8.0 Does not skin TASKBAR after reboot - SOLVED - REVISTED

Skinning Issues

By on June 23, 2013 2:00:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

splitspirit

Join Date 06/2010
+5

Having tried many options and searching forums, I have yet to find a solution to why Taskbar will not skin on reboot or cold boot after having chosen skin. Also the Charms/Settings bar will not show any text below Title.

To work around this issue, I must load default skin, then load desired skin.

The picture links below will show issue and also provide all needed information.

And yes, that is Treetogs Sputnik from 2005. However, I have this issue with any and all skins.

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/MichaelField/library/

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 24, 2013 7:19:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The only solution I personally have found that works best for me though it is only a workaroud is to:

Upon reboot or start up, I unload Windowblinds, then click on a wbload shortcut I pinned to the taskbar. This will load the skin I last used - treetogs Sputnik 2005. This is the quickest solution so far I've found.

I hope this helps those who may have the same problem until a solution can be found.

To see the problem, look at pics by following the link posted in previous post.

I have installed from both Stardock Central and also a standalone Window-blind 8.0., rebooting after each install.

All apps are registered.

June 24, 2013 7:44:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi splitspirit,

Does that happen if you load another, more newer skin? Could you try applying the skin called

Echo that ships with WB and reboot, then see  if the taskbar skin ok?

I would try that cause as I see in your screenshot you where using a very old and now outdated

skin.

June 24, 2013 7:55:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the reply danioc.

As I posted earlier however...   ( And yes, that is Treetogs Sputnik from 2005. However, I have this issue with any and all skins.)

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 24, 2013 8:19:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just tried the Echo skin, (nice one dani  ),  and rebooted to see same issue.

My suspicion to date is this Laptop, but with the workaround, I'll survive while hoping a Windowblinds update will flush out the problem.

Jake/Guardian

June 24, 2013 8:26:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm glad you like the skin

About the issueI will talk to Neil and see if there is something we can do to find what is causing the issue

cause if the taskbar is ok when you reload the skin, it should be ok when you boot up too.

June 24, 2013 8:28:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Dani, I'll keep in touch.

June 24, 2013 8:46:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi,

I am working with windows 8 32Bit,Wb 8 and i don`t have any problems with the taskbar.

what i remembered that when i use system mechanic or other Aggressive Tool,i had some problems with Wb Skin.

about your Question with Echo skin,i used with Echo Skin,no problems,i am very sorry for you.

i hope that stardock support will help you with this problem,Good Luck

June 28, 2013 11:01:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

UPDATE:

Had to perform a System refresh. While in a pristine state  ie: (no anti virus ect.), loaded Windowblinds 8.0 applied skin, rebooted and still got the same problem.

Have no idea why.

June 28, 2013 11:16:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Taskbar issue happens here too.

-No show after reboot. Although not such a big problem for me I just have to apply the skin again in WB.

Kind of annoying though. 

June 28, 2013 11:23:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting neone6,

Taskbar issue happens here too.

-No show after reboot. Although not such a big problem for me I just have to apply the skin again in WB.

Kind of annoying though. 

Is your machine auto logging in?

June 28, 2013 11:26:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great you´re On Neil.

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Is your machine auto logging in?
Hmmm... I never log in so I suppose so 

June 28, 2013 1:06:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've got the same taskbar problem with several blinds...Chronos is an example...Add to that wide spread and general instability makes me think I'll go back to WB7.

June 28, 2013 1:20:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting grump11,

I've got the same taskbar problem with several blinds...Chronos is an example...Add to that wide spread and general instability makes me think I'll go back to WB7.

What kind of instability?

The issue in question will be specific to Windows 8 I believe so if you have issues with taskbars please let us know more details as it will be something completely different.

June 28, 2013 2:25:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Running 64bWin7Pro and I have the same taskbar problems as are mentioned above.  When I say general and wide spread instability, I mean just that.  Every thing from dis-function to crash. If something can go wrong, it will.

June 28, 2013 9:56:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good news!

I got Windowblinds 8.0 working now.

Apparently there were some leftovers from McAfee AV running hidden in the background after having been uninstalled a month ago. It took a special .exe remover from McAfee to clean the files, it also totaled out Intels Anti-Theft app for Laptops which was also McAfee's and I cleaned out that residue.

I also shut down Skype, not simply turning it off, same for Windows Defender.

Can't say for sure which or all was the culprit preventing Windowblinds from installing several files to the registry, but upon reboot my taskbar remained skinned.

I'll try it again come morning from a startup boot.

I have spent a week with this thing trying everything.

Neil Banfield does have a fine working product here, he just makes you work for it... j/k Neil.

Also, thanks to Zubaz for steering me in the right direction.

I have used Windowblinds since Windows ME and it has worked darn good, this was the first time I ever had such hassles and it was my own machine.

June 28, 2013 10:01:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting grump11,

Running 64bWin7Pro and I have the same taskbar problems as are mentioned above.  When I say general and wide spread instability, I mean just that.  Every thing from dis-function to crash. If something can go wrong, it will.

I would recommend you contact support@stardock.com because this is not the typical experience with WindowBlinds 8.  If you are getting crashes then please do report them so we have information to work with.

June 28, 2013 10:29:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I couldn't wait until morning,,,

IT WORKS!! 

Now if someone could add THAT to the thread title.

June 28, 2013 10:34:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting splitspirit,
I couldn't wait until morning,,,

IT WORKS!! 

Now if someone could add THAT to the thread title.

You can edit the OP yourself to read [Solved] in the title.

June 28, 2013 10:40:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Wizard, wasn't sure I could do that.

June 28, 2013 11:08:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

June 29, 2013 1:01:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bump for all you users with Intel based laptops. This may be of interest to you.....or not.

Quoting splitspirit,
Intels Anti-Theft app for Laptops which was also McAfee's

This brings to mind the trouble with Stardock programs  caused by Acer eSecurity. Worth looking into.

July 6, 2013 12:42:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just wanted to update.

Started have same problem of taskbar not skinning after reboot.

This time I had only re-installed Intel's Anti-Theft Service which is actually a McAfee product.

Right away I began to have problems not only with the taskbar, but other services were acting strange.

Intel's AT service encrypts everything, and who knows what else it does. There is a large list of things that gets installed.

Eventually as my system struggled (and I have plenty of ram and disc space), it would begin to corrupt and I would have to run "sfc /scannow" just to repair those files before the corruption spread to a full catastrophic system meltdown.

Windowblinds seems to have the most trouble with Intel's AT service, not sure how or why. I use CursorFX Plus without problems, and have tried Start8 and Decor8 the latter two were removed at the height of all the trouble, will try them again in a few days.

I did not notice any problems running Intel's AT service before I started using Windowblinds.

Now that Intel's AT Service is gone, everything is running smooth again like it should.

I enjoy using Windowblinds so the tradeoff isn't easily weighed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.