Stardock Future Gaming (from 2013 perspective) [UPDATE 4]

By on September 26, 2013 7:32:28 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1115

In the good old days of gaming, the game studios weren’t public and so they could give little sneak peeks and teasers of things they’re working on. 

Unfortunately, the number of indie studios is dwindled and so there’s very little spontaneity in what companies share (which the Xbox One unveil showed us can be quite a bummer).

Below is just some artwork from a few of the things that are in development.

Vayne_Export

NEW 7/11/2013

ADDED 8/9/2013

ADDED 9/7/2013

September 19 Update!

136 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2013 2:00:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

freakin frog teaser

May 31, 2013 2:10:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sins of a Fallen Enchantress?

May 31, 2013 2:13:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I truly like the parrot, and I think I have a pocket watch that looks just like that... Think everything is looking pretty nice.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 31, 2013 2:18:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Galciv3 and new setting fantasy game.

May 31, 2013 2:23:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has to be Society right? Although the blue chick in the bath-robe looks very Fallen Enchantress.

May 31, 2013 2:23:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jwdR1,

Sins of a Fallen Enchantress?

I think you may mean Sins of a Galactic Enchantress!

May 31, 2013 2:29:40 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

There are at least 4 games represented there.

May 31, 2013 2:44:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So... galciv3, society, fallen enchantress: fallen enchantress... and another space game?

May 31, 2013 2:50:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Gal Civ 3, Another Elemental Expansion, Stardocks first try at a space RTS, or "Empire Builder" with some original IP. Demigod 2

May 31, 2013 4:37:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The top one looks quite sinister.

May 31, 2013 4:41:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great, I don't know if I can handle another "stalking" charge...

May 31, 2013 5:02:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it too early for "shut up and take my money"?

May 31, 2013 5:24:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I don't understand is why a developer can't just....tell us what they're working on.

Is there some sort of strategy that I'm not aware of?

Will you be announcing something soon, Frog?

May 31, 2013 5:33:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They don't say anything because if in the middle of development something happens, by not saying anything they have nothing to come back and say sorry, but we will no longer be adding this to the game.... keeps the expectations of the game as we don't know what it will be, and when the game is closer to coming out more of the mechanics are set and thus they can begin to describe what exactly they have. In development stage all they can say is that they are working on creating some awesome games that will be set in fantasy and space.

Another reason developers do not say anything is because somebody may take the idea and finish a poorer version of the game and steel the thunder that may be their game they are creating. So, the game will no longer be novel and would probably lose sales as such. Patience is the right word here. Patience.

May 31, 2013 6:16:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it's more about a studied implementation of marketing. They control relatively precisely where and when their marketing resources are put to use, in order to build the maximum amount of hype and exposure. Instead of driplets here and there, they probably prefer "big" reveals so that it gets covered in internet media.

May 31, 2013 6:30:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad's good at creating hype, too. Part of the reason Stardock has been so successful. He shows people awesome stuff. One of the perks of being the CEO, I guess.

May 31, 2013 6:34:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You have very talented artists!  Truly amazing artwork.

May 31, 2013 6:37:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,

Gal Civ 3, Another Elemental Expansion, Stardocks first try at a space RTS, or "Empire Builder" with some original IP. Demigod 2

Is that not Sins? I understand thats primarily Ironclad´s game, but i recall Mr. Frogboy saying they did not go for Homeworld IP all the way, as they already have Sins in their "portfolio". So i doubt they would be doing another space RTS to compete with their own brand.

OFC, it could be something more in a mould of Nexus, vastly different from Sins and not really RTS, neither Empire Builder.

My guess those spaceship screens are from next Galciv. But perhaps they could be future Sins - related? Can we get more info on this, please? I am eager to hear, what are the current plans for Sins brand. 

May 31, 2013 6:44:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting XWerewolfX,

What I don't understand is why a developer can't just....tell us what they're working on.

Is there some sort of strategy that I'm not aware of?

Will you be announcing something soon, Frog?

Because no matter how much they tell us, people still ask for more.  If they tell us more, people then ask for even more.

And if they were to tell us absolutely everything, that still won't stop the questions, instead they'll get:

-when will beta start?

-when will it be done?

-etc.

and the even worse:

-why isn't X in the game?

-I don't like Y, can you change it to YY?

-Add Z or else the game sucks

And after game design plans change, as they always do, we'll hear:

-you promised A and took it out, the game now sucks!

-I liked B and now you changed it to BB, change it back please!

They can't win, and when you can't win, saying less is generally better than saying more, and we players have only ourselves to blame

May 31, 2013 6:52:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hmm interesting the one with the "beam" shooting down a ship looks like a drawing with soase elements in it

May 31, 2013 8:05:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is that what's chasing the Vasari across the universe?

May 31, 2013 9:07:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm surprised no one guess a " SM Pirates!" type game.  The parrot is a dead giveaway.

June 1, 2013 2:11:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

I'm surprised no one guess a " SM Pirates!" type game.  The parrot is a dead giveaway.

Someone needs to make a game like that in space... Han Solo style. Escape Velocity, mayyybe Freelancer are the last games I can think of that were close enough to be awesome. 

June 1, 2013 3:44:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,

Quoting Major Stress, reply 9

Is that not Sins? I understand thats primarily Ironclad´s game, but i recall Mr. Frogboy saying they did not go for Homeworld IP all the way, as they already have Sins in their "portfolio". So i doubt they would be doing another space RTS to compete with their own brand.

OFC, it could be something more in a mould of Nexus, vastly different from Sins and not really RTS, neither Empire Builder.

My guess those spaceship screens are from next Galciv. But perhaps they could be future Sins - related? Can we get more info on this, please? I am eager to hear, what are the current plans for Sins brand. 

Because Stardock does NOT own the Intellectual Property of Sins. Ironclad owns it. Stardock only published Sins up until Rebellion. Which Ironclad gave permission for Stardock to develop. Ironclad had to approve all of the changes to Rebellion before it could be implemented.

If Stardock was to develop Sins 2. Then Ironclad would have to sell Stardock the IP. Much like how Stardock tried to acquire the IP for Homeworld. OR. It could be a joint effort between Stardock, and Ironclad like Rebellion was. However since Sins is Ironclads baby i think they would go at Sins 2 alone, and keep Stardock as its publisher.

I really would like to see Stardock take a chance at an RTS/Empire Builder themselves in the likes of Homeworld, and Haegemonia, or perhaps something totally original that nobody has seen before.

June 1, 2013 3:55:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The 2nd to last picture must be a portrait of Frogboy...with the parrot being Derek, with Frogboy indicating with the watch that its time for the game to be released, but Derek disagreeing!!  Im sure that never happened right!!??

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.