Install fails with redirected documents folder

By on May 8, 2013 5:39:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

xcaiver

Join Date 05/2013

Attempting to install DeskScapes 8 on either Win7 or Win8 fails for me. My 'my documents' folder is redirected to a server by corporate policy. There is plenty of space, and the redirection should be largely invisible to apps using standard 'special folder' APIs - in fact this is the first modern installer that has failed. 

The app itself gets installed locally (standard c:\program files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\DeskScapes8), and then after getting the "1...4" popups, the installer window appears, and gets maybe 80% through the progress bar.

The last file displayed in the progress window is d3dx9_30.dll, and then an error dialog appears saying

---------------------------
Error
Setup can not create the following folder:

\\hidden\hidden\hidden\hidden\My Documents\Stardock\Dreams
Retry Cancel

Clicking either 'retry' or 'cancel' immediately aborts the install. This error appears even after I created the folder myself and copied the ~6 dream files in to it manually from an install attempt on a different computer.

3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 8, 2013 5:57:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In my experience I have seen many other apps that simply hate redirected documents. Don't know the solution but it may perhaps be that the local system needs permission to your redirected documents location which by default would not/should not, contain said permission.

May 8, 2013 6:38:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

However, the default dreams folder is here:  C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\Dreams

not at : \\hidden\hidden\hidden\hidden\My Documents\Stardock\Dreams  as you said. 

That folder I believe is just a special commands or resource directory, however I am not sure.

Cheers

GigaByte69

May 10, 2013 8:03:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I have many other apps that work just fine - including apps that generate complex folder structures within the redirected my docs folder

And yes, deskscapes does create a folder in c:\users\public... but it also tries to create a local profile one in the directory that I mentioned. I know this because the installer gave the error message saying that that is the path it was trying to use when it fails the install

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.