Object Desktop (Windows 7/ 8 Apps)?

By on July 7, 2013 11:34:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mimiest

Join Date 07/2011
+5

It looks like Object Desktop is currently a Windows 7 program, however I have Windows 8. If I buy Object Desktop now and they come out with an Object Desktop for Windows 8 will I be able to download it?

Also, if I buy Object Desktop will it come with Window Blinds 8 or 7?

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2013 2:01:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Object Desktop ("OD") isn't an actual separate "suite".  You have access to the current versions and updates of the included programs, including pre-public betas, as they become available for one year.  I would not expect an actual "Object Desktop for Windows 8", that's not how it works.

If you go to this page and then follow the detail links ("Learn More" buttons) for each of the programs it may be helpful.

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp

It indicates it comes with WindowBlinds 8.

As with any downloaded software, make safe backups so that you can re-install if needed should you decide not to renew the annual subscription.

July 7, 2013 2:14:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also, if I buy Object Desktop will it come with Window Blinds 8 or 7?

This is a very good question. Say, for instance, a user is running XP or Vista (Yeah, I know...but they are out there) and wants to purchase ODNT. Will ODNT include both WB versions? WB 8 will be unusable to them.

July 9, 2013 11:35:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think support for XP is defunct Wiz. From Vista on up is still good. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 9, 2013 2:03:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

(WindowBlinds 8 and DeskScapes 8 are  Win7/Win8 only, no Vista.)

July 10, 2013 2:02:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Both Windowsblinds 7 & 8 are available in my ODNT subscription.

But I already had ODNT before Win 8 though.

July 11, 2013 9:05:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WindowBlinds 7 is no longer available to new subscribers of Object Desktop (or anyone else).

July 28, 2013 12:12:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have Windows 8 and just bought Object Desktop this past Friday.  I installed each app individually and did have some issues.  The biggest problem is that Theme Manager crashed my system so badly that uninstall could not work, nor could control panel.  Stardock Support has been trying to help me, but the results of a recent scan showed numerous files missing and too many errors that cannot be fixed.  I am now resetting my computer back to factory standards and will be re-installing software, etc to get it back to where it was before I installed the Stardock apps. 

Doing the research now (albeit a bit late, but not a mistake I will make again) it appears that Theme Manager is not intended for Windows 8 yet and still has some debugging that needs to be done.  The Object Desktop sales screen does tell you which applications are ready for Windows 8, so I plan to only install those applications.  Too bad they don't do a better job warning people about the "not quite ready" applications.  It is still worth the price to get the package than to buy each individual application.  After I get my computer back up to snuff, if I continue to have issues I will post another message.

Good luck.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.