R.I.P. Michael Ansara (Kang in Star Trek, Elric B5, Cochise, The Blue Djinn, voice of Mr Freeze, etc...)

By on August 4, 2013 4:31:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

tjashen

Join Date 03/2009
+51

Michael Ansara, known for numerous roles, including Kang in Star Trek, has died.  He was 91.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/03/showbiz/star-trek-actor-dies/index.html

Among other tidbits, he was married to Barbara Eden back in the '60's, and more recently to his wife Beverly until his death.

When I read about Barbara Eden's connection, I had this vision of Kang having a 'Major Nelson' moment as Jeannie plays tricks on him.  That would have been one very silly Star Trek episode!  But I digress!

Truly a great actor, and the iconic Klingon in my book!

Then there is that Elric/Mollari conversation...

Elric: As I look at you, Ambassador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sounds—the sounds of billions of people calling your name.

Londo: My followers?

Elric: Your victims.

— “The Geometry of Shadows,” Babylon 5

Another wonderful moment from that episode, r.e. the Technomages:

We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers… and we know many things… fourteen words to make someone fall in love with you forever, seven words to make them go without pain, how to say goodbye to a friend who is dying. How to be poor, how to be rich, how to rediscover dreams when the world has stolen them from you.

R.I.P. Michael Ansara.  Thanks for all of the great memories!

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 4, 2013 6:20:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
August 4, 2013 6:47:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He was the final Klingon actor from the original series that has now passed to the great beyond. To the dead in Sto-vo-kor. Beware, a Klingon warrior is about to arrive...

August 5, 2013 1:08:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

May he rest in peace!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 5, 2013 2:55:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Also did one of the funniest Carson bits on the Tonight show when he was playing Mingo on TV - can't find the clip but Carson talked him into throwing a hatchet at him between his legs and it landed at bit high, resulting in one of the more classic Carson looks at the camera.  Seemed like a genuinely nice guy.  And I was way jealous of him when he was married to Jeanie.

August 5, 2013 4:06:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
Also did one of the funniest Carson bits on the Tonight show when he was playing Mingo on TV - can't find the clip but Carson talked him into throwing a hatchet at him between his legs and it landed at bit high, resulting in one of the more classic Carson looks at the camera.

That was Ed Ames

August 5, 2013 4:47:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My sympathies to his friends and family. Rest In Peace.

August 5, 2013 7:59:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My wife and I got to meet Michael Ansara along with John Colicos and Bill Campbell at KlingCon SciFi convention dinner. We chose to sit at John Colicos' table, but all three Klingons had great stories to tell that made the evening quite memorable.

August 5, 2013 10:00:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I stand corrected, S J N.  Thanks.  Explains why I couldn't find the clip!  They did bear a resemblance, at least at times in their careers.

That's my story, stickin' to it.

August 8, 2013 1:39:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

R.I.P

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.