The Man of Steel thread

By on June 11, 2013 8:47:09 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116

My hopes are so high for is movie!

I'm wondering if Clark Kent (with glasses) ever makes an appearance?

40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 11, 2013 9:17:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm wondering where he will change his clothes. Ever try to get dressed in a cell phone?

June 11, 2013 9:46:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

I'm wondering where he will change his clothes. Ever try to get dressed in a cell phone?

He's so fast, he could just go into orbit and change there. Then all he's got to worry about is NSA spy satilites....though there is less surveillance from those than from tapping into cell calls.

June 14, 2013 12:57:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov sadly abstains from these movie threads after a post was deleted by a mod where I used spoiler tags.  Bummed that you are getting into talking about the latest movies and I don't feel like I can participate in any meaningful way.  Anyway, abstaining after whining like a little girl here.  Hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did when you see it. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 14, 2013 1:26:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting pacov,
pacov sadly abstains from these movie threads after a post was deleted by a mod where I used spoiler tags. Bummed that you are getting into talking about the latest movies and I don't feel like I can participate in any meaningful way. Anyway, abstaining after whining like a little girl here. Hope you enjoy the movie as much as I did when you see it.

That was due specifically to Frogboy's request there be NO spoilers in that particular thread.

Let's just say that when Stardock's CEO says jump I don't bother to take the time to ask 'how high?'.

Rules are rules ...

June 14, 2013 8:33:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trailers look stunning...can't wait to see it!

June 14, 2013 9:20:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will be checking it out tonight!

June 14, 2013 9:35:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The wife is not interested in seeing the movie, hopefully my son will be more interested.

June 14, 2013 9:43:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't get any of my friends to go see it with me! They got burned too many times on crappy superman movies, they say. And I'm like... "but the punches make shockwaves... shooockwaaaaves ;("

June 14, 2013 10:33:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Patrick Ford,

The wife is not interested in seeing the movie, hopefully my son will be more interested.

Same. She was thoroughly disgusted by the last Superman movie. Guess it's a Father's day out with the boys.

June 14, 2013 5:49:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Friend of mine saw it last night. He said it was awesome. 

blank blank blank

June 14, 2013 9:33:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just saw it with my buddies, we all enjoyed it. Go watch it! 

June 14, 2013 10:04:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Patrick Ford,

Terry's not interested, either....and I don't have a son......

Guess I'll just have to wait til it's on the Teev....

June 14, 2013 11:58:03 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Saw it. Liked it. Will comment more soon.

June 17, 2013 7:16:40 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

I can understand why MOS has mixed reviews.

It really does boil down to whether you are a fan of the mythos enough to overlook the sloppy, noisy movie production that they caked on top of it.  Being able to see Superman battle it out in his full glory is probably worth tolerating some of the excesses of the movie (like the Indian ocean CGI battle).

June 21, 2013 5:35:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Indian Ocean thing seemed like a homage to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WScaWdl6TEk&feature=youtu.be&t=7m1s

June 22, 2013 10:26:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was like 5 when I saw that.  

June 22, 2013 10:21:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's a review/recap of the Superman film up at io9 that encapsulates what I think is bad about the Superman movie

http://io9.com/the-most-important-scenes-from-man-of-steel-as-i-remem-516405346

June 23, 2013 9:13:28 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Ever try to get dressed in a cell phone?

On the serious side, saw it today.  I am getting a bit tired of the reboots.  I guess that is why they called this one the "Man of Steel" instead of Superman.  As a movie, it was ok.  Some funny scenes, but to rewrite the history completely was a bit much.

I did like Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner in their limited roles.

June 23, 2013 10:04:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The son and I saw it as a double-feature at the drive-in last night. The drive-in just bought some digital projectors and you can really tell the difference!

MOS was the second feature shown. We both liked it a lot. It was better, IMHO, then previous Superman movies.

The first feature was World War Z. It was a very good zombie movie.

June 23, 2013 10:28:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Saw it this weekend.  My wife (who likes most comic book moves and rates the last two Batman movies among her favorite movies) hated it.  I thought was okay, I guess, but I left feeling colossally disappointed.  There was definitely a really good movie in there somewhere.  All around good acting, good story, good effects.  But Zach Snyder ruined it with his penchant for "oh shit.. i'm not sure what to do..  I know.. BREAK SOMETHING".  The movie was either short plot moving dialogue or someone throwing someone else through a building for 3 hours.  

I'll go see the sequel when it shows up, which I guess says that I didn't think this one was too bad.  All in all in further cemented my opinion of Snyder as one of the most overrated names in Hollywood.  

June 23, 2013 10:35:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

worth tolerating some of the excesses of the movie (like the Indian ocean CGI battle).

If it was worth tolerating, it was just barely.  That Indian ocean battle was atrocious.  It ruined what was otherwise a really cool effect going on around the cause of that battle (to be as vague as possible).  

June 29, 2013 3:44:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Please tell me I am not the only one who saw the Progenitor Mothership designs from the Advent in the opening sequences on Krypton. Anyone else catch that?

July 29, 2013 8:18:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Awesome movie. I have never watched this type of movie before...Fully unique concept movie....

MotionEmpire

December 9, 2013 6:10:52 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Back from the dead...

So it's on DVD/BluRay.

I bought it on iTunes and I know a lot of people were disappointed but I just loved this movie (my favorite superhero movie so far -- it's not flawless but other than the Avengers, it's way up there).

I also read the novelization of it and it is a good example of where the book does fill in a lot of gaps.

For example, Lois Lane on the the aircraft at the end didn't make sense in the movie but in the book she lies her way onto it to get "the exclusive" by saying that Superman told her how to use the key and that only she could put it in (she lied basically). The military had told her that she had no busisness on a military mission.

The neck breaking thing with Zod was much better handled in the book where there's quite a bit more dialog that makes it clear that Superman is basically screwed. Something to the effect of:

"What are you going to do, Kal? Hold me like this forever? There's no prison on this planet that can hold me! The moment you let me go, I will murder every human being on this miserable world!" (I'm paraphrasing but this is what the book made clear to me the reader)

There was a lot more nuance in the book too regarding why they had no intention to try to live with the humans and why Zod's people were such..well why they were so evil.  They outright state that they cannot possibly live with the humans as they have been genetically been altered to not have empathy or morality. They were created to kill things and destroy places.  

Krypton's doom was ultimately their rigid focus on genetic determinism which basically became a negative feedback loop. 

December 9, 2013 6:45:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My main problem with the movie was Zach Snyder. He thinks that the more over the top the action the better it is. The guy wouldn't know subtlety if it hit him in the face. The story, acting and production were all great.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000671   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.