Color settings get shared in multi-user environment

By on June 24, 2013 10:20:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hiedran

Join Date 01/2005
+3

Forgive me if using WB8 in a multi-user environment is against the EULA, but I've found the color settings get shared among my two administrator accounts on Windows 8.  (I know that this isn't best security practice.)

To replicate:

• Select skin and recolor (purple (row 1, column 5) on account 1)
  • Log out
  • Select skin and recolor (green (row 3, column 3) on account 2, skin doesn't matter)
  • Log out
  • Log back into account 1
  • Skin is now green

I've used the following skin combos:

• Win8 purple/Win8 green
  • Win8 purple/Diamond green
Info below:

Windows 8 Pro (9200.win8_gdr.130410-1505)
WindowBlinds 8.0 (017 - Windows 8 Edition) - 64 bit OS

Wblind.dll 2013/06/18 08:17:ll
Wblind64.dll 2013/06/18 08:17:39
Wbsrv.dll 2013/06/18 07:44:40
WB8Config.exe 2013/06/18 07:44:29
Wbload.dll 2013/06/17 08:03:35
Screen.exe 2013/06/06 07:52:23

Did I leave anything out?

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 25, 2013 9:45:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hello Hiedran,

That's probably because the skins and its settings are located and saved in the "Public Documents" folder,

not in user specific ones. Like this: "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\WindowBlinds"

And all users have access to the Public Documents.

Regards,

Dani

June 25, 2013 5:49:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting danioc,
That's probably because the skins and its settings are located and saved in the "Public Documents" folder,

not in user specific ones. Like this: "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\WindowBlinds"

And all users have access to the Public Documents.

Yes, all users do have access to public docs.  

I don't think that explains my second scenario, where I recolored a different blind (Diamond) and my first user ID's blind (Win8) was now green.

June 25, 2013 5:51:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Hiedran,
I don't think that explains my second scenario, where I recolored a different blind (Diamond) and my first user ID's blind (Win8) was now green.

Now that I actually look at the folder and see some .ini files there, maybe it does explain though I can't see a skin color setting right now.  Perhaps a feature request to save color settings in the user's AppData folder?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 25, 2013 9:41:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hiedran,

When I said that the skins and its settings are save din the Public Documents,

its settings include the color and transparency settings too.

When you add a custom color, transparency or texture setting, they will be saved

in the skin folder with the extension .WBO7

If the presets bother you when they appear in another account, you can just save this

preset as a skin substyle so when you open the skin in another account, it ail load it's

default substyle, with no custom settings, just make sure you turn off any custom setting

after you save your custom substyle.

June 25, 2013 11:13:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did understand what you were saying.  Evidently the issue was with how I tested.

There seems to be a little "memory" of what the color settings were on a per-account basis.  When I logged into my domain account this morning, it was a hideous green (at least for the background) that was set for my local account.  When I opened WB, the configuration screen showed that it should have been purple.

The issue with my testing seems to deal with the exact procedure I followed yesterday.

1. Set Win8 skin to purple on domain account
  2. Set Win8 skin to green on local account
  3. See Win8 skin is green on domain account
  4. Reset Win8 skin to purple on domain account
  5. See Win8 skin is purple on local account

I think there were some residual settings that affected my testing, kind of like a race condition.  I'm pretty sure I set the local account to default skin before testing Diamond with green.  Then I logged into the domain account to find out it was green again.

With my frustration, I simply set the local account to the default Win8 skin this morning.

Just now, I wanted to re-verify my test case, so I set my local account to Diamond/green.  I then quickly switched (log out/log in) over to the domain account to find out its Win8/purple settings are still intact.

End result, no issue.  (Other than me.)

I may play with your substyle suggestion to see if I can have Win8 styles on different accounts with different color schemes, but I'm currently satisfied with the Diamond/green and Win8/purple styles on my local/domain account.

Thank you for your help, danioc, and keep skinning.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.