Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2013 7:33:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry, never heard of it.

July 26, 2013 7:41:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It looks like the author, KerLoong has disappeared. No longer has a gallery here or at dA.

July 26, 2013 11:30:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

can only find the icon package...   link..

I remember it... I'm sure I had it on my old XP machine... was a good Halloween one...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 27, 2013 6:33:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One of those sites that "obtain" skins and post without the author's consent. Note the location of the site:

Domain Name: xpdesk.cn

ROID: 20070519s10001s41865226-cn
Domain Status: ok
Registrant ID: hc279681305-cn
Registrant: 汕头市小广有限公司
Registrant Contact Email: email@gamil.com
Sponsoring Registrar: 北京万网志成科技有限公司
Name Server: ns5.gzidc.com
Name Server: ns6.gzidc.com
Registration Date: 2007-05-19 09:44:35
Expiration Date: 2014-05-19 09:44:35
DNSSEC: unsigned

As for syd's link, the dl leads to dA and a 404 (eventually).

The only reason it's there is that the author didn't know it was, or did and they didn't remove it on his request. 

DMCA notice won't help, as only the author can file that and no one seems to know his location, and even were he to file one the site's compliance would be dubious as both are located outside the USA.

His intent, however is clear: He's gone from WC and gone from dA.

July 27, 2013 7:55:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Syd's link is just a blog that features the author's favorite skins and provides links to deviantArt. nothing shady about that.

for this reason Syd's link is useless for anybody that wants to download the icons though.

personally i have given up on fighting such redistribution sites. once you put something on the internet you loose full control. the worst part about it for me is that they tend not to update their files when you release a new version. it sure is not the best of all worlds, but that's what reality is. i have even found one that writes good quality reviews about the skins, so i kinda appreciate that site (7themes.su)

July 27, 2013 9:07:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
personally i have given up on fighting such redistribution sites.

I can understand that, moshi. That's your personal decision. WC however, can't have links to sites which disrespect authors' rights. After all, we demand originality in all images (except "fan art").

July 27, 2013 11:14:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

as long as there are fonts redistributed inside WindowBlinds skins, WC (as all skin sites) isn't as "clean" as you might think.

i am aware that there is no bad intention behind that and it's just ignorance, but this is one of the hypocrisies of the skinning community. i can fully understand as a software vendor i would not want to deal with all the complaints about that after installing a skin there is still the default Arial (or Segoe UI) in the titlebar. it is a convenient feature for the enduser.

and yes, i am guilty of this as well.

July 27, 2013 11:46:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some reason my reply was removed?   

July 27, 2013 12:21:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you blind?? The very own DrJBHL perceived that your link on the comment/reply contained the file of which the author has intended not to distribution.  And he dug out the host which "obtained"  of it.

July 27, 2013 2:00:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gasparshooters, let me make clear that while I "dug out" the info on that site, I have no ability to delete any comments, except my own, and on anything I publish through joeuser.com.

Even though I have that "power" on my own threads published through joeuser, I have never done so despite having been provoked a few times.

Anyone who wishes can "dig out" the info on any website: http://www.whois.com 

Your sarcasm was misguided.

July 27, 2013 4:46:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Some reason my reply was removed?   

Well, an explanation would have been nice. 

I totally realize that an explanation of why my post was removed isn't something a mod is obligated to do, but a guy like me who has been a part of this community/site, for as long as I have, and to reach the rank of Master, you'd think at least a private explanation would be in order.

Masters are expected to act according to their rank, I would think that an equal respect has been earned by one who has attained such a rank.

Road should go both ways. I'll shut up now. But it feels kinda like one has been disrespected to have a reply removed without some sort of notice/explanation.

Oh well. Carry on.

July 27, 2013 7:06:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry all, I am new here, and didn't know that what I posted, would cause a problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.