Updating really OLD skin

By on August 21, 2013 2:00:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

boofus

Join Date 05/2001

I recently bought a Win 8 Ultrabook.  Because the screen is so small, I'd like to use an older (simpler) skin; I like one called "Toxic" from the early days of WB.

It needs updating; I think I can do somet of it, but I'm totally lost on the animated part.  It appears to me, that SD changed all the anim stuff from the earlier version.  For ex, there used to be an anim.dll, but I don't think it's used anymore.

If anyone has any advice on how to upgrade the skin, or maybe even help me do it, I'd appreciate it.  

I do NOT intend to distribute anything that results, so as not to infringe on the original author.

Boo

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 24, 2013 9:57:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Vampothika is the author of this blind and is active of the forums. Perhaps you could PM her and find out if she can help .

August 24, 2013 12:42:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting roflmfaoo,

Vampothika is the author of this blind and is active of the forums. Perhaps you could PM her and find out if she can help .

There is a MUCH older "toxic" (from the early 2000's); that's the one I'm interested in.   The skinner was "morphh".   Thanks.

Boo

August 25, 2013 12:22:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can confirm that,it seems the latest WB has ceased supporting anim.dll which implemented animations onto Titlebar and scrollbars.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 25, 2013 12:17:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My apologies for that mistake. It can cause confusion when two blinds have the same name. I am not sure this is the case, Xaphire uses animation for the titlebar and works fine using Windowblinds 8.

August 25, 2013 12:43:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Those old skins should be meant that have UIS2 only,no per pixel frames. Xaphire does has per pixel frames,that's why it has no problem shown animated effect. 

August 25, 2013 2:22:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting roflmfaoo,

My apologies for that mistake. It can cause confusion when two blinds have the same name. I am not sure this is the case, Xaphire uses animation for the titlebar and works fine using Windowblinds 8.

Yes, there are at least a few fairly current skins that use animation in the title bar and the start menu.  It's just that it appears they've changed the way the anim now works, rendering older skins "broken".

I contacted support about this PLUS the fact that the wiki is down and here is the response I got.  

--------------------  begin quote -------------------------------

The wiki is permanently offline. We hope it's content will be migrated elsewhere soon.

For questions about skinning, you should direct them to the WinCustomize forums (perhaps posting at http://forums.wincustomize.com/447687 ?)

Please let me know if you have any further questions/concerns.

--------------------end quote  ----------------------------------

IMHO, as far as I'm concerned it might as well say "give us your money and then leave us alone".  I've been sending my subscription fees since the late 1990's and this is the best they can do??

Frogboy, are you listening??

Boo 

August 27, 2013 6:54:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wincustomize is only a skinning site and isn't actually apart of Stardock. Wincustomize just has a lot of popularity amongst the skinning community. The only thing you can really do is attempt to contact the author to get permission to modify their work and update it yourself. 

August 27, 2013 8:14:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting boofus,
Yes, there are at least a few fairly current skins that use animation in the title bar and the start menu.  It's just that it appears they've changed the way the anim now works, rendering older skins "broken".

Compatibility issues happen, and if a creator wants to update their skins, that's great.  However, nobody can force them as this is a community site.  

August 27, 2013 12:49:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I understand what both of you say......  I'm not expecting either Stardock or the original author to update the skin for me; and I never did expect that level of service.  I'm fairly confident the original author is not even an active skinner anymore. 

But, I am distressed that Stardock doesn't even provide any documentation for their product.  If I had good docs, I could/would up the skin myself (or my own personal use only)   The way they do anims has changed (drasticly) and Stardock has not even documented the changes, AFAIK

Thanks for you interest.

Boo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.