WB8 and Windows Color and Appearance App

By on June 22, 2013 11:54:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

dxmc

Join Date 03/2010
+4

There seem to be quite a few problems with WB8. Amongst other things, when you apply a skin it usually changes the desktop color. If you want to keep your own choice of desktop color then, previously, you had to right click on the desktop, go to personalization and change it in the advance settings, Windows 7 color and Appearance app.

Now, in WB8, when you go into the Color and Appearance app and change the desktop color it indicates that it's doing that but the color doesn't change. But if you then log off and log back in again he selected color has been applied.

It was always kind of a nuisance having to change the desktop color every time a new skin was applied. Clearly having to log off and log on to change the desktop color when a skin is applied is a regression, not an improvement.Overall WB8 seems to be lot less functional than the previous version. Has anyone else encountered this problem with the Color and Appearance app or knows of a fix ?

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 22, 2013 2:20:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There seem to be quite a few problems with WB8. Amongst other things, when you apply a skin it usually changes the desktop color.
That's a problem? Silly me, I thought that was a desired effect.   If you wish to recolor things with a blind applied, use the recolor feature in WB's.

June 22, 2013 2:24:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windowblinds has always overwritten the color changes in Personalization. Nothing has changed.

Use one or the other. Not both.

As Wizard1956 said, use WB8 to recolor, not windows.

June 22, 2013 5:06:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You don't understand what I said, and you don't seem to know much about Windows. Previously it worked like this;

1. Apply skin, skin changes desktop color.

2. If you want to then change the desktop color back to what it was, (I prefer black),

a. Right click on desktop

b. Click on Personalization

c. Click on Window Color

d. Click on Advancedd Appearance Settings

e. Select desired color from drop-down next to Desktop

f. Click apply

g. The desktop freezes and a Please Wait message pops up.

h. The selected color is then applied.

Now with WB8, after 2g, the selected color is not applied. An additional step is required, logging out and logging back in, only then is the selected color applied.

With wallpapers smaller than full screen the desktop is partially exposed. Oftentimes the background color applied by a skin does not match the wallpaper. Oftentimes a black background best sets off the wallpaper. So it's not unusual to want to choose your own desktop color and previously that was not particularly difficult. It is much more troublesome now because logging off and on may mean having to close and re-open any number of programs, files, etc.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 22, 2013 5:22:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dxmc,
You don't understand what I said,

Screenshots might help, because you aren't making yourself clear.

Windowblinds overwrites the settings you're talking about.

June 22, 2013 5:23:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows Color and Appearance App
  If you think that is an
"App" then it is you who knows little about Windows.

I would say 99.9 % of WindowBlinds users have the color applied by WB's so what you are doing is a bit unusual. Screenshots would help.

June 22, 2013 5:36:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dxmc,
With wallpapers smaller than full screen the desktop is partially exposed. Oftentimes the background color applied by a skin does not match the wallpaper. Oftentimes a black background best sets off the wallpaper.

Ah, I see now what you are wanting to do. I never use a wall that doesn't fit full screen but I can see where the ability to change that color would be handy if, for instance, you had a lot of walls in smaller resolutions. You may want to post this issue in the WB8/WB8 beta bug thread.

June 22, 2013 5:39:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, you mean the desktop color when your wallpaper isn't full screen. Wizard1956 figured it out as he and I have been working to help you with this. I would never use an undersized wall, so I didn't get your meaning at first.

It doesn't mean I don't know anything about Windows. It means I don't use non fitting walls. I gave up XP features when I gave up XP.

June 22, 2013 5:41:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
You may want to post this issue in the WB8/WB8 beta bug thread.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/444609/page/14/#3373692

June 22, 2013 5:52:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We got it a few replies back. And I said, you are correct, it doesn't work.

June 22, 2013 5:53:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

OK, you mean the desktop color when your wallpaper isn't full screen. Wizard1956 figured it out as he and I have been working to help you with this. I would never use an undersized wall, or a solid color, so I didn't get your meaning at first.

It doesn't mean I don't know anything about Windows. It means I don't use non fitting walls. I gave up XP features when I gave up XP.

June 22, 2013 5:57:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dxmc,
I don't think I can make it any clearer.
 That would be transparency, not color.

BTW, even on XP (how 2002 can you get?) Personalization wasn't an "App"

As I said, you are better served by posting this in the support thread, along with the other "quite a few problems" you are reporting to have.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/444609/page/14/#3373692

And have you considered finding wallpapers in the correct size for your resolution, resizing yours or setting to fill or stretch? A large area around a desktop wall, regardless of color, to me , would be just plain ugly.

June 22, 2013 6:34:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
And have you considered finding wallpapers in the correct size for your resolution, resizing yours or setting to fill or stretch? A large area around a desktop wall, regardless of color, to me , would be just plain ugly.

I have walls in many sizes. This is a nice effect. Art by Vladimir Kush. I've just never heard of anybody always using full-size walls all the time. I use artwork, personal pictures, a lot of it doesn't look good if it's over-enlarged or distorted. I'm just kind of stunned that in a customization forum people wonder why you would want to change your desktop background color . Sticking with full size walls is a little limiting, there's a lot you can do with smaller walls and different background colors.

June 22, 2013 6:50:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dxmc,
a lot of it doesn't look good if it's over-enlarged or distorted. I'm just kind of stunned that in a customization forum people wonder why you would want to change your desktop background color . Sticking with full size walls is a little limiting, there's a lot you can do with smaller walls and different background colors.

I agree with your points, it just never occured to me to do things that way. I started with a 4:3 CRT @ 1024x768 and when I went to a 16:10 widescreen, I just found new walls. Now I run 2 monitors and prefer panoramic or dual screen walls that span both screens. The great thing about customizing Windows is that you  (and I) can have our desktop look just the way we want it...with a little help from Stardock.

June 22, 2013 8:15:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you wish to change the desktop background colour permanently in a skin for your own satisfaction, see the answer in this thread: http://forums.wincustomize.com/445985/page/1/#3374146

June 22, 2013 9:23:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks very much, LS that solves the problem neatly. I pretty much always want the desktop color black so that's really an ideal workaround.

June 22, 2013 10:22:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have people come into my shop thinking something is wrong with their computer if their wall is not covering the whole screen. not a lot but it does happen. lol

You would not believe the things people bring their computers in for.

June 26, 2013 12:55:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

If you wish to change the desktop background colour permanently in a skin for your own satisfaction, see the answer in this thread: http://forums.wincustomize.com/445985/page/1/#3374146[/quote]

I've now found that that doesn't work for all skins. With some skins when you apply a different background color in SkinStudio it works until you log out, then when you come back it's reverted to the skin applied color. If you then go into SkinStudio it still shows as the selected color the new color that you applied but in fact the color has reverted back and has to be applied again.

July 23, 2013 6:36:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It looks like this bug has now been fixed in the latest Beta, 8.0.1.0. Thanks Stardock !

July 23, 2013 7:37:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I love happy endings. [e digicons]:')[/e]

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.