Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

(SOLVED) Fences has detected that Explorer was not closed properly.

Explorer Crashes on Windows 7 with Fences 2.x installed.

By on June 14, 2013 8:30:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

darvin atkeson

Join Date 08/2004

Fences is forcing Explore to crash on a fairly fresh Windows 7 system.  After 3 times Fences realizes it's probably the cause and shuts itself down which resolves the problem as does uninstalling the application.   

It took me a while to find a solution for this as one is not available on Stardock's website yet I know they have known about it for sometime now. 

So here is the Tech Doc they should have.

1) Make sure you have the most recent version of Fences installed.   At the time of this writing the version is 2.10.

2) Make sure you are running the most recent Graphic Card Drivers available for your system. 

3) You can do this with Fences installed or removed.  Create a new folder on the desktop.   Move all icons that currently reside on your desktop in to that folder.   NOTE:  You will not be able to move system links such as Computer, Control Panel, Network, Recycle Bin...   Don't worry about those, they are unlikely part of the problem.

4) Once you have removed all icons from the desktop, reinstall Fences if you have it removed OR right click on your desktop and choose to Enable Fences.  

It should fix the problem and Fences should start normally and if you have tried reinstalling may revert to the default colors and default fence names.  

5) Take the icons in your temp folder and put them back one at a time on the desktop.   At this point it's a matter of trail and error to find the culprit but usually it is related to an icon that references a missing folder or possibly a missing executable.   The crash may or may not reoccur until one of the following happens.   For me it was due to an icon to My Videos that had been moved to another drive to free up space on an SSD drive. 

a. The fence containing the problematic icon is moved.
b. The icon is moved from one fence to another or to the desktop.
c. You disconnect a monitor in a multi monitor system and all fences and icons are forced to a single monitor. 

At any rate, Stardock should fix this issue.  Crashing Explorer can cause some serious side effects including a complete OS crash where the OS may need to be reinstalled though this would be rare it did occur on my system. 

As a side note....
They should also fix the problem that IF you do remove a secondary monitor, fences and icons can overlap.  By default Windows does not have this problem.   One fence should respect the framing of another fence.   

Hopefully this has resolved the problem for you.  If not, try also removing the system icons which is done from by right clicking on the desktop and choosing Personalize > Change Desktop Icons.   

If you find this useful / or not, drop a note below so others will know if this is a general fix, or just one of many.

-Darv

//
8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 14, 2013 11:06:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I will try to replicate your method and pass it along. 

June 19, 2013 8:47:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Its hardly solved and doing the above hardly fixes it, this is reproducible but not always. I had Fences do this to me twice now.

What I have noticed is that the problems exist (as above) mostly with folder portals, normal fence does not trigger this that I can see.

June 25, 2013 7:38:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You're right, until the problem is fixed in Fences it's not technically solved and won't be until Stardock issues an update with a fix.  Crashing Explorer is never an acceptable bug as it can corrupt data and cause a number of system problems.  But hopefully the troubleshooting steps can help a few people isolate what caused the issue in the first place and hopefully if they can reproduce the issue it can be solved no matter the cause.   Once you know why something is crashing Explorer you can usually fix the software.  

If the problem is on the Microsoft side of things a fix may me a long time coming so hopefully the steps show how to detect and eliminate the problem.  

Someone reported it also happened with mapped network drives that were no longer connected.  Seems like the same issue.   The icon path is pointing to an invalid destination folder.

Thanks,

Darv 

//
There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 26, 2013 8:30:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Someone else may have already mentioned this, but it seems if you have any disconnected network shortcuts within a fence then it can cause the same issue. I moved all mine to a folder on my desktop and it resolved the problem for me.

August 15, 2013 12:08:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have also encountered the same issue both with my own system (for Steam shortcuts) and a family member (with a drive shortcut) with Fences causing explorer to crash. In both our cases I can confirm that moving them shortcuts in question into a folder, and then placing the folder into Fences, does seem to stop the cashing.

So this does work around the problem, even if it's not a real fix. Hopefully this can be fixed in a later update, but for now at least there is a work-around that seems to do the trick. 

September 12, 2013 11:58:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This method worked for me.  The problem icon was a shortcut to a windows 7 library that no longer exists.  I had a library called "documents", and I had created a shortcut to it on the desktop.  I later reorganized and got rid of "documents" in windows explorer, but the desktop icon remained as a broken link and it was causing fences to fail.  I'm really glad this is solved, I hope stardock and get some code to handle cases like this automatically.

December 9, 2013 11:34:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am running the latest version as of today, version 2.12

I tried the solution from the first post and it hasn't worked for me. I am on Windows 8.1

any ideas? has Stardock looked into this?

December 10, 2013 8:18:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting manish328,

I am running the latest version as of today, version 2.12

I tried the solution from the first post and it hasn't worked for me. I am on Windows 8.1

any ideas? has Stardock looked into this?

We have worked quite a bit on reducing crashes. Sad to hear you are still seeing some. We will want to create a support ticket so we can look into this further for you.

Please download and run the following utility:

http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001375   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.