Gal Civ 1 - Buffer Overrun error

By on August 25, 2013 5:26:09 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

alexa1591

Join Date 08/2013

HELP!!

I've been trying to find a solution to this all night but so far ive not been successful. i bought gal civ 1 ultimate edition from steam, have been playinhg and really enjoying the game. but all of a sudden everytime i play, my game crashes and reports a buffer overrun error. im not using any mods, and as it was bought on steam i would imagine it's the most up to date version. im using windows vista basic.

any help would be great, thanks

3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2013 11:05:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have you tried going to the galciv1 forum: http://www.galciv1.com/forum.asp

If you put "crash" or something similar in the search box, you get several entries. Maybe there is something there that can help you.

I have the steam version too, and I have had no problems.

August 25, 2013 1:13:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Could it be you are low on memory? Systems that came with Vista Basic typically have very little memory installed. How much RAM do you have?

August 26, 2013 9:48:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I vaguely remember the old memory running out problem.

1) I think you need to stop the auto save feature.

2) Keep at least 3 saved games and save over them in rotation

3) keep Task manager open along with another medium sized program in the background. If the game runs out of memory, sometimes you can recover after closing that secondary program.

Edit: Galciv sometimes doesn't know how to free up memory properly.... by running a second program in the background, you prevent stupid Galciv using up ALL your available memory, so you keep some memory in reserve and use it to recover when the game does run out of memory.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.