Windowblinds 8.0

By on June 20, 2013 7:38:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

horvmark

Join Date 01/2013

Hi!

I've just downloaded the windowblinds 8.0 for my windows 8 x64. I installed without problem, but when I try to apply any skin I get an error message: "Windowsblineds does not installed correctly on your machine. Would you like to fix this issue now?"

Please help me I would be happy if I can change this ugly appearance of win8...

30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 20, 2013 7:56:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You might get this if you did not reboot after the install.  Also, try disabling your antivirus so that it still is so after a reboot and try to install \ use WindowBlinds again.

June 20, 2013 7:58:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are you using ESET AV?

If so you need to manually allow wbcore.exe to be whitelisted under the HIPS feature.

We spoke to them about this some time ago and were told they were whitelisting it, but it may be this has not happened yet for some reason.

June 20, 2013 9:15:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windowblinds 8.0 working flawlessly on windows7 x64 amd windows 8 pro x64

Thank you Stardock.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 20, 2013 9:21:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can this still be used on XP or no? 

June 20, 2013 9:27:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WB8 only supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.

For Windows XP and Vista you should use WB7 which I believe can still be purchased.  Should you wish to you can mail sales@stardock.com and they should be able to assist with that.

June 20, 2013 9:34:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thx problem solved:) Eset AV was the problem. Now the program works perfectly.

June 20, 2013 12:10:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Congratulations on the Final of Windowblinds for Win8.  This version has addressed ALL the issues I ran across during the betas.  Good Work!

June 20, 2013 12:38:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Had some initial problems caused by ESET HIPS. Totally disabling HIPS lets WB8 work (and it is EXCELLENT!) but I'm having trouble with just allowing wbcore. ESET's rule creation process leaves me baffled. Any chance you could provide specifics?

Thanks  in advance and thanks for a really great program!

June 20, 2013 12:49:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DougI,

Had some initial problems caused by ESET HIPS. Totally disabling HIPS lets WB8 work (and it is EXCELLENT!) but I'm having trouble with just allowing wbcore. ESET's rule creation process leaves me baffled. Any chance you could provide specifics?

Thanks  in advance and thanks for a really great program!

Open the configuration window for ESET, click on the setup option.

Then under Computer you should see something called HIPS with a green dot and enabled next to it.  Click on enabled and pick setup from the menu.

On the Advanced setup screen find the configure rules button and click it.

Then click new... at the bottom

Give the rule a name like WindowBlinds and set action to ALLOW.

Then on the source applications tab pick Add... and browse to the WindowBlinds directory and select wbcore.exe

As best I can tell you do not need to configure any of the permissions on the other tabs, but if this still does not work then just tick them all.

Then click ok on each of the dialogs and sign out. 

When you sign back in you should find WindowBlinds 8 is now happy with ESET (or rather ESET is happy with WindowBlinds)

June 20, 2013 7:36:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is it normal for WB8 to kill all apps and force logoff every time a new blind is applied?

June 20, 2013 7:46:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting garbanz0,

Is it normal for WB8 to kill all apps and force logoff every time a new blind is applied?

No.

June 20, 2013 8:05:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So... What's going on with that then

June 21, 2013 9:21:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting garbanz0,

So... What's going on with that then

Collecting data might be prudent at this point.

Please download and run the following utility: http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send  the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com

(Please reference this post in the email)

Thanks,

June 21, 2013 12:27:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hoops, looks like StartisBack has serious issues with that release. Their start menu is invisible for most templates. I contact the owner but I think he's a bit pissed. Hopefully you'll sort it out with him.

TX

June 21, 2013 1:10:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting momo51,

hoops, looks like StartisBack has serious issues with that release. Their start menu is invisible for most templates. I contact the owner but I think he's a bit pissed. Hopefully you'll sort it out with him.

TX

We had a customer tell us about one issue earlier in the beta which was fixed in later betas and then informed us all was well.

The beta was open from beta 2 onwards so I am surprised nobody let us know, but we are willing to help them resolve the problem.

June 21, 2013 1:34:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

BTW if anyone does have an issue with an app, please do let us know.  Our aim is to work with everything.

As a heads up, we are aware there seems to be an issue with the DisplayFusion secondary taskbars in the release build which we are investigating.

June 21, 2013 2:25:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just uncovered an issue with WB8. The window frame components of Oracle VirtualBox Manager and virtual machines windows are not being displayed. These components are completely transparent, but the close, minimize and maximize controls work. I tried several different skins and they all had transparent frames. I apologize for not providing a screen shot, but I haven't figured out how to use the Insert/Edit Image button.

Windows 7 Home Premium (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
WindowBlinds 8.0 (017 - Windows 7 Edition) - 64 bit OS

Wblind.dll 2013/06/18 09:17:ll
Wblind64.dll 2013/06/18 09:17:39
Wbsrv.dll 2013/06/18 08:44:40
WB8Config.exe 2013/06/18 08:44:29
Wbload.dll 2013/06/17 09:03:35
Screen.exe 2013/06/06 08:52:23

June 21, 2013 2:38:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kku,
I just uncovered an issue with WB8. The window frame components of Oracle VirtualBox Manager and virtual machines windows are not being displayed. These components are completely transparent, but the close, minimize and maximize controls work. I tried several different skins and they all had transparent frames.

Where?

Quoting kku,
I apologize for not providing a screen shot, but I haven't figured out how to use the Insert/Edit Image button.

Upload your image to some image hosting site and put the image path in the form.  Or just paste the link into the normal editor and we'll figure it out.

June 21, 2013 9:03:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess you are never to old to learn something new even when I am 66. I uploaded a pic showing the issue with VirtualBox. The background window is Chrome with the Vintage Tiffany blind. The foreground window is the VirtualBox manager (4.2.14). Notice that the title bar is transparent and shows the background text. Also, notice that the left side of the frame is transparent, but the frame can be grabbed and the window controls work if you can find them.

WB8/VirtualBox Window Frame

June 22, 2013 5:44:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The ESET fix worked but there's one extra step if you have HIPS disabled: enable it and reboot. If you create the rule before you reboot it forgets the rule.

It's great to have Windows looking good again! Thanks!! 

June 24, 2013 10:27:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kku,

I guess you are never to old to learn something new even when I am 66. I uploaded a pic showing the issue with VirtualBox. The background window is Chrome with the Vintage Tiffany blind. The foreground window is the VirtualBox manager (4.2.14). Notice that the title bar is transparent and shows the background text. Also, notice that the left side of the frame is transparent, but the frame can be grabbed and the window controls work if you can find them.

Please download and run the following utility: http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com so we can see what might be causing this.

Thanks,

June 26, 2013 10:56:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thought I would drop this in here to see if anyone might be able to help.

Frankly, I have tried about everything I know on my computer just short of re-writing the code.

http://forums.stardock.com/446002/page/1/#3374895

Ticket ID: CLP-761-49283
   Subject: Windowblinds 8.0 not skinning TASKBAR after startup/reboot - Win8 64 OS
   Department: WindowBlinds
   Type: Issue
   Priority: Support

About all I can say at this point is, Thanks for looking and grateful for any/all replies.

June 26, 2013 11:35:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I only just now noticed your reply to my post. I have submitted a support request (#PUF-428-16127).

June 28, 2013 9:53:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bump

June 28, 2013 12:57:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting splitspirit,
About all I can say at this point is, Thanks for looking and grateful for any/all replies.

I've replied and await your response.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.