Outlook email

Back up your emails!

By on July 28, 2013 12:30:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WebGizmos

Join Date 09/2003
+695

If your using or have been forced to use Outlook for your emails...I can't strongly enough suggest you back up your inbox. Twice now I've had emails just disappear...and the most recent disappearance left only 2 emails in my inbox. And support for Outlook is pretty much non existent in this case.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 28, 2013 3:34:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've never had a problem with Outlook. However, you should always backup your pst files

I have my pst file on its own partition where its easier to find and backup. I then have SyncBack copy it to two locations on a daily basis (different disks).

July 28, 2013 9:04:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So that's why I haven't been getting your emails....

No probs here Steve. That I know of.....

July 28, 2013 9:16:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just curious Steve, how can anyone be forced to use Outlook?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 28, 2013 10:06:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
I have my pst file on its own partition where its easier to find and backup. I then have SyncBack copy it to two locations on a daily basis (different disks).

Ditto...

July 28, 2013 10:20:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Work.

Outlook is nice if you have Exchange. But for POP3/IMAP, it has a lot of limitations and 'quirks' like this that make it a far-from-ideal choice of client.

July 28, 2013 12:07:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Been using Hotmail for years...so everything I received and saved was stored with hotmail...then they switched over to Outlook and hotmail was gone. I have thunderbird...which while I had hotmail always saved a copy...but not since this switch happened.

July 28, 2013 12:48:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

so you do not have a problem with Outlook (the PIM), but rather with Thunderbird and outlook.com.

as outlook.com does not support IMAP as far as i know, i would expect problems especially when you are using more than one device and mail clients. the place to find help would be the Thunderbird community, but you would really need to provide more detailed information.

in the end of the day the only real solution would be either using the outlook.com web interface or switching to a mail provider with IMAP support.

July 29, 2013 12:06:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Moshi...in over 8 years of using mainly using hotmail and just having Thunderbird installed I never ever had a problem...until outlook came into the picture. I still have Thunderbird install but my primary email is through outlook. And the problem didn't start happening until a few weeks ago and I've been using outlook for a few months now.

July 29, 2013 2:43:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

was "I never ever had a problem..." ever useful at solving a problem? you are having a problem now, don't you.

don't you think there would be an outcry all over the internet and also newspapers and tv if outlook.com would start loosing emails? biggest shitstorm ever. this is a problem with your own setup.

what you are experiencing is is most likely related to a standard POP3 behaviour. that is: when fetching email, it gets downloaded to the client but also deleted from the server. i am sure one could change this for Thunderbird. mail-clients on mobile devices might be less configurable. this is why as soon you are leaving the MS ecosystem (by using Thunderbird or an Android phone for example) outlook.com, an email provider that supports POP3 only and not IMAP, is far from being the best option.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.