off-road trails and such on them that a normal map might not include.

#2 VIDEO HOW-TO

I am the first to admit that I did not grow up in a camping/firearm environment. I grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment with my mother. Not a lot of camping or wilderness experiences there. So in the absence of first hand practical experience, reading and watching videos is a must for me.

So for example, when my Walther P22 jammed, it was YouTube I turned to for a video demonstration of how to take it apart (which worked great).

There are apps for the  iPad that let you download YouTube videos for off-line viewing.

In the same vein, you can read a great article or thread on a forum like this and then click on the Reading List icon in Safari and have it stored for offline viewing. 

Hunting? Trapping? I've never skinned an animal. I've never set up snares. I've never tracked anything. But there are step-by-step videos on this out there. Onto the iPad they go. Would it be better if I took the time to learn these skills? Absolutely. But most people don't have time to dedicate to this kind of thing. This is, I think, a better than nothing compromise.

Consider all the articles, videos and threads you've read over the years that were helpful. I can't remember all of it. I wish I could but I can't. So I save it to my iPad

#3 Kindle offline

These days, nearly every book has a Kindle edition. And that means you can have entire books stored on your iPad that won't require Internet/Cell towers to make use of.

Here's an example:

That's from the Prepper's Pocket Guide. Similarly, there are books on edible plants, how to make use of those cans of emergency seeds that many people have purchased, wilderness remedies (like using charcoal for a stomach ache <g>), tactics, manuals, etc.

BONUS #4: THOSE DOCUMENTS

Most people consider having numerous documents kept with you a must. What those documents are will depend on the person.  Regardless, if you decide certain documents are ones you feel you need to keep, even in an emergency, consider digitizing them and keeping them on your tablet.

I hope this helps others. Cheers!

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 26, 2013 9:26:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If the world all goes to poo....all you need to do to be prepared is have Yoga lessons......so when it does you'll be flexible enough to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye....

I think the rest of it is just staving off the inevitable...

August 26, 2013 11:06:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can it be an Android Tablet? Or does it have to be an iPad? 

August 26, 2013 11:50:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RND....

(or Android tablet if you prefer).

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 27, 2013 6:37:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This post has definite merit. You might consider having several of those 'charge sticks' for the iPad/tablet as well, Brad.

In some cases, a variety of livestock (in addition to the tablet) would be a plus (though not for the sheep...whoops).

Quoting Jafo,

If the world all goes to poo....all you need to do to be prepared is have Yoga lessons......so when it does you'll be flexible enough to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye....

True enough, though the same could be said about everyday life (the 'staving off').

Yoga at my age...well, would yoghurt be close enough?

August 27, 2013 8:09:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A solar charger is also a good companion.

August 27, 2013 9:05:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
A solar charger is also a good companion.

Probably something first on the list...along with a swag of batteries [rechargable]...

August 27, 2013 11:41:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

RND....

(or Android tablet if you prefer).

Selective reading?   

August 27, 2013 10:57:17 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well i don't have an Ipad, whatever that is,,, but in an emergency, i guess i could always make one?

I could kill several animals, gouge out there eyes, then sandwich them between two writing pads = Ipad.

Or i could get lots of pictures of eyes and staple them into a writing pad = Ipad

Or i could use genetic engineering and make a dog grow an eye on its foot, specifically, the pad = Ipad

August 28, 2013 10:04:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Did Uvah change his nick? 

August 28, 2013 12:11:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Couldn't have said it better myself LOL!

August 28, 2013 1:02:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is quite funny reading!

September 4, 2013 9:35:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Apple stuff is garbage.

Try an Android.. I hate being cornholed into Apples interfaces/stores unless I jailbreak, and that's simply not acceptable in this day and age of vastly superior android devices which simply require a 'click' to access content anywhere on the internet.

So I would recommend Android, not Ipad, to be specific.

September 5, 2013 10:21:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good to see you au fait with the topic....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.