Getting the bees settled for 2013

By on May 9, 2013 5:25:45 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1101

IMG_2306

Our background orchard has an apriary. I lost most of my hives this past year. Some of it due to CCD and some of it due to kids with too much time on their hands who come over and knock over the beehives from time to time (and tear off the no trespassing signs).  I could probably write a lengthy article on the cultural rot of upper-middle class teenagers who don’t have jobs, have never had to do anything and have a lot of free time to get into trouble. But that’s a different topic..

Anyway, I have 2 hives back there and the various apple trees are finally coming into bloom. Hopefully we’ll see some good results this Fall.

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 9, 2013 5:47:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Was an interesting read... thanks for the inspiration to learn about the impending bee shortage!

May 9, 2013 6:20:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Down here in South Florida we have have jatropha species for landscaping. I use one that blooms white flowers all year long and is constantly filled with honey bees and butterflies, and is crawling with ants and various insects. Grows and nice umbrella shape to about 12'.

I make cuttings and give them away to as many people as will plant them. Just my way of helping the bees.

May 10, 2013 1:09:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kids with too much time on their hands who come over and knock over the beehives from time to time (and tear off the no trespassing signs)

you need another dog... a stay at home German Shepherd... 

Our background orchard

do you mean... backyard orchard?... you spend too much time around computers..  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 10, 2013 1:11:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cool!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.