Windows 8.1 Issue running Fences 2.1

By on June 27, 2013 10:41:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

erik6

Join Date 04/2012

Same issue as mentioned in other post re: Windows 8.1 - I missed that fact in my original post.

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 27, 2013 11:30:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't think you'll get any answers on this vague post. What original post? I searched the forums and there is no other post by you.

June 27, 2013 11:47:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've always failed to see any merit of people posting support questions regarding a PREVIEW version of an OS.

June 27, 2013 4:48:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With Windows 8.1 Star8 not working as it was

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 27, 2013 5:38:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting paulboud777,
With Windows 8.1 Star8 not working as it was

Quoting Neil Banfield,
There is a beta update of Start8 out now.

July 1, 2013 1:01:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting paulboud777, reply 3With Windows 8.1 Star8 not working as it was

Quoting Neil Banfield, reply 6There is a beta update of Start8 out now.

I installed the beta Start8. I'm happy to say it is working well with windows 8.1. All so it fixed a bug with windowblinds and the start button.

That nasty looking Start Button that came with windows 8.1 was but ugly. lol

July 1, 2013 5:32:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phoon,

I've always failed to see any merit of people posting support questions regarding a PREVIEW version of an OS.

Because we're testing 8.1 for issues exactly like this one so that we can report it to software developers who's software we use?

July 2, 2013 8:20:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Any news on a Fences update for Windows 8.1 Preview?

July 2, 2013 11:55:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
I'm with you on that, Phoon. When did people start expecting things to work far in advance of an actual release version of any software or OS?

Actual support should start after the version is final, unless it is software specifically released for beta testing, IMHO. It seems MS can't wait to shove their latest out the door, finished or not.  Expecting all other software companies to follow suit is just plain ridiculous.

July 3, 2013 12:49:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phoon,

I've always failed to see merit in people leaving snarky replies on internet forums.  Believe it or not, some people are going to land on this page via Google while trying to find a fix for this problem.  (Like me.)  I found this post helpful, and I'm sure other Fences users who are considering trying out 8.1 will as well.

July 3, 2013 2:47:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting illogic6,

I've always failed to see merit in people leaving snarky replies on internet forums.  Believe it or not, some people are going to land on this page via Google while trying to find a fix for this problem.  (Like me.)  I found this post helpful, and I'm sure other Fences users who are considering trying out 8.1 will as well.

It's called common sense. It is a PREVIEW release and software vendors should not be expected to do anything to make their software work on it. A MS Preview release isn't really put out there to test software that changes the default functions of it either.

July 3, 2013 3:07:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Phoon,

Quoting illogic6, reply 9I've always failed to see any merit of people posting support questions regarding a PREVIEW version of an OS.

It's called common sense. It is a PREVIEW release and software vendors should not be expected to do anything to make their software work on it. A MS Preview release isn't really put out there to test software that changes the default functions of it either.

Snark and FUD. None of that is true. Software developers begin testing on OS releases well before public releases are available. Further, the people in this thread are just reporting what they've found, which is very helpful to others, myself included. Pleas feel free to stop reading this thread since you don't like  its content or purpose. You're not helping Stardock by being rude to its customer base in its forums.

July 3, 2013 4:07:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting oeaton,
You're not helping Stardock by being rude to its customer base in its forums.

Hmmm.. I don't see anything that is legitimately classified as being RUDE to anyone. My logical observation has every bit as much validity as does yours. I only added to it upon being accused of being "snarky" and then "rude" (by you). Therefore, it is reasonable to point out that I, am not the rude one here as I've not accused anyone of being anything. I've questioned the merit of people posting support questions regarding a PREVIEW release of an OS. Nothing more. 

Stop putting words where none existed!

July 13, 2013 6:37:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Been watching this thread since I installed the Win 8.1 preview build. It's been very useful in that I at least found out I wasn't alone with the issue, that Stardock was aware of it, and I got the impression that an update was being worked on. I'm calling that merit. A more generous application of 'common sense' might have prevented the failure to see it. Just sayin'. 

Oh -- and there's a 2.11.0 beta available (My Account > My Downloads) that seems to work flawlessly with the Windows 8.1 preview. Yeah, maybe I should have led with that.

July 16, 2013 6:42:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting santiago2,

Been watching this thread since I installed the Win 8.1 preview build. It's been very useful in that I at least found out I wasn't alone with the issue, that Stardock was aware of it, and I got the impression that an update was being worked on. I'm calling that merit. A more generous application of 'common sense' might have prevented the failure to see it. Just sayin'. 

Oh -- and there's a 2.11.0 beta available (My Account > My Downloads) that seems to work flawlessly with the Windows 8.1 preview. Yeah, maybe I should have led with that.

How is it possible to download the 2.11.0 beta testing on Windows 8.1? I have created an account, but "my downloads" is empty (I have not purchased license). Only "Central stardock" is in there and I wanted to try fences on windows 8.1...

July 16, 2013 7:31:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting zangoq,
How is it possible to download the 2.11.0 beta testing on Windows 8.1? I have created an account, but "my downloads" is empty (I have not purchased license). Only "Central stardock" is in there and I wanted to try fences on windows 8.1...

Betas are only available to licensed users.

It's a benefit for them and prevents betas with other issues from going into the wild and causing more issues.

July 16, 2013 8:45:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting zangoq, reply 14How is it possible to download the 2.11.0 beta testing on Windows 8.1? I have created an account, but "my downloads" is empty (I have not purchased license). Only "Central stardock" is in there and I wanted to try fences on windows 8.1...

Betas are only available to licensed users.

It's a benefit for them and prevents betas with other issues from going into the wild and causing more issues.

OK thanks for your reply.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000610   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.