GUI only shows you the top left quarter

By on August 1, 2013 9:55:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sludge7051x

Join Date 06/2013

Using Win 8 and a 23" monitor . . . How do I attach a screenshot?

The GUI worked after an install, I changed a few things, now I only see the top left quarter of it.

No change even if I set it to Win 7 or Win XP SP3 compatibility mode, and Run as Admin

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 1, 2013 10:01:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have you changed your DPI setting from default 96 DPI? Some  GUI's won't display properly at a higher setting.

To attach a screenshot, you will need to upload to a hosting site like ImageShack or Photobucket. Then get the direct link, return to this thread and in the reply box, click on the little tree and insert the link there.

August 1, 2013 10:21:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I changed a few things

Which?

August 1, 2013 11:10:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks.  I have put the screenshot on ImageShack.

In Win 8, if you:  right-click on desktop / Personalize / Display

. . . It looks like they don't give you this spec anymore of 96 dpi, just:  Smaller (100%, the default, I assume 96 dpi), Medium, and Large

I changed these settings, nothing unusual:

Settings / Stardock Central options / [un-check] Silently install new software
Settings / Update checks / [un-check] Automatically check for updates
Settings / File locations / set to desktop

And this is all I see of the GUI.  It worked before.  Now it doesn't, even if I turn off all non-MS Services and startups, do a Restart, and then disable AVG :

stardock central cutoff

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 1, 2013 11:15:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have you tried an uninstall/re-install of SDC?

August 1, 2013 11:18:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That sure looks like a dpi problem, check again and make sure that Smaller is selected and then hit Apply.  Did you recently install updates to drivers for your graphics/video card?  If so you might try rolling back to the previous drivers to see if that's the problem. 

August 1, 2013 12:28:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, I just did that . . .

I tried it in Compatibility Mode for Win XP SP3 / Win 7 / Vista . . . no change

As you can see from the screenshot, it's a rectangle in portrait . . . and it's the same size as the Login window . . . My guess is that it is exactly the same size as the Login window . . . why is it keeping that size?  What could be preventing it from going to the larger rectangle size in landscape, that enables you to see the status of everything?

I had this same problem when the free Foxit Reader came out in version 6 . . . I would go to do the update . . . there was no login window in this case, just a small status bar where the green bar goes across . . . it would keep that small size, and then try to display updates available, but you couldn't see everything, due to the small rectangle size.

My monitor resolution is on the default, and it's a 23" monitor at 1920 x 1080, landscape, so this is not occurring due to the monitor.

My video card is the nVidia 8600GT, 500MB, I have the driver that Win 8 installed, back on 11/16/12, so it's not too out of date . . . there is an update through Windows update, but I don't like updating the video card driver, because that can lead to new problems, in XP, I was getting a blue screen with a Stop error . . . so if I'm having no problems like that, I don't bother updating it.

This issue with the updaters keeping the initial small sized windows . . . what could it be?  Why would the program keep that size, and not go to the larger size where you can see what's going on?

August 1, 2013 12:33:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I notice you are using a large font size in the forums. Have you made any changes to your system fonts/sizes or any other visibility changes that may effect the window sizes?

August 1, 2013 1:20:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No, if I take the default here, this is the size it goes to, 8 pt

. . . 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 show up in the initial drop down window,

18 pt is a little big,

so I go with 14 pt

If I need to see something bigger in Chrome,

I use Ctrl + + + to zoom

Ctrl - - - to zoom out

Ctrl 0 to go back to 100%

As I see it, the question is, what could keep a program from going from one size dialogue box to another?

August 1, 2013 1:29:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is a very good question. I hope you find an answer, I'm out of ideas. In the meantime, you may want to send an email to support@stardock.com and link to this thread. Good luck.

August 8, 2013 3:57:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
  1. Press the Windows key  + PrintScreen on your keyboard (or, PrtScr). Screenshots are automatically saved to My pictures/Screenshots in your user directory (C:/Users/%username%/My Pictures/Screenshots by default).

2. To access your screenshot press the Windows key  + E to open an explorer window and browse to My pictures/Screenshots, or click Photos from the Start screen and then click Pictures library  Screenshots.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.