Epic fail?

By on May 17, 2013 5:29:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wcndave

Join Date 05/2013

Fences does look very nice, and I can see why people would say after 5 minutes they want to use it forever.

Unfortunately the fact that the product just doesn't work has got to be a major problem.  On day one I had no problems, however on day 2, when i tried to move a fence, the icons stayed where they were, and were hidden when they were "out" of the fence.  so I could not move or resize them.  After a reboot, all the icons were gone to desktop.  I moved them back.  everything ok for a day or so, (still could not resize / move), and then after next reboot all icons disappeared completely.

I don't think i want to go through putting hundreds of icons in the right place each time I boot my machine, so really I think people should avoid this product!  I am not sure why more people aren't complaining, as I am just using windows 7 pro, standard install...

If there is something I am doing wrong, then fine, however then the usability / instructions could use some effort as I am a very IT literate person.

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 17, 2013 5:51:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might want to raise a support ticket. They will be able to help.

I can only say I have Fences on W7 and have none of the issues you describe. Hopefully the experts will have an answer for you

May 17, 2013 6:08:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

One thing i thought of is that I have multiple monitors, and on start up they all sort of flash as they try to work out what's what.

This can cause normal windows to move when awakening from sleep, however they don't disappear.

If that's the cause, then I think I will just leave it, as I really prefer stuff that just works

May 17, 2013 6:48:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Fuzzy Logic gave you a very good suggestion, wcndave.

I do know that many people use Fences on multiple screens, without that issue. It really would be best to let the Support folks find out if there's a software related problem, since then they'd be able to improve the software.

Everyone loves something that just works no questions asked, but you shouldn't just "give up" before even giving it a shot. The Support folks are truly dedicated to finding what's wrong and helping.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 17, 2013 7:01:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, i was just a little frustrated that all the effort I put in was wiped out.  I have contacted support.

However there does seem to be a pattern of quality issues here.  I just got an email about your reply in my gmail (which i have open in Firefox), went to the link, was not logged in, so logged in, went back to the form, says "login", clicked login, get taken to "my account" so knows i am logged in, however when i go back to page, even after a clear cache total refresh, says i am not logged in.

So i have had to switch to chrome to put this reply in... after 3 emails or so I am likely to run out of browsers!

I also had to register 4 times, before it was successful, other times it took me to a blank page saying "no results match your search" when i submitted the final page password step...

Sometimes when everything just doesn't work, one thing after another, it can just make one hold the organisation in a bad light from the get go!

May 17, 2013 8:01:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, server issues and Forum coding issues are not under discussion, although I understand why they might make you unhappy. The issue I offered advice for (and am glad you did write to Support about) is a software one.

If you're having problems with site issues (I did too), let Support know about them as well. Or, better yet, just send them a link to this url.

I would wait, though with the latter issue. The reason for that is that your second email might cause the first to get kicked to the end of the queue.

If you go to this page:  http://www.stardock.com/support/?from=nav

On the left you will see "Instant chat". You might arm yourself with your ticket number before logging on (as well as the url of this thread). People should be there (Support) after 9 a.m. EST, M-F.

May 17, 2013 8:48:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wcndave,
I have contacted support.

If you used the same email to email support as you used here . . we don't have a record of your case.

May 17, 2013 9:32:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I emailed support@stardock.com from the support -> contact us direct link at the top.

As clicking login take me to "my account" and clicking on the ticket shows a "login" link at the top, I switched browsers from FF to chrome, which uses a different email client, so it came from dave.  The address is similar enough to be able to tell.

I now have a problem where i cannot add anything to a fence. It sits over it, however it not in it.  ie when i move the fence the icon stays, and the opacity is not being applied to the icon.

May 17, 2013 9:58:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i'm using it since last year until now it works great. i have no problems on fences.

May 17, 2013 10:17:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wcndave,
The address is similar enough to be able to tell.

Just send me a private message with he ticket ID or your email, OK?

May 17, 2013 10:38:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,

I am not sure why more people aren't complaining, 

Because it just works for 99% of the people using it. I've been using fences for a long time with no issues at all.  Stardock support should get you going.

July 17, 2013 10:07:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm having the same exact issues on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine.  I just upgraded my Fences and paid for the license, now it is not working. 

Previously, with the old version everything was working fine.  I will submit a support ticket as recommended in earlier posts. 

July 22, 2013 11:41:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm with the original poster. This program just doesn't work very good. Support tickets do no good for I asked for a fix months ago and still nothing. I have about 5 fences and everytime I delete something from one, there is a chance that a random item will bleed over from one fence to the other, destroying the program's purpose to begin with. And changing the names of some files causes multiple files to get the same name. VERY ANNOYING.

I feel like I paid money for nothing.

July 23, 2013 4:00:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To the original poster and to shinra358, the Stardock support folks asked me to do this:

http://content.screencast.com/users/Sean_Drohan/folders/Jing/media/4a900067-59cf-445e-a114-cae6b7b658ab/2013-01-03_1338.png

I tried it and so far my problem appears to be resolved.  In case you have not tried it yet, I would suggest you give it a shot.

Thanks!

August 27, 2013 10:45:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Tried that, days later when doing some renaming and deleting of files, it still happens. Not only that, but files seems to sometimes relocate on the outside of all of my fences or still bleed into other portals.

September 19, 2013 8:53:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

wcndave: See my new thread under "Icons disappear when dragged out of fences onto desktop."

What seems to be happening is that the icons are actually going onto the desktop, but they will only show up when there is a fence on top of them. So they seem to disappear when you drag them out of a fence, but they are actually there. And even if they are showing up if a fence is on them, they aren't actually *in* the fence, they are still on the desktop.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.