The most disappointing book you ever read, after high recommendations.

By on May 16, 2013 7:09:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glazunov1

Join Date 08/2010
+26

So, not just any book that you found tedious or poorly-written, but a book that came with great praise from people you respect. Just the worst of these, if you please.

48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 16, 2013 7:29:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The Bible.

May 16, 2013 7:48:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

The Bible.
Guess you don´t recommend it then ? 

May 16, 2013 8:29:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

The Bible.

Did you actually read it, or was this the first "witty" thing that popped into your head?  It's hard for me to imagine somebody actually reading a book they were unable to attain anything from, especially one as "thick" as the bible.  Your response says much more about you than the book.  Any animosity toward religion need be met with a more inquisitive eye.  Perhaps try reading it again with a bit more objectivity (less narrow-mindedness), even the old testament offers many lessons in history and self discovery.  And no, I do not identify specifically with an Abrahamic religion.  History is invaluable none the less.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 16, 2013 8:38:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
Did you actually read it, or was this the first "witty" thing that popped into your head? It's hard for me to imagine somebody actually reading a book they were unable to attain anything from, especially one as "thick" as the bible. Your response says much more about you than the book. Any animosity toward religion need be met with a more inquisitive eye. Perhaps try reading it again with a bit more objectivity (less narrow-mindedness), even the old testament offers many lessons in history and self discovery. And no, I do not identify specifically with an Abrahamic religion. History is invaluable none the less.

Oh, please.

It's actually JUST A BOOK.

Some people like to read all sorts of things into it.....and your Nick tells me more about you than any two-word response would about me.

Oh, yes....I read it....40 or 50 years ago.

May 16, 2013 8:42:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Moby-Dick boring. Could have been I had to do a book report on it. 5000 words

May 16, 2013 8:57:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

JUST A BOOK.

The sheer magnitude of the impact that the bible has had on our entire species renders this statement nothing short of laughable.  Needless to say, I did laugh out loud.

Quoting Jafo,
and your Nick tells me more about you than any two-word response would about me.

Intentionally so, however in this case I'm not so sure.

I would be curious to hear what my nick tells you though (aside from what I've already revealed to this community in plain english?), if you care to tell?  And what's your point anyway?

Quoting Jafo,
Oh, yes....I read it....40 or 50 years ago.

No, the bible is not a children's book.

May 16, 2013 9:06:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Obviously, your name is Direction, and you're a Cardinal!

You have a really funny name, FYI.

May 16, 2013 9:38:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My bankbook.

May 16, 2013 9:57:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

My bankbook.

I should have said that to rofl.

May 16, 2013 10:07:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

40 years ago I was an adult.

May 16, 2013 10:36:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

my bedside reading...

still trying to get into it.... the book... and the cat's mind...  

May 17, 2013 1:11:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm. Perhaps my disappointment should have been foreshadowed by its predecessor in the series but mine is "The Girl Who Played with Fire" by Steig Larsson. The first book in the trilogy was average but the second was a  terribly boring story with the biggest Mary Sue I've seen in modern times. The number of people who enjoyed it(and I kept reading thinking it would turn around for that reason) is astounding.

May 17, 2013 2:37:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've read quite a few of the "top best greatest of all time" books that were poorly written and dull as hell: Silas Marner, Moby Dick, the Leatherstocking Tales all come to mind. And they were required reading when I was in high school. I still suspect they were put in the curriculum to make adolescents believe reading was inherently boring. Not a whiff of Salinger, Vonnegut, Fielding, Joyce, Cabell, James, etc.

But the worst that was highly recommended...? There was a fantasy trilogy published some decades back about a modern leper who ends up sucked into another dimension, where he's always hurting everyone else, but so self-involved that we're supposed to forgive everything from constant moodiness to rape. The best thing in it is that he truly dies at the end of the third book. An example of a more self-pitying, unrealistic character just doesn't come to my mind. I don't remember the title, and that's just as well.

May 17, 2013 2:46:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,

But the worst that was highly recommended...? There was a fantasy trilogy published some decades back about a modern leper who ends up sucked into another dimension, where he's always hurting everyone else, but so self-involved that we're supposed to forgive everything from constant moodiness to rape. The best thing in it is that he truly dies at the end of the third book. An example of a more self-pitying, unrealistic character just doesn't come to my mind. I don't remember the title, and that's just as well.

Sounds like you're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

Basically he finds himself in another world and one of the first things he does is rape somebody because he doesn't think it's real. There's a bit of back and forth where he tries to find out if the other world is actually real or if he is just imagining it / dreaming it. Ultimately he comes to the oh so important realization that it doesn't matter if the world is real or not, he shouldn't hurt people anyway.

May 17, 2013 10:02:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sydneysiders,

my bedside reading...

still trying to get into it.... the book... and the cat's mind...  

Reduced 16%Original 1936 x 2592

Don't let the cat nip you. Get it? cat nip - catnip? Mwahahahaha.

May 17, 2013 10:33:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't bother reading books, unless they are tech manuals.

May 17, 2013 10:46:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Haha, I love you Jafo.  I was actually going to say the Quran.  I have read both the bible and the Quran.  

May 17, 2013 10:54:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Haha, I love you Jafo.

Oh, stop it...now you're making me blush....

Apparently I'm not allowed to voice an opinion if it differs with a 'Cardinal'...so I'll just sit in the corner and bow to his wisdom of years....

May 17, 2013 12:04:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

it's kinda scary when an architect disagrees with "Cardinal Direction"

May 17, 2013 1:24:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Forever war was awful.

People actually think this is better than Starship troopers? Get out of here.

May 17, 2013 1:24:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Glass Bead Game.

May 17, 2013 3:05:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 17Haha, I love you Jafo.

Oh, stop it...now you're making me blush....

Apparently I'm not allowed to voice an opinion if it differs with a 'Cardinal'...so I'll just sit in the corner and bow to his wisdom of years....

Bow to no one.  Sitting in a corner however, is good medicine.  I do it all the time.

For somebody who saw themselves as an adult 40 "or" 50 years ago (older than me for sure), you come across like an insecure adolescent.  What you are allowed to do and not allowed to do is of no concern to me, I'm simply informing you that wittily referring to the bible, (or quran for that matter), as a disappointing read reveals much more about your levels of maturity, intelligence, and objective wisdom than it does about the actual content of said book(s).  History is not your enemy.

Do you actually get paid to troll?

May 17, 2013 3:24:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo, reply 4
JUST A BOOK.

The sheer magnitude of the impact that the bible has had on our entire species renders this statement nothing short of laughable.  Needless to say, I did laugh out loud.

Quoting Jafo, reply 4and your Nick tells me more about you than any two-word response would about me.
Intentionally so, however in this case I'm not so sure.

I would be curious to hear what my nick tells you though (aside from what I've already revealed to this community in plain english?), if you care to tell?  And what's your point anyway?

Quoting Jafo, reply 4Oh, yes....I read it....40 or 50 years ago.

Look at the current state of the world and you really consider the Bible to be beneficial to the human species???

May 17, 2013 3:26:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Do you actually get paid to troll?

Oh shut up you idiot! I also believe The Bible is the biggest piece of crap ever written. 

How dare you accuse the most respected member of this website of trolling??!! Now go pray to a deity or something..........

May 17, 2013 3:43:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kku,

Look at the current state of the world and you really consider the Bible to be beneficial to the human species???

Good and bad are relative to time and place, we have yet to see the full impact that it will have on our species.  However I do know that for every war monger who has used it falsely, there are thousands who find peace and/or insight.  The past has no inherent connotation, it is a teacher, dangerous only if not studied.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.