Xbox One

Great for PC development?

By on May 21, 2013 1:56:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

jackswift85

Join Date 01/2009
+21

The reveal and specs for the new Xbox, dubbed "Xbox One" came out today.

Features:

- 100W 40nm AMD Jaguar based 8-core CPU/GPU, "tailored for DirectX 11.1"

- 8 GB Ram, though DDR3 instead of GDDR5

- 500 GB HDD

- Gigabit Ethernet, three separate 802.11n radios

- Blu-ray Player

- USB 3.0, HDMI 1.4 in AND out

- Bundled Kinect

It's been floated around that there will be three operating systems on this new Xbox, one for the games, one for web browsing/Windows shell and one to integrate the two. Assuming that it's native 64-bit.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hardware-and-specs/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Those specs are really encouraging for game development in my opinion... setting the new standard at 8GB, DirectX 11, native 64-bit... console hardware finally catching up to PC's. 

29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 21, 2013 2:12:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Kinect being automatically apart of it actually makes me less attracted to it.

May 21, 2013 3:20:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

adding blu-ray was a smart decision as far as I'm concerned anyway.  I absolutely would not buy this if it was lacking one.  That said... probably not going to buy.  Glad that idiotic HD-DVD/Blu-ray nonsense is over and M$ is accepting blu as the standard. 

May 21, 2013 3:23:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Most of the folks I talk to seem to think this will be a disaster.

That said, I don't know if that will translate to the general public.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 21, 2013 3:40:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wired has a first look at it.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

It's all going to come down to price as to whether I get it at launch or later.

May 21, 2013 4:11:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

The Kinect being automatically apart of it actually makes me less attracted to it.

There's a great quote from Island Dog's Wired link:

When the original Kinect launched, apartment dwellers lamented that they had to move couches and tables just to be recognized by the its depth sensors, let alone play a physically involved game like Dance Central. The restricted field of vision also made it next to impossible for different-sized people, like parents and kids, to play the same game. This time around, a 1080p camera enlarges the sensor’s field by 60 percent—a fact that the entertainment division’s lanky hardware guru, Todd Holmdahl, demonstrates for me by walking his 6′ 4″ frame toward the sensor. Even 3 feet away, the Kinect’s onscreen display clearly registers his entire body, and he still has room to lift his hands above his head.

The camera can also capture video at 60 frames per second for two-way services like Skype—but more impressive still are the Kinect’s tracking capabilities. It’s now so sensitive that it can measure your pulse by monitoring pigmentation change in your face. (It’s partially done via infrared light, which means it works regardless of skin tone.)

The original sensor mapped people in a room using “structured light”: It would send out infrared light, then measure deformities in the room’s surfaces to generate a 3-D depth map. However, that depth map was lo-res to the degree that clothing and couch cushions were often indistinguishable. The new model sends out a modulated beam of infrared light, then measures the time it takes for each photon to return. It’s called time-of-flight technology, and it’s essentially like turning each pixel of the custom-designed CMOS sensor into a radar gun, which allows for unprecedented responsiveness—even in a completely dark room. (See the video for the evidence.)

In fact, the Kinect will be used for that most fundamental of tasks: turning the whole thing on. Xbox One utilizes multiple power states; it can thus ramp up as needed and consume different amounts of juice depending on use, whether games or movies. And it also possesses a low-power standby mode, allowing Xbox Live and game updates to be pushed to the Xbox One overnight — or whenever the box knows your usage is lowest — without keeping the console all the way on. (Don’t worry; you can still play a single-player game without being connected to the Internet.) It also means that when you walk into your room and say “Xbox on,” the Kinect sensor hears you and turns on your entire setup via infrared blast: TV, Xbox One, even your cable box.

May 21, 2013 4:39:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't want to do anything the kinect is made to do.  Like move or talk.  Even if it actually would work as designed, I don't want to do that shit.  

May 21, 2013 4:40:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Halo 5 and Halo 6 are basically the only reasons I would even get this so-called Xbox One.

May 21, 2013 5:38:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Still hoping for multi-core support on consoles being standard, as that will open the way for such standardizations on PCs.

May 21, 2013 5:58:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh people are forgetting, required installs and the bigger problem if you hand your disk to a friend they have to pay a fee to play on your copy. 

May 21, 2013 8:24:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bleh...

May 21, 2013 10:05:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Xbox One not backwards compatible. But external storage is acceptable for Xbox One.

May 22, 2013 12:59:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The only console I ever had plugged into your TV.....

...and played essentially one game.....

Pong.

May 22, 2013 1:42:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The fighting games folks already have said the Xbox One won't work at all for competitive gaming- due to a combination of non backwards-compatible controllers, account management, and lack of self-publishing (just look at how much Microsoft screwed the Skullgirls devs over the past year)

I really think the Xbox One is going to be pushed hard by the AAA guys, but with nothing below it.   It will be AAA or bust on that console, and it will fail for that reason.

May 22, 2013 8:12:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

The only console I ever had plugged into your TV.....

...and played essentially one game.....

Pong.

You too Paul? I loved pong! Oh, and Space Invaders too!

May 22, 2013 11:09:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So, what's everyones estimate on pricing?

May 22, 2013 11:17:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it'll come out initally at ~ $500.00 US.

May 22, 2013 1:23:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
I think it'll come out initally at ~ $500.00 US.

That seems a little steep - I'm guessing we'll see a 299 and 399 version perhaps - maybe 399 and 499.  I'd be really surprised if there was only 1 $500 option.  I don't really use my 360 or ps3 for much outside of home entertainment at this point.  So far for me, there are a few selling points for the new xbox - blu-ray, integration with tv, and voice activated integration.  It's all a matter of how well they pull off the integration for me.  If its good, I'll likely pick one up.  I like that at least 1 of the reviewers mentioned that this works well with tivo as I have a lifetime sub on a premier.  If they can pull that off well, I'd enjoy it.  It's going to have to be pretty slick for me to pick up, though.  I'd wager they are going to force people to have the kinect with every system (eg its bundled with all systems), though, so it becomes something that is more commonly utilized by devs in some way.  So, the only place they could likely create bundles at launch is with some launch title games or selling a 500 gb and 1tb version of the hd. 

May 22, 2013 2:26:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

I don't want to do anything the kinect is made to do.  Like move or talk.  Even if it actually would work as designed, I don't want to do that shit.  

Ah, nevermind then. I misunderstood.

I get most of my gaming fix with my PC, and I only have used the 360 in a party setting (as I do not own one). Drunken Fruit Ninja (or any other Kinect game combined with alcohol, really) is a party staple and very fun (for me).

Quoting Hawawaa,

Xbox One not backwards compatible. But external storage is acceptable for Xbox One.

As for the backwards compatibility thing, I think that's a case of being spoiled with the Wii U, PS1->PS2 and the occasional XBox->Xbox360 game. I can't think of any other game consoles that had backwards compatibility (discounting the famous Sony, "Sure, the PS3 will be backwards compat... I mean whoops, no). All the ones I grew up with, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Genesis, SegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast... no way was anything going to be backwards compatible. That's why you bought PC games.

It would be interesting to do some kind of study and see how much business one would lose/gain by not making their console backwards compatible. I have a hunch that the people who need to always have the latest and greatest (or kids who have influence over their parents) would outweigh customers that would feel spurned by a no-backwards compatibility rule and not buy the new system.

May 22, 2013 3:38:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it has a $299 price point I would grab it day one.  I wish they would open pre-orders early and give a price, so people can budget for it.

May 22, 2013 3:50:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kinect is nothing compared to the IllumiRoom http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407439/illumiroom-reportedly-set-to-feature-at-next-xbox-event/ Check out the video, this thing is wild. I can't believe the effect that will augment the vibrate, where your entire room shudders. That is a marvel of engineering.

edit: much better video http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/02/will-microsofts-illumiroom-change-gaming

May 23, 2013 1:06:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I understand that you can't use Xbox 360 mics with new Xbox One but not being able to use any other mics with new Xbox is BS. (I'm talking Astro, Razor, Turtle, etc...)

May 23, 2013 1:30:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamestop-xbox-one-ps4-will-be-less-expensive-at-launch-than-past-consoles-6408792

"The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be less expensive at launch than their predecessors, according to comments from GameStop chief financial officer Rob Lloyd."

May 24, 2013 3:30:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I expect 450 for PS4 and 400 for XBone.

If PSN doesn't have the XBL idiot tax (the yearly fee you have to pay for something that is free everywhere else) , then PSN is the cheaper console, even if it costs more at launch.

May 25, 2013 5:24:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I expect one of two situations for pricing for Microsoft, given what we know is in the box, and one for Sony.

I think we know Sony won't repeat the Playstation 3 launch, I so I'm expecting US$350.00 for the Playstation 4.  It automatically competes with the Wii U, which is over-priced for what it is anyway, and comes in cheap enough to increase early adoption.

Microsoft, I feel, aren't going to be so cut and dry.  They're repeating all of Sony's mistakes with the Playstation 3 so far.
So, I see can potentially something stupid like US$500.00 or even as high as US$600.00.  Kinect 2.0 can't be cheap to manufacture, and it's included in the box for every single console.
However, they've also apparently cut deals with major US Cable providers, the NFL and various other entertainment providers.  They might try and use this to subsidise the cost, knowing they'll make it back on Xbox Live's walled off content.  They may drop a bombshell, and come out as low as US$250.00 if they go this way - cancelling out a lot of the negative press right there.

May 25, 2013 7:02:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't seen the pressconference (5h of boring..?   No....just no!) but listened to SweClockers, Angry Joe and Francis and it seem to be gimmicky with the TV stuff.

I'm not gonna get one no matter how it turns out.

There's some damn funny videos about it though!   Seen these?   First two are from Francis and the third is from Angry Joe 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.