UIS0, UIS1, UIS2 Skin Identification

By on April 27, 2013 9:16:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LAURENCE JO...

Join Date 03/2001

Is it possible to identity whether a Windowblinds skin type is UIS0, UIS1, or UIS2 on the skin listing?  I don't see this anywhere on the listing, and it affects application compatibility.  For example, current Thunderbird does not like UIS2 skins, though appears to be fine with USI0 skins.  Thanks!  --Larry J

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 28, 2013 4:09:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's shown in the WB config just above the skin thumbs.

April 29, 2013 4:52:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've often wondered what the difference is between them. Care to enlighten.

April 29, 2013 6:19:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

UIS2=Magic pink used for transparency in BMP (No Png/Tga files)

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 29, 2013 7:43:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

UIS0= aero skin.......not a WB skin just texture/color added to Aero.

April 29, 2013 12:56:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

Hmmm, that's odd Andrew, all my UIS2 skins have PNG's/TGA's in them, and BMP's as well.  I think you meant UIS1, correct?

Personally I set all my UIS0 skins to 1 star in Windowblinds and only see 3 stars and above, like you said, they are just Aero recolors.

April 29, 2013 2:26:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Quoting neone6,
reply 3

Hmmm, that's odd Andrew, all my UIS2 skins have PNG's/TGA's in them, and BMP's as well.  I think you meant UIS1, correct?

Personally I set all my UIS0 skins to 1 star in Windowblinds and only see 3 stars and above, like you said, they are just Aero recolors.
Hmmm... I do two sets of frames in SKS -Per pixel & UIS2(Magic pink)

April 29, 2013 6:19:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I hope this helps and doesn't add to the confusion.  This is just from my poking around at SkinStudio.

UIS1 window frames - bmps with one set of options and a little different layout (e.g., LightStar's Innova skin)

UIS2 - bmps with a different set of options, and more options than UIS1

Per Pixel - the pngs

You can take a typical current UIS2 skin with the Per Pixel window frames and UIS2 frames, delete the Per Pixels sections from the skin, and it will use the UIS2 bmp frames for everything.  Of course you lose the png transparency and the ability to adjust the window frame transparency in WBConfig.

Some apps need the UIS2 frames - e.g., Photoshop Elements 2 will use the per pixel frames for the main window but uses the UIS2 frames for the image windows.  If there aren't any UIS2 frames defined it will use a default, I think Diamond frames (that's on XP )

Maybe that helps?

April 30, 2013 5:33:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It sounds so confusing. I guess the only way would be to find one of each and look under the covers.

April 30, 2013 12:31:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@Uvah- If you just want to see the differences in settings, an easy way might be to create a new UIS1 skin and a new UIS2 skin.  SkinStudio, "New skin" at left.  "Create new skin" window pops up.

"WindowBlinds basic skin" (1st item) is a UIS1 skin.  I see here too it says "They are the most compatible type of skin, but are more limited."  That might affect the Thunderbird app in OP.

"WindowBlinds advanced skin" (2nd item) is a UIS2 skin.

While poking around I also see that this is wrong:

Quoting DaveRI,
If there aren't any UIS2 frames defined it will use a default, I think Diamond frames

I think I'm used to seeing skins where Diamond was used as a base and not changed.  Kind of looks like something has to be defined.

Also looks like a person might be able to make a UIS1 skin and add per pixel frames to it, not sure.

Good hunting Uvah.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.