I was just wondering how our day would go if........

By on June 15, 2013 1:13:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly0381

Join Date 11/2004
+824

Okay, you clicked on the thread so to finish my thought......everyone would only tell the truth when asked a question.

Yeah I know there was a recent movie out call The Invention of Lying that was centered around this.

It seems that most of the things wrong with our day to day life deals with and is centered around everyone, for what ever reason, finding it hard or impossible to tell the truth.  Now I can see some of the problems that would surface right away, would anyone ever vote for a politician or would fathers ever let their daughters go out on a date.  Would a wife stop asking about how see looks wearing certain articles of clothing?  How about all the commercials talking about the best product ever?

Could we survive with only hearing the truth or must we hear what we want to hear in order to get through the day?  To use a movie quote "You want the truth, you can't handle the truth."

So lets hear your thoughts on this subject.   This is not meant for expressions of Political or Religious views just your thoughts on the subject.  

24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 15, 2013 1:31:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The Invention of Lying

The devil made me do it!    

It's all lies!  We live in The Matrix. 

June 15, 2013 2:47:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My day would go fantastic if people would completely stop killing each other in the name of their God.

June 15, 2013 3:12:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If we all heard the truth everyday, and as an American, about half the population (republicans) would have there heads explode, they thrive on living within the lies concocted by faux news.  The rest of us, would all be fine, hell, with that many heads exploding, some real change and progress would happen, no more morons to vote.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 15, 2013 3:19:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Crono908,

If we all heard the truth everyday, and as an American, about half the population (republicans) would have there heads explode, they thrive on living within the lies concocted by faux news.  The rest of us, would all be fine, hell, with that many heads exploding, some real change and progress would happen, no more morons to vote.

"This is not meant for expressions of Political or Religious views just your thoughts on the subject."

June 15, 2013 3:25:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Topic reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the Cheers tv show which has stuck with me for decades.  After becoming frustrated with Sam, Coach tells Sam:

"Oh, just tell me what you want to hear and I'll act like a $10 hooker and try to say it like I mean it!"

I suppose if everyone told "the truth" our day would indeed go very ... uh... differently.  Particularly since "the truth" usually involves individual opinion and perception and does not necessarily equal "reality".  We'd probably never get anything done.

June 15, 2013 4:17:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was just wondering how the day would go if ---------------- People would tell the truth about what they are actually thinking. Stop worrying about hurting someones feelings if they asked you a question and you tell them the truth. If a person doesn't like the truth than you don't need them.

Would a wife stop asking about how see looks wearing certain articles of clothing? For 45 years my wife asked me that very question many times. Sometimes I said you look great and sometimes I told her what I thought didn't look right. She never got mad at me and actually wanted my opinion and always thanked me.

People need to stop blaming other people or things and live up to what they actually did. That would be telling the truth.

This World has really become a World of fabrication, what people think they want to hear, and not telling much truth but just enough mixed in with the fabrication.

I love it when people ask me. Please tell me what is wrong here. If you don't know you say no. However if you actually kbow and tell them they get mad at you. Those are the people that one doesn't need. Truth is a very important thing I learned at a young age because I was brought up that way. Not so much now and I can see from my own Grandchildren and other peoples children. That's the way the world is now and truth is very limited these days. It's all about, I didn't do that and people believing them instead of investigating the situation to find the truth..

June 16, 2013 4:01:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't ya just love stuff that comes in different flavors. There's this version and that version and something else in between that is what really happened. Its a yin and yang moment, you can't have one without the other. On the one hand is total complacency and on the other total chaos. There must be a place in between to balance it. You exaggerate, omit details, add a few here and there...color it. Change it so that its impact may not be as severe. All truth or all lies...take your pick.

June 16, 2013 4:27:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lying is not a useless thing, though recently it became a strong habit of everyone, even if you think of girls using tons of make-up and paying for plastic surgeries... Just to alter reality. Isn't this a lie too? And sometimes small lies make you progress in life (though not big ones, that will surely cause trouble sooner or later). Nowadays everything is about lying, politics, economy, school (in our country many students use cheating to get better grades though I hear it is not a habit in the Americas), everyday life, we are sorrounded by lies every day because the truth is so bad.. People would panic if they knew the truth of everything.. Like global warming is not a stupid conspiracy theory and mankind is facing a brutal planet-wide catastrophy in some decades.. Americans like to think there is nothing wrong with their lifestyle, and this is a lie too, threatening the future.

I don't think humans would be able to live without lies, it is such a big part of our everyday life.

In smaller fields, like a person's life, you have to be careful what you do. Recently I went for telling the truth most of the times, but sometimes it is not the best option.. If I think about it, I would prefer in many cases to be lied to, if the truth was something that would make me sad or depressed for months or so.. But in the most important things like love, lying is the option of the stupid, like "I love you" (though I don't.. i hate it when people say this after a week just to please the other, so stupid, taking away the value of real loving...), or telling that you like something just to please the other one and giving up a part of yourself.. these lies will lead you on a road that has a certain end: failure and sadness...

June 16, 2013 4:32:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally I think very few people could handle a "flip of the switch" from living calm lives where people lie to them, to going to a world where only truth can be spoken (and MUST be spoken apparently?). Likely it would result in the whole economic system collapsing over a period of days. You think harassment at the work place is a big issue today? Try a day in a world where you can't lie.

Hey beautiful, I want to fuck your ass. I didn't listen to what you asked because I was busy imagining [explicit act].

Hey, I seriously hate your face, it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't want to be near you, your smell makes me think of dead people.

Hey, I met your kids the other day when I was picking up mine at school - your kids sure are fuck-ugly evil little things.

Hey, I don't think you have anything to contribute to this discussion because your intellect is extremely limited.

Hey, mr Customer, you should absolutely not buy this product right now because our competitor has a better offer.

Hey, mr person calling support, I don't really care about anything you have to say and most likely you are just too stupid to use our product.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if places like stock exchanges developed means of communicating where any conversation from person X to person Y was first screened for "ugly truths" before the message was sent on. A sort of desperately needed self-blinding.

June 16, 2013 6:04:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^  yep, that's how it'd be.... there must be some reason we have the ability to lie... it's kind of a survival mode thing...those social little white lies allow us to live closely together with some cohesion rather than chaos...

the ability to lie must have been downloaded at the same time as the ability for language...

June 16, 2013 6:53:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is not meant for expressions of Political or Religious views just your thoughts on the subject.

you can't exclude the best liars from the question.

June 16, 2013 7:26:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There are many forms of 'truth' but I do not really consider opinions or mindless meanderings to be truth. If my girlfriend asked if her ass was fat I would most likely say no, which may not be my honest opinion, but the truth is I love her, therefore I support her and help her feel good and confident, which I know is returned in kind. This same sort of basic function is for any social group, work, friends, and family. 

June 16, 2013 8:17:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting myfist0,
There are many forms of 'truth' but I do not really consider opinions or mindless meanderings to be truth. If my girlfriend asked if her ass was fat I would most likely say no, which may not be my honest opinion, but the truth is I love her, therefore I support her and help her feel good and confident, which I know is returned in kind.

I love the humanity and loving kindness in that statement.

I wish people could relax and cool it a bit from their divisive agendas, and just ease the needs of others.

I wish people never had the need for the words 'win' and 'lose', but especially the latter.

June 16, 2013 9:08:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

quote who="Turchany" reply="8" id="3371601"]Americans like to think there is nothing wrong with their lifestyle, and this is a lie too, threatening the future.[/quote]

I understand much better now. This is only an American problem.

Quoting Heavenfall,
Hey, I seriously hate your face, it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't want to be near you, your smell makes me think of dead people.

Hey, I met your kids the other day when I was picking up mine at school - your kids sure are fuck-ugly evil little things.

Hey, I don't think you have anything to contribute to this discussion because your intellect is extremely limited.
[

There you go right there. People have a habit of saying things that don't need to say. In many cases there is no need to say anything so than it wouldn't be a lie or the truth. Eveyone is entilted to have their thought. However now it seems they must say things that have no real meaning. In many cases silence is golden. Most of this type of stuff doesn't have to happen. All one has to do is think for a minute what they are about to say or write and realize what good would that do. But no they just say things right away without thinking what hurt or harm it will do.

June 16, 2013 9:41:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DaveBax,

It was just an example, of course there are problems in other parts of the world, I thought I should make this part short and not entirely focus on it. I did not want to write a long essay on environmental problems as the main topic is lying and truth.

June 16, 2013 9:51:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Personally...I take what people say with a grain of salt. I live by the motto of..."Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear a word your saying."

June 16, 2013 10:35:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

June 16, 2013 11:25:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Turchany,

Quoting DaveBax,
reply 14

It was just an example, of course there are problems in other parts of the world, I thought I should make this part short and not entirely focus on it. I did not want to write a long essay on environmental problems as the main topic is lying and truth.

No problem an over reaction on my part.

June 16, 2013 12:12:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
I take what people say with a grain of salt.

Well, you salty dog, you....

June 16, 2013 3:08:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Everything I say is a lie...

June 16, 2013 3:24:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never lie.     

June 16, 2013 4:12:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just like today went, biting my tongue on this topic to avoid trouble and conflict.That way , no lie needed.Good topic though Philly{lie} and great comments full of intellect{lie], Just kidding , relax.

Actually been entertaining to read, thanks.

Please, note the kidding part, thanks.

June 16, 2013 4:58:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My day would go much better if people would just stop sending me those $%##$%$ game invites on FB

June 16, 2013 10:34:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My day would go much better if people would stop making stupid statements or questions:

Q: How are you today? A: Terrible, thanks for reminding me!

Q: Have a nice day. A: I'll have a terrible day if I want, thank you very much!

Q: Do you know what time it is? A: (look at watch) Yes!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.