Germany: Dump Windows 8, it's an NSA backdoor

By on August 22, 2013 6:48:28 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

RogueCaptain

Join Date 10/2007
+7

Google Translated

English Blog: Investment Watch.

Germany has announced it will be purging Windows 8 and security minded companies should do the same.
According to the Germany's BSI Windows 8 comes shipped with a Microsoft/NSA partnered backdoor "Trusted Computing" feature and TPM 2.0 microchip that takes control of your computer without your knowledge.  The user meanwhile can't do anything about it.

In response Windows 8 itself will be downgraded and knowledge of the intentional vulnerability has indirectly been made public.  Ouch!

As listed in Wikipedia, "Trusted Computing".

22 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 22, 2013 7:01:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As much as I'm glad there's increased awareness of these wide-spread criminal practices, NSA backdoors have been infesting Microsoft's operating systems since the 1990's.  This is nothing new.

August 22, 2013 7:04:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Germany has announced it will be purging Windows 8 and security minded companies should do the same.

I hope more follow and puts any company dealing with spooks out of business.

mephistopheles

August 22, 2013 9:49:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SoA2Team,
I hope more follow and puts any company dealing with spooks out of business.

Which would be all of them.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 22, 2013 10:04:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Which would be all of them.

You fail to realize just how powerful these corporations are, and you give consent to these psychopaths every time you give them money. Once even one of these corporations stocks started to freefall, you would see all the others circle their wagons, and with a few well placed phone calls this would all be over. Too bad most like to just keep their heads buried in the sand and believe that there is nothing anyone can do.

August 22, 2013 10:04:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How do you think that the Stuxnet and Flame worms infiltrated Iranian computers? A web browser based attack would have been unreliable, so the only sure way into any Windows computer system is through a covert back door, courtesy of Microsoft.

August 23, 2013 12:06:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why am i not surprised at all by this... They have been warning about crap like this since the 90's.

August 23, 2013 5:02:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Any time Uncle Sam sees an opportunity to get his greedy little fingers into another cookie jar he'll take it. Wealth and the lust for power are more addictive than the hardest drugs. Once you got it you want to keep it and to hell with who don't like it. Been that way from day one. BTW...this is 2013...the CIA finally admitted that it was behind the coup that toppled the Iranian government back in the fifties and installed the Shah of Iran, a dictator, who himself was toppled in the seventies. And you wonder why the Middle Eastern countries hate the US. 

Sixty years it took them to admit the truth. In the early sixties it was Viet Nam, a CIA controlled 'war', one which could have been ended within six months according to a high ranking North Vietnamese official who publicly stated that the US military was far more powerful than previously thought but because the 'war' was controlled by pin-striped pencil pushers in Washington aka politicos, the soldiers hands were tied and they were forbidden to take certain actions which would have ended the 'war' much much sooner. The CIA's role, remember Air America, was handling the distribution of drugs throughout the region. Tons of bucks to be made at the citizens expense. The 'war' ended, for the US not the people who lived there, in 1975. In 1995, twenty years later, Uncle Sam finally admitted it was a mistake going into Viet Nam. This government supported a brutal dictator in President Diem who was opposed, naturally, by Hanoi. 

Manuel Noriega was another puppet of the US corporate establishment and was only deposed by the same because his dealings with the drug runners was exposed. He took the fall and Uncle Sam got away scott free as usual. Saddam Hussein was another, installed by the US in Iraq in order for the corporate entity to control the vast oil reserves discovered there in the fifties. Note that since then, some sixty years and counting, that entire region is still unstable and peace is a concept not welcome in Washington. In peacetime you can't make money. Keep the region destabilized and the money flows unabated. Drugs, oil and weapons all controlled by the US corporate entity. The oil will be gone in less than a century but not the drugs and certainly not the weapons and the people who desire them for whatever reason. It is what it is folks so none of this bullshit should surprise anyone.

My two cents.

August 23, 2013 7:45:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

seriously ? TPM2.0 is nothing else than TMP...  and of course they implement it, look at the new gaming consoles... DRM
want to avoid trusted computing- go and disable syncing.. bet you are not using it anyway.
It has nothing to do with digging about personal information or extracting files and eavesdropping on your skype calls.
The whole thing just remains a potential backdoor and could be usefull for botnet or more ...
But im unsure where on earth they would store such a amount of data since with that many running systems we are not talking petabyte anymore and i think exabyte wouldn´t be enough either...

August 23, 2013 8:17:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its called a googol. The total sum of everything.

August 23, 2013 11:17:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Terms of Disuse:

By reading this you waive all semblance of rational comprehension and accept personal culpability for any irresponsible inaction arising from formal understanding of carnal knowledge.

With worldwide Internet traffic volume increasing at a rate of 32% each year, companies looking to mine that data would "effectively analyze 80 exabytes of data per month by 2015," he said.

Cleversafe, a privately-held company founded in 2004, is well funded; it has received more than $31 million in venture money, including money from In-Q-Tel, a branch of the CIA that invests in startups.

August 23, 2013 11:31:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 23, 2013 3:16:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Victor5,

As much as I'm glad there's increased awareness of these wide-spread criminal practices, NSA backdoors have been infesting Microsoft's operating systems since the 1990's.  This is nothing new.

The difference is this time it's hardware in addition to software and 2015 is when Microsoft will require all machines to be on the "trusted computing" standard to run Windows 8.

In the past, intrusion from backdoors was minimized with special security software that penetrates deeply into the OS but now that is no longer a viable option under the new standard.

August 23, 2013 11:22:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

fantastic. great job Microsoft. i hope snooping is worth that billions...

August 24, 2013 12:20:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ya know what? None of this has a thing to do with personal computing and stinks pf politics, therefore, I repectfully request y'all keep this shit where it belongs. Politics goes to Joe Loser. Thank You and have a nice day.

Ross, You should know better.

August 24, 2013 12:24:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with reply 14.      

August 24, 2013 4:29:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Governments spying on people - whatever next...

I agree, this thread belongs in politics not personal computing.

August 24, 2013 5:20:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mine was but a rant. And yes I agree....

August 24, 2013 12:48:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A technical 'feature' that puts your system at risk from hackers is not political. If the NSA can enter your system, a hacker can. Backdoors never stay secret. To call this political is closing your eyes for reality hoping it'll go away. 

August 24, 2013 1:12:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting petrossa,
To call this political is closing your eyes for reality hoping it'll go away.

Not only that, they want to blindfold everyone else 

Edit:

Don't use Windows 8 due to risk of 'back doors', warns German government

Shortly after Snowden sought refuge in Russia, the Russian government revealed that it was dumping all its PCs for sensitive work - and using typewriters instead.  

August 24, 2013 5:06:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,

Governments spying on people - whatever next...

I agree, this thread belongs in politics not personal computing.

If true, perhaps it belongs in both places.  A warning to PC people who do not frequent other forums.

August 25, 2013 1:38:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

let´s keep the 3rd party journalism out of this 
Source: https://www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Presse/Pressemitteilungen/Presse2013/Windows_TPM_Pl_21082013.html 
That posted: Key Issue Paper or Eckpunktepapier guidelines for Trusted Computing and Secure Boot - point 3. Complete control through device owner 
As you see this presents a defective already...And needs to be fixed ASAP if it does gets fixed the Virtual world is as good as on win7 

August 26, 2013 10:43:26 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

When i hear about things like this, it always reminds me of the movie 'Serenity' based on the 'Firefly' series and the 'Miranda' incident.

Because world authorities/governments will never be satisfied until one day they have direct control over everyone's brains.... sounds paranoid, ,,, if only! sigh

i had a weird dream many years ago... in the dream i was out camping with my family, then suddenly some hoons in a hotrod car came hooning past down the dirt road just having fun. then a police helicopter turned up and blasted them to pieces with machine guns! Then the helicopter hovered over our campsight and i remember all the campers were frightened and whispering to each other, "you have to remain 'passive' or they will shoot you". Any sign of emotion, such as anger or defiance or simply the failure to act submissive and they would shoot you!

Never thought much of the dream back then, but as the years go by, i cannot say that we are not getting closer to that kind of scinario

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.