Need short advice before purchasing laptop

By on July 9, 2013 4:14:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon

Join Date 02/2006
+18

Hi all,

back here in Germany where everything is more expensive and less flexible, I'm hesitant about buying a new laptop because I'm unsure of a couple of things and need some advice. I'm pretty bad at technical things.

I had wanted to buy an Asus G75VW, but apparently you can't get them anymore (at least here), so I am looking at something similar. Here are some questions:

1. Are there any graphic cards that I really should avoid / really ought to have installed?

2. I really would like an SSD, at least for the operating system, but I have heard that Windows 8 (which I guess I'll need to get, since apparently no one offers 7 anymore) has some sort of problem with loading times and SSD which I do not understand. Is that true?

3. Any other last-minute tips?

Thanks so much

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 9, 2013 4:26:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's your price range?

I like Acer as well as Asus. Acer is also a company that makes laptops with dual disks. Usually a SSD (120GB/256GB) HHD (750GB) combo. All this within the same price range of an Asus lappy.

July 9, 2013 4:27:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Look at the Acer Aspire V3-772G. It comes in different configurations (at least here in Norway)

July 9, 2013 4:48:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

2. I really would like an SSD, at least for the operating system, but I have heard that Windows 8 ... has some sort of problem with loading times and SSD which I do not understand. Is that true?

[/quote]

Not sure that is actually true - SSD based Win8 laptops aren't uncommon. I run Windows 8 on a Sony Vaio with an SSD and boot times aren't that much of an issue. Bear in mind that most portable Windows 8 devices don't actually completely shut down - they go into a suspended state, when they're powered back up you carry on from where you left off :- much faster than a full reboot.

... which I guess I'll need to get, since apparently no one offers 7 anymore...

Not so long ago, dealers/manufacturers were selling off older models, which may still have Win7 on them, in clearance sales. If they're still around you might be able to pick up a bargain.

[quote who="2of3" reply="1" id="3380143"]... makes laptops with dual disks. Usually a SSD (120GB/256GB) HHD (750GB) combo.

That's quite a good feature if you want to offload some bulk storage from the SSD. My works Dell has an SSD with a 512MB HD that replaces the optical drive - HD caddy bought from NewModeUS.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 9, 2013 7:19:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Asus G series is awesome for gaming- the laptops are designed to not overheat and can last longer than a normal laptop.

July 9, 2013 7:21:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you for these replies.

I had looked at the Acer a while ago, but was unsure because of the keyboard and the cooling system, the latter of which seems to be superior in the Asus (dual rear vents).

I'm not sure where to order from in Germany, there doesn't really seem to be something equivalent to NewEgg and the like in America -- unless someone knows of something? I really need a German keyboard, which is why I didn't buy a device elsewhere.

July 9, 2013 7:33:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

Thank you for these replies.

I had looked at the Acer a while ago, but was unsure because of the keyboard and the cooling system, the latter of which seems to be superior in the Asus (dual rear vents).

I'm not sure where to order from in Germany, there doesn't really seem to be something equivalent to NewEgg and the like in America -- unless someone knows of something? I really need a German keyboard, which is why I didn't buy a device elsewhere.

One other thing -- does anyone know anything about how the Acer performs with heat and cooling? I am also unsure about the differences in graphic cards which come with the various products, and which differences are important.

Also, very last question, my current laptop (sony vaio, 4 years old) has 6 gig of memory, I'm wondering if 8 is enough with windows 8. Is upgrading to 16 recommended, or must I upgrade even more (or is more than 16 useless)?

thank you

July 9, 2013 8:50:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting ,

Hi all,

back here in Germany where everything is more expensive and less flexible, I'm hesitant about buying a new laptop because I'm unsure of a couple of things and need some advice. I'm pretty bad at technical things.

I had wanted to buy an Asus G75VW, but apparently you can't get them anymore (at least here), so I am looking at something similar. Here are some questions:

1. Are there any graphic cards that I really should avoid / really ought to have installed?

2. I really would like an SSD, at least for the operating system, but I have heard that Windows 8 (which I guess I'll need to get, since apparently no one offers 7 anymore) has some sort of problem with loading times and SSD which I do not understand. Is that true?

3. Any other last-minute tips?

Thanks so much

don't get Asus, Asus is the most horrible gaming laptop in the world. i currently have Asus j73gh and it just freezes and BSOD frequently to no end. avoid ... i am thinking about getting a Alienware or clevo, or maybe Samsung series 7 gamer, at the very least they don't BSOD for no reason and there won't be any intermittent freeze either, which is what Asus have. absolutely horrible.

July 9, 2013 9:01:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting AgentRamenRice,
don't get Asus, Asus is the most horrible gaming laptop in the world. i currently have Asus j73gh and it just freezes and BSOD frequently to no end. avoid ... i am thinking about getting a Alienware or clevo, or maybe Samsung series 7 gamer, at the very least they don't BSOD for no reason and there won't be any intermittent freeze either, which is what Asus have. absolutely horrible.

If an ASUS laptop [or any other brand] is 'freezing and BSOD frequently' it is likely systemic - ie operator error whom-ever is in charge of maintaining it/installing programs/updates.

My ASUS has no issues. [other than the ones I impose on it] ...

July 9, 2013 12:28:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting AgentRamenRice, reply 7don't get Asus, Asus is the most horrible gaming laptop in the world. i currently have Asus j73gh and it just freezes and BSOD frequently to no end. avoid ... i am thinking about getting a Alienware or clevo, or maybe Samsung series 7 gamer, at the very least they don't BSOD for no reason and there won't be any intermittent freeze either, which is what Asus have. absolutely horrible.

If an ASUS laptop [or any other brand] is 'freezing and BSOD frequently' it is likely systemic - ie operator error whom-ever is in charge of maintaining it/installing programs/updates.

My ASUS has no issues. [other than the ones I impose on it] ...

er... actually no. i got the laptop a year ago. found out there is a problem with intermittent freezing and BSOD. so i followed their website. installed the new bio, updated all my driver. The problem persisted. i have tried every possible way to fix it, but to no avail. i don't think i have screwed up anywhere. i later found the problem to be associated with the hard drive and the motherboard, there is nothing that i can do to fix it aside from sending it back, but at that point of the time, its already too late for any kind of warranty to be in effect. i absolutely hate Asus after that...

July 9, 2013 2:45:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry, I'm just going to ask the couple of questions I had left again because I think it may be overlooked:

4. Is 8GB ram enough with windows 8, or is 16 needed, or does anyone really get 32?

5. Is there a notable difference between the 640M, 650M, 670M, 670MX, 760M or 770M graphic cards?

6. Is there a notable advantage to the Asus cooling system, or a serious disadvantage to Acer's (because the Asus is much more expensive)?

Thank you

July 9, 2013 3:45:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really don't like dealing with Asus support.  Trying to get newer parts for repairs for non-warrany repairs is like pulling all the teeth out of your head.  Ugly and Painful.

Did you have a display size in mind?  Is weight/size an issue?  Most of what I'm seeing are 15.6" and a handful of 17"

I kind of like the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Laptop.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

They have Windows 7 Drivers on the Lenovo site, Win 7 keys are fairly easy to come by legally

July 9, 2013 3:53:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Asus support is terrible.  That said Asus laptops are generally very easy to get repaired compared to other laptops (guy i had fix my old one commented that the parts were solid quality) and I've never had a heat problem at all with either one.

The other laptop I had- major problems.

July 10, 2013 7:23:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks! What about

Quoting onomastikon,

4. Is 8GB ram enough with windows 8, or is 16 needed, or does anyone really get 32?
5. Is there a notable difference between the 640M, 650M, 670M, 670MX, 760M or 770M graphic cards?
6. Is there a notable advantage to the Asus cooling system, or a serious disadvantage to Acer's (because the Asus is much more expensive)?

thanks much

EDIT: In particular, I see that the Asus G75VX (can't get the VW anymore) has a GTX 670MX graphic card, the Acer a GT 760M card, and I have no idea what the difference is, any tip here would be very helpful, thank you

July 10, 2013 8:42:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

Thanks! What about

Quoting onomastikon, reply 10

5. Is there a notable difference between the 640M, 650M, 670M, 670MX, 760M or 770M graphic cards?

thanks much

EDIT: In particular, I see that the Asus G75VX (can't get the VW anymore) has a GTX 670MX graphic card, the Acer a GT 760M card, and I have no idea what the difference is, any tip here would be very helpful, thank you

4. 4gb of random access memory is more than enough with windows 8. for most applications you won't even be able to get to  the usage of 2gb.

5. performance difference primarily, i think the higher the number the better, the one with "X" suffix performs better than the one that doesn't. "X" stands for extreme. in case you want some actual figures, you can check it out from this website: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

6. its like comparing 2 garbage trucks, one is more smellier than the other.  Acer sucks, but so does Asus, but if you want me to rate which one has better cooling, Asus is way better because of its design. You will notice that Acer's cooling isn't as effective as Asus, simply because it draws air from below the laptop, and you know that you don't sit your laptop on a flat desk with cooling every time you power it up.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000906   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.