Icons broken after uninstal

By on May 15, 2013 3:47:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DeanKellham

Join Date 10/2008

I recently gave IconPackager a whirl. When I decided to go back to defaults and remove the program all seemed fine. I selected the default Windows icon set and uninstalled the program. I've now found though that Live Folders are still using the icon set I had previously selected, and so are a few special folders here and there (such as recent places). Does anyone know a way to fix this?

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2013 4:04:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Re-install IP and do the following:

In IconPackager, under Settings>System Settings you can use the 'Rebuild Icon Cache' and Repair Icon Images buttons, which should help with this issue. If not, try the Repair Shell Icons... button and select "Repair shell icons for all processes" and click OK.

May 15, 2013 4:58:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unfortunately your instructions did not resolve the issue. I noticed that under "Icons & Cursors" -> "Folders" the icons for "Live Folder (Back)", "Live Folder (Front)", and "Live Folder (Data)" (along with a few others, were blank. I tried Restoring default icon but they did not change. I then went to manually change them and was presented with the correct icon already selected. This allowed me to restore them in this section, however they are still displaying incorrectly in explorer. I've rebuilt the cache, repaired images, and fixed the shell icons for all processes once more to no avail. Also if it's relevant the image shown under "Look & Feel" -> "Live Folders" shows contents only; the front and backs of the folders are invisible. Changing the theme here changes the preview image however selecting the Windows Default Icon set takes them back to invisible.

May 15, 2013 11:22:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You could try repairing your system files system using a command prompt. In your start menu search box type in "cmd" minus the quotes. Right click on the cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" in the command window, type    sfc/scannow.  This will find and repair any corrupted files that may be causing you problems.      -- Ace --

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 16, 2013 8:53:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I already did an sfc run. Not 100% sure what did it, but things seem to be back to normal now. Not sure if it just needed an extra restart or something but all is good now. I wish I could isolate the specific solution to help others in the future but somehow a combination of all suggestions above and a fair few restarts managed to fix things. Thanks for your help guys.

May 16, 2013 9:04:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had the same thing. What fixed it for me was to delete the iconcache.db in appdata\local then restart. It helps if you do this after killing explorer process &using elevated cmd prompt

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.