ObjectDock v2.1 working but I cannot access the settings

Unable to customise on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

By on May 16, 2013 3:16:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DRHodgson

Join Date 11/2012
+2

I've been waiting for ObjectDock to be updated for Windows 8 as I love the idea of having a Mac-like dock so when I got the email this morning I immediately bought and installed it. It seems to be working in that there is a dock at the bottom with icons that appear and disappear as I open programs from my Quickmenu in the taskbar and I also have a menu at the top of the screen (Programs, Documents, Links and Other).

However, I am unable to access the settings to customise it. When I click on Programs (at the top of the screen) and select Configure ObjectDock I see the mouse pointer spin for a few seconds then nothing. I cannot even access the settings by right-clicking on the dock at the bottom and selecting it either.

Is anyone else having this problem? I do have Decor8, Start8, WindowsFX and Fences installed too and they all work just fine with no major issues. I wouldn't expect those to cause any conflicts considering they're also from Stardock.

How do I access the settings please? (ObjectDock was installed using Run as Administrator since the installer had the yellow/blue shield on it)

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 16, 2013 3:19:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've checked the event log and I have these errors:

Application: ObjectDockUI.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
Stack:
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(System.String)
   at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.GetConfigSection()
   at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()
   at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.get_IndentSize()
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.InitializeSettings()
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.get_UseGlobalLock()
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.WriteLine(System.String)
   at System.Diagnostics.Trace.WriteLine(System.String)
   at ODUI.Program.Main(System.String[])

and this one:

Faulting application name: ObjectDockUI.exe, version: 2.10.0.811, time stamp: 0x51928b28
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988950
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00014b32
Faulting process ID: 0x1f24
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5204d19c40aa
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDockUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 0f780321-bdf8-11e2-8073-00158315a310
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I received four Windows Updates for the .NET Framework 4.5 yesterday (along with 12 others!!!) and I've ran sfc /scannow and it reports no integrity violations.

May 16, 2013 3:42:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just to clarify, I *can* access things like Add, View and Position from the right-click context menu but I cannot access the actual Settings menu due to the error in my second post above.

May 16, 2013 8:25:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can you both email support@stardock.com?

Please download and run the following utility: http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 16, 2013 3:14:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've sent the email and data attachment as requested. I hope this issue can be resolved quickly but if there is a workaround I can use in the meantime then I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Thanks.

May 16, 2013 4:11:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Download and run http://sd.stardock.com/mike/apps/dotnet.exe

Screenshot it and upload it somewhere where you can link it to here

May 16, 2013 4:23:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105663038/DotNET.png

May 18, 2013 7:21:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I tried uninstalling then reinstalling ObjectDock but now although the dock etc appear as they should, I'm getting an error window:

ObjectDock Activation - Error: ObjectDock is not correctly installed. Please reinstall and try again.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling it several times, even using the Run as Administrator option but I get the error every time I boot my PC and each time I close then open the app.

May 20, 2013 3:01:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, I have been able to resolve both of the issues in posts #1 and #7.

The activation error I fixed by uninstalling ObjectDock and running two registry cleaners, CClean v4.21 and Raxco's PerfectRegistry v2.0, then finally reinstalling the application again. No more annoying error message at boot.

The settings error I found was caused by missing folders in the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 folder, specifically Config and ASP.NETWebAdminFiles. I was able to obtain those folders from a backup of my C: drive done with Acronis True Image 2012. A reboot then allowed me to finally access all the settings menus in ObjectDock. I'm not sure how those folders were deleted but it may have been caused by running an incorrect version of the NET_CleanupTool and selecting Framework v4.0. The really, really stupid thing is that unlike other versions of Windows where you can uninstall and reinstall different versions of .NET Framework, on Windows 8 you can't as it is now part of the operating system. Microsoft's own NET_RepairTool also has not been updated to v4.5 either yet so it would have meant an operating system reinstall had I not had a backup!

September 10, 2013 5:10:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am currently having the " ObjectDock Activation - Error: ObjectDock is not correctly installed. Please re install and try again. " issue.

I have ran multiple cleaners in an attempt to have this issue no longer occur. Sadly this option simply has not resolved my issue. Is there any other known solutions to this problem?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.