DeskScapes 8.09 Beta Available

By on July 18, 2013 2:39:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+613

New beta releases for DeskScapes is now available for registered users and Object Desktop customers from the store accounts page athttps://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products/ or via Stardock Central. 

DeskScapes 8.09 beta

• Adds support for the Windows 8.1 Preview
  • Additional bundled wallpapers including a selection licensed from Vladstudio (http://www.vladstudio.com)

Pinned Post 34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2013 11:27:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yay Stardock! Thanks for the new beta releases!

July 21, 2013 3:21:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the update! wondering is there any bug fix in this version?

July 27, 2013 2:22:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How did they release the beta Deskcapes 8.09 for Windows 8.1 Preview with such a huge bug?

Let me explain, with Windows 8.1 Preview, there is an option in the Charms to set the desktop wallpaper as a background for the start screen and all apps area.

So when Deskscapes is active, it is the desktop wallpaper (Animated) ... 

I was very excited when Deskscapes, for a few minutes, would run the animations on the start screen and all apps area.

This is when Deskscapes (beta 8.09) crashes.  I thought the beta would have addressed this.

Deskscapes (beta 8.09) is buggy if set as the background for the start screen and wallpaper (from the charms).

Well, that is my experience anyway for now.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 27, 2013 5:00:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,
How did they release the beta Deskcapes 8.09 for Windows 8.1 Preview with such a huge bug?

Windows 8.1 is a preview. You cannot expect Stardock to have all the bugs worked out for a temporary "preview" of an OS. Give 'em a break. 

July 27, 2013 10:44:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ok. 

It would be awesome if it ever works.  I was really blown away when I saw a video playing in the background of the start screen and all apps area.  That would really make news !! At least for those that find that sort of thing interesting.

July 28, 2013 7:42:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting number74,

ok. 

It would be awesome if it ever works.  I was really blown away when I saw a video playing in the background of the start screen and all apps area.  That would really make news !! At least for those that find that sort of thing interesting.

Are you using a real machine or a VM?

We have seen an issue in VirtualBox, but it seems to be in VirtualBox only.

July 28, 2013 8:22:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello.  No VirtualBox.  Just a basic install of 8.1 Preview on an ssd.  No dual booting.  Currently have gone back to Windows 8.0 because of other beta issues with new features in 8.1 such as the annoying "new" install highlights that remain permanent and graphics resolutions that vary on different monitors and zoom factors that are always changing.  Will retry on a separate disk with a clean install and report back. 

For now, it doesn't matter to me.  I will definitely be there and using Deskscapes, now in 8.0 and in future releases. 

I like stardock programs.  Just bought Windows Blinds and FX, ... awesome in Windows 8.

August 3, 2013 3:56:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can confirm that bug as well. If you want to get it to work after the bug takes effect (when you go to start screen then back)  bring up taskmanager and restart windows explorer. This is beta software and treat it as such. It exists to give people something to use in the mean time, making your desktop background apart of start is an EXTRA feature to the OS not default, so they easily missed it. If you dont want the bug uncheck that feature in windows if you have previously checked it until final version of deskscapes comes out.

August 3, 2013 4:07:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll test this in VMWare Windows 8.1

Just cause.

September 17, 2013 12:31:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still the beta does not work and I own Windows 8.1 Pro WMC

scuse me for my english

September 17, 2013 2:30:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

when a compatible version final windows 8.1

September 20, 2013 5:13:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It sounds like you're experiencing the potential bug I noticed, for which I posted more information about here for the devs to help reproduce it: http://forums.stardock.com/448101/get;3397536

September 21, 2013 4:36:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A glitch in Windows 8.1 RTM:

When the charm bar/PC Settings is opened (not used, just opened), on return to the Desktop, the animation has frozen and no Explorer or Control Panel windows can be opened. (Tested with Vista animated wallpaper video clips).

Normal operation is re-established by pskill of explorer.exe.

This bug does not seem to appear after other Stardock applications are installed (Start8, ModernMix).

September 21, 2013 7:27:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ralph124C41,

When the charm bar/PC Settings is opened (not used, just opened), on return to the Desktop, the animation has frozen and no Explorer or Control Panel windows can be opened. (Tested with Vista animated wallpaper video clips).

This bug does not seem to appear after other Stardock applications are installed (Start8, ModernMix).

This is resolved in our internal build, so it should be sorted before official release of 8.1.

September 21, 2013 12:27:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,
Let me explain, with Windows 8.1 Preview, there is an option in the Charms to set the desktop wallpaper as a background for the start screen and all apps area.

I am not finding that setting.

September 23, 2013 12:42:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting Ralph124C41, reply 13

This is resolved in our internal build, so it should be sorted before official release of 8.1.

ok and what temp it takes to switch from internal to external even a beta

October 3, 2013 2:36:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still no new version, I pay for a version that works, not to wait for 10 days still unanswered 

scuse me for my english .....

October 3, 2013 2:47:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just one question: animated wallpapers you they work in the SmartScreen

October 4, 2013 2:36:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,  > reply 3

Quoting RedneckDude,
I am not finding that setting.

Just responding to the reply

Can I post a link > http://www.intowindows.com/set-desktop-background-start-screen-background/

Using method 1 or 2 > steps 2 > 3 > 4 etc...

I have not had any problems with deskscapes normally on the desktop UI.  It works fine.  Perhaps the issues about running deskscapes on the start screen will be fixed later on.    

October 4, 2013 2:58:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting fabeese,

just one question: animated wallpapers (dreams)you they work in the SmartScreen

October 9, 2013 2:04:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This was made using deskscapes beta 8.09 in Windows 8.1 preview (Not RTM).  

Only able to do this a few times.  It no longer works.

It will be nice when it works.  Deskscapes on the start screen on my 37inch HDTV.

(by mdmd > number74)

October 9, 2013 2:40:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

thank you for your answer it makes you want; stardock is apparently on vacation, has a week of the official release of Windows 8.1, Still no functional version  WINDOWS 8.1 PRO MEDIA CENTER ... her fears

October 9, 2013 4:52:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting fabeese,
thank you for your answer it makes you want; stardock is apparently on vacation, has a week of the official release of Windows 8.1, Still no functional version  WINDOWS 8.1 PRO MEDIA CENTER ... her fears

Application updates require testing and such, so patience is needed please.  

October 9, 2013 8:19:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ok thank you for your response, you will be lucky to have a stable version before the official release of Windows 8.1?, that is to say in 8 days

October 15, 2013 9:32:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You guys might want to test DeskScapes on Windows 8.1 after installing the GA Rollup A updates, as there seems to be a few issues there. Wait a few days for Windows 8.1 to launch with the day 1 GA Rollup A updates of course.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.