Dock at top of screen mis-behaving, and other problems

By on August 23, 2013 4:19:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

urban1a

Join Date 05/2008

1. Because of conflicts between the Win 7 Task Bar and OD (in terms of auto-hide. I can't figure out a good combination of

auto-hide on the task-bar and the dock and they conflict with each other), I have moved my dock to the top of the screen.

Other than that, it is identical to it's appearance/content as when it was on the bottom of the screen.

I am also having the following problems:

2. Occasionally, when I click on an program to start, an entirely different program (although one on the dock) will actually start.

The program starting seems random;

3. Recently, I have noticed that when I click on one of the programs on the dock, I just get a larger display of that icon and

OD seems to hang (the busy cursor is on). Eventually, it will go back to normal and I can start the program.

If I just try to click on that icon display, it will turn white but no other action occurs. I have not tried to move my

dock to the bottom to see if it still happens. This problem has started in the last couple of weeks, probably since the last update.

This is the more serious of the problems since I am unable to do anything until OD 'resets' itself.

I am very interested in getting some suggestions on how I can solve these problems. I would like to move my dock back to the bottom

of the screen if I could figure out the auto-hide problem.

Thanks,

Bob

Win7, x64, sp1
OD 2.1
Classic Start Menu 2.8.0

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 23, 2013 5:26:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Do you ever want to see the Windows taskbar?  If not, set it to autohide and set the ObjectDock dock to be fixed at the bottom edge.

If you do want to sometimes see the Windows taskbar, try setting up your dock as a floating dock and move down near the bottom edge.

I don't know why one dock icon would launch another program, unless the dock icons were changed and the icons that were selected did not match the application to which the dock shortcut pointed.

Jeff

August 23, 2013 5:59:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi urban1a,

As Jeff suggested set the task bar to auto hide and your dock to floating just above where the task bar is when you touch the screen edge. As for the programs... right click on an icon and choose settings. Go to 'edit this icon' and make sure the link is set to its respective target. For example... Documents. The link should read C:\Users\Your name\My Documents. As long as the link points to the right target that is what should open when you click on it. Now for the other part of it doing nothing. If you don't have it already go to piriform.com and download CCleaner. Install it and let it run. Go to My Documents and make a copy of your skins folder as a backup then go to control panel>programs and features and uninstall Objectdock, run CCleaner again then reboot and re-install Objectdock. Could be the previous install was either borked or somehow corrupted. Hope this helps.

August 24, 2013 10:30:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have moved my dock back to the bottom, but I do now find the 'floating' option anywhere.  Do I understand that as the task bar moves up, the dock 'floats' up also?

You are misunderstanding the problem I have with programs starting erroneously.  As I said, it is random.  That is:

clicking the icon for Program A, actually starts Program A most of the time, however, rarely, it will start Program Z, instead.

Hopefully, the problem will be resolved by moving the dock to the bottom of the screen.  

Now [search]floating[/search]

Thanks,

Bob

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 25, 2013 6:18:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is where you'll find it. The dock itself stays on the bottom, it does not move as the task bar moves. When you reveal the task bar it opens just below the dock. You can also auto-hide the dock. Then it will move up as the task bar moves but this method is good for tabbed docks. Quicklaunch and zoomer docks will hide out of sight while the tabs on the tabbed dock will remain visible. Support will have to look into the other problem as I am unable to recreate it.

August 25, 2013 10:29:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK.  I have a quick launch dock and 'floating' is not an option.  No problem.

Bob

August 25, 2013 10:21:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting urban1a,
You are misunderstanding the problem I have with programs starting erroneously. As I said, it is random. That is:

clicking the icon for Program A, actually starts Program A most of the time, however, rarely, it will start Program Z, instead.

Hopefully, the problem will be resolved by moving the dock to the bottom of the screen.

Is program 'Z' immediately adjacent to program 'A' in the dock?

There'll be no difference whether the dock is at the top...or the bottom of the screen.

August 26, 2013 6:39:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you're not using a tabbed dock then you can set the dock to sit above the open task bar by adjusting the distance from the screen edge by clicking on 'change distance from edge'. Right click on the dock and go to settings to open the configuration window then to position>change distance from edge. Its similar to floating.

August 26, 2013 9:17:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Jafo, no, the icons are not ajacent.  That would make some kind of sense, however, strange.  Program Z may be anywhere (but always to the right) of Program A.

I'm just going to dismiss it as a pecularity or user error.  It isn't anything big and if it isn't a widely known problem, it has something to do with my installation, so, no problem.

Bob

August 26, 2013 9:22:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

urban1a .... that certainly is an odd one.  I'm curious as to what mouse-over effect you have set for the zoomer....perhaps combined with an odd DPI setting for the screen....

....or perhaps your mouse is dyslexic...

Maybe someone from Dev can shed some light ....

August 26, 2013 11:09:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its the mice. They get into everything.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.