Unable to Move Files and Folders

Windows 8.1 Preview

By on June 27, 2013 6:22:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jgoggs88

Join Date 12/2012

Hello guys,

I've updated Windows to 8.1 Preview. Fences still works but it takes ages to load after booting and also, once Fences has loaded, I am unable to move any files and folders.

I take it an update is in the works?

Thanks.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 27, 2013 8:29:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There is an issue, for some, where a right click on the desktop when it appears has Fences loading as expected.  Can you confirm this works for you?  Also, do you have DeskScapes 8 installed as well?  There is also and issue (rare) with immovable icons when both are installed.

In any case, both are being worked on. 

June 27, 2013 8:53:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting sean_drohan,

There is an issue, for some, where a right click on the desktop when it appears has Fences loading as expected.  Can you confirm this works for you?  Also, do you have DeskScapes 8 installed as well?  There is also and issue (rare) with immovable icons when both are installed.

In any case, both are being worked on. 

Ok so I logged out and in 3 times. After waiting for different intervals I right clicked and each time all files and folders appeared on the desktop. Fences also loaded although I did receive a "Fences has detected that Explorer was not closed properly. As a precaution, Fences has been temporarily disabled." error message. I did just re-enable Fences and all is good but I don't see how Explorer wasn't closed properly.

I do not have DeskScapes 8 installed.

June 27, 2013 8:59:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fences loads fine but I cannot drag files outside of a fence after upgrading to 8.1 Preview as well.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 28, 2013 1:26:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I also have an issue with Fences 2.1 running with Windows 8.1 Preview. I've been running Fences 2.1 on Windows 7 and 8 just fine. After upgrading my laptop with the W8.1 preview update, my fences show up as normal, but I can no longer drag icons on the desktop, or drop new icons on the desktop. When attempting to do a drag or drop, the mouse cursor shows up as disabled (the little circle with a slash through it). To verify that this was a Fences issue, I uninstalled Fences, rebooted, and could once again drag and drop icons. I then reinstalled Fences and the problem immediately recurred.

June 29, 2013 11:00:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey guys,

I got so annoyed with Windows 8.1 that I just went back to Windows 8. It's not worth it at all.

June 29, 2013 2:19:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gerson2,

I also have an issue with Fences 2.1 running with Windows 8.1 Preview. I've been running Fences 2.1 on Windows 7 and 8 just fine. After upgrading my laptop with the W8.1 preview update, my fences show up as normal, but I can no longer drag icons on the desktop, or drop new icons on the desktop. When attempting to do a drag or drop, the mouse cursor shows up as disabled (the little circle with a slash through it). To verify that this was a Fences issue, I uninstalled Fences, rebooted, and could once again drag and drop icons. I then reinstalled Fences and the problem immediately recurred.

I'm having the same issue. After installing win 8.1

The only other stardock software I am running window blinds and icon packager I tried uninstalling icon packager. It did not work.

I've uninstalled fences rebooted' reinstalled it rebooted. I tried just about every setting in fences control panel.  

June 29, 2013 2:23:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mskov,

Fences loads fine but I cannot drag files outside of a fence after upgrading to 8.1 Preview as well.

It took me a day to get all my software to work with windows 8.1. Now that I have using work a rounds and such. It's running smoothly.

October 24, 2013 5:42:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How did you get Fences to work with Windows 8.1.  Cannot moves files between fences.

October 24, 2013 8:28:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Having problems with the fences update too, on Windows 7 64bit. Shortcuts won't move into fences, items in folders don't do anything when double clicked...

October 24, 2013 8:37:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

update... just went into settings and turned quick hide on and off. Seems to have sorted it all out...

October 25, 2013 6:31:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quick hide did not work for me. Copy and paste did.

October 27, 2013 4:49:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem.  Just upgraded to Win 8.1. Worked fine in Win 8.  Now the only way I can move files and folders is by cut and paste too.  Quick hide did not work for me

October 27, 2013 7:59:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Make sure you are using Fences 2.11 or later.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.