How can I tell how fast my internet connection really is?

By on August 6, 2013 7:52:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon

Join Date 02/2006
+18

Hello people,

I just moved, and just got hooked up with DSL from the evil people of Vodafone, by way of Deutsche Telekom. They claim to have given me, for a substantial cash subscription on my part, a very high speed 50MB connection (instead of the standard 6 which,  apparently, for Berlin is normal). But I have my doubts. I'm not sure if a wireless ethernet connection to my laptop effects DL speed, or where a bottleneck might come from, any tips are welcome. Currently, I just disabled wireless and hooked up to the box directly via a cable. But I am not sure how to tell how fast my connection ´REALLY is. I want to see if they are cheating and have really given me what they promised for much too much money, or if they gave me the standard crap.

Can anyone help? (I'm a computer idiot so nothing too complicated please.) I'm running windows 7 Home Premium. Thank you!

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2013 8:06:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Google internet speed test and it should give you links to sites in your country that will test connection for you.

As for does wireless effects DL speeds. Most likely it does but how much it depends on what kind of router you have set up and how strong of a signal you are getting. 

You could try to get someone to set up cable connection test it out and then set up wireless and compare them. Not sure how it is in Germany but here in UK most ISP throttle customer connections after they reached certain amount of data transfered. 

August 6, 2013 8:08:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can try     http://www.speedtest.net/

August 6, 2013 9:30:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Speedtest.net as the above said.

Generally everyone overpays for substandard performance.

And in response to Greg30007's idea, for wireless go for a Dual-Band Wireless N router/card, or a newer one that is not Wireless G or B.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 6, 2013 11:58:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well one answer is that you'll only get the speed that the website you're visiting affords you.

As for wired versus wireless? I get similar results either way, as follows:

Wired PC:

Laptop wireless:

August 6, 2013 12:31:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nice speeds

August 6, 2013 1:54:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Well one answer is that you'll only get the speed that the website you're visiting affords you.

As for wired versus wireless? I get similar results either way, as follows:

Wired PC:

-snip-
Laptop wireless:
-snop-

I pay too much for:

August 6, 2013 4:47:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks so much.

I just tested and think I am getting ripped off. According to the link above, I am getting this:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2885109008

which is exactly 6 MBbit. Exactly the throttle of what I would have gotten had I gotten the shitty standard package. It's as I had suspected, they are cheating. Is there anything one can do about somthing like this?

I am confused as to the value of the ping. Are lower or higher numbers "better"? Which ping value is good?

thank you

August 6, 2013 5:20:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ping with lower values are better.

You could always call them and say that you tested your internet connection and that your results come far below what they advertised or what you have in your contract.... Then go from there. 

August 6, 2013 5:22:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Low ping numbers are better, higher numbers show that it takes longer in miliseconds to reach the server in question.

There are a few ways to deal with slow connection due to being cheated by a company.

1. Call an complain and threaten to switch companies

2. sue them (won't be likely to win)

3. Call and have your connection evaluated, it might be that it is broken or damaged.

4. Call and ask what your MBs cap is, and if you have exceeded it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.