Cannot Move Icons

By on June 26, 2013 7:00:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

LeGraham

Join Date 11/2012

I am encountering a problem with icons unable to be move at all on the desktop or inside of fences.

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 28, 2013 1:28:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I also have an issue with Fences 2.1 running with Windows 8.1 Preview. I've been running Fences 2.1 on Windows 7 and 8 just fine. After upgrading my laptop with the W8.1 preview update, my fences show up as normal, but I can no longer drag icons on the desktop, or drop new icons on the desktop. When attempting to do a drag or drop, the mouse cursor shows up as disabled (the little circle with a slash through it). To verify that this was a Fences issue, I uninstalled Fences, rebooted, and could once again drag and drop icons. I then reinstalled Fences and the problem immediately recurred.

June 28, 2013 2:10:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

+1

June 28, 2013 8:34:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm having the same problem.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 28, 2013 10:47:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Me three. I am having the same issues. This is actually pretty annoying considering that Win 8.1 was supposed to make me happy. Stardock, you're awesome, please fix this quickly!

June 30, 2013 6:39:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

+1

June 30, 2013 6:51:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please remember Windows 8.1 is a beta update.

I imagine an updated version of Fences will be provided before Windows 8.1 leaves beta and I suspect most likely it will be within the next couple of weeks.

June 30, 2013 12:33:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had this problem until I turned off "Auto Arrange icons" and "Align icons to grid". Access it by right clicking on the home screen --> View --> 

July 1, 2013 11:32:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm running Windows 8.1 and with Fences Public (1.01) and Fences 2 I am unable to move my desktop icons as well. I currently have "Auto Arrange Icons" and "Align Icons to Grid" unchecked.

If it helps, I'm also running the latest version of Modernmix and beta of Start8.

July 1, 2013 12:52:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As Neil Banfield said an update will be out soon.

October 17, 2013 8:23:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Any update on this?

Win 8.1 released today and I'm still seeing this issue.

October 17, 2013 8:52:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same. I just bought Stardock today, and to my inconvenience it was right when the 8.1 update came out. So please update soon!

October 17, 2013 8:59:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've got the same problem with 8.1. In addition, I'm hoping that the startup problem will be fixed on the next release as this persists in plaguing me as well. Finally, Bins will not run at all after the upgrade to 8.1 Will post about that little annoyance separately...

October 17, 2013 9:16:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bins is not a Stardock product, so you will need to report any issues with that with the author.

On the Fences issue do you have the latest version installed?  It should be version 2.11.

October 17, 2013 9:53:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This issue have been fixed for awhile now.

October 18, 2013 8:36:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I updated to the latest version of Fences and still had the problem. Double checked and Auto Arrange Icons was checked by default for some reason, unchecked it and still had the issue.

Uninstalled ModernMix and the issue went away.

October 18, 2013 8:53:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sisca,

I updated to the latest version of Fences and still had the problem. Double checked and Auto Arrange Icons was checked by default for some reason, unchecked it and still had the issue.

I think the removal of ModernMix was a coincidence, I suspect it was the reboot required for the uninstall that sorted it.

October 18, 2013 11:24:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting Sisca, reply 15

I think the removal of ModernMix was a coincidence, I suspect it was the reboot required for the uninstall that sorted it.

Why?

I had rebooted several times trying to fix this and other issues. Or do you mean that I would need to reboot after un-checking the Auto Arrange box? If so that makes no sense as you don't need to do that without fences for that change to take effect.

October 18, 2013 12:15:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sisca,

Quoting Neil Banfield, reply 16

Quoting Sisca, reply 15

Why?

I had rebooted several times trying to fix this and other issues. Or do you mean that I would need to reboot after un-checking the Auto Arrange box? If so that makes no sense as you don't need to do that without fences for that change to take effect.

ModernMix has no code even closely relating to drag & drop or the desktop.  But removing it would have forced a reboot.

In the past we have found a drag & drop issue in Fences with DeskScapes which was very timing sensitive and so would only show sometimes after a reboot.  This was resolved in the latest Fences build too though.

October 18, 2013 7:36:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just installed win 8.1 from store.

Same problem

Auto arrange unchecked.

I am also unable to UNcheck show desktop icons.

If I try to move any icon, I get a "stop" overlay

October 18, 2013 9:10:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same issue after installing W8.1 final - moving of icons within a fence or inbetween others is not possible.

Fences Version: 2.1

October 18, 2013 9:22:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Installing the most recent version of Fences (2.11) from your account page will resolve the issue:

https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products

October 18, 2013 11:10:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You are right, 2.11 solved the problem. Thanks!

October 18, 2013 11:37:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thought I had 2.11, but download also fixed it here, though the process of downloading for an existing customer is awfully convoluted.  

Now, if they'd only fix the "Exclude this icon from Fences quick-hide."

October 20, 2013 10:47:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm also have

Quoting sean_drohan,

Installing the most recent version of Fences (2.11) from your account page will resolve the issue:

https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products

I'm also having the same issue after upgrading to Win 8.1.  My installed version of Fences is 2.10.

However using the link you provided brings me to a Download page that only offers me Fences 2.0.

Where can I download 2.11 to to fix this?

Thanks

October 21, 2013 9:49:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When you sign into your account page here https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products and then hover over the download button, you will see the version is 2.11 http://screencast.com/t/cuFTTR5cpE

If for some reason you still have the issue after updating and rebooting, please download and run the following utility:

http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com so we can look into this for you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001078   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.