Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

The Oblivion movie thread

By on April 22, 2013 10:08:33 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1120

My wife and I saw this on Friday.  I won’t put any spoilers in this post but suffice to say I was fairly disappointed.  Tom Cruise did about all he could do with it and the production values were amazing but the story fell flat for me.

6/10.

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 8, 2013 4:44:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I saw it today and i thought it was ok. Better than i expected, that is for sure. It could be half an hour shorter though, from the moment the premise was finally unveiled by Olga Kurylenko character i was just waiting for the final scene to happen...

One more thing, the "Tet" was fucking cool. Reminded me of Argonev 

May 8, 2013 5:46:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Haven't seen this yet and probably will wait until it comes out on rentable media. Looks interesting at least. From the previews it feels fairly familiar, though I'm not sure if the movie plays out differently from what can be guessed from the trailer.

May 8, 2013 7:19:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We won't be seeing it.

I don't like Meryl Streep so won't watch anything she's in....and Terry doesn't like Tom Cruise and won't watch anything he's in.....

So her veto applies....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 8, 2013 9:55:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tom Cruise has been on my boycott list since his unhelpful and downright unhealthy comments on mental illness.  I threw out Top Gun and my other Cruise movies, and will never spend another dime on any movie he stars in.

May 9, 2013 6:35:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,

We won't be seeing it.

I don't like Meryl Streep so won't watch anything she's in....and Terry doesn't like Tom Cruise and won't watch anything he's in.....

So her veto applies....

Then i suppose you missed quite a good autobiographical movie about Margaret Thatcher with Meryl Streep portraying her.

May 9, 2013 8:16:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Timmaigh,
Then i suppose you missed quite a good autobiographical movie about Margaret Thatcher with Meryl Streep portraying her.

Definitely....probably because I am old enough to remember Brixton.

What were you doing in '81?

May 9, 2013 11:08:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Disappointed, seems like they ran out of money by the end of the movie, they should have done something else

May 9, 2013 1:07:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Timmaigh, reply 5Then i suppose you missed quite a good autobiographical movie about Margaret Thatcher with Meryl Streep portraying her.

Definitely....probably because I am old enough to remember Brixton.

What were you doing in '81?

I was born in ´84 

May 13, 2013 9:13:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The story was dumb and very contrived -- there were so many plot holes...was very disappointed.  Tom did a great job carrying and the other acting was decent.  The movie was gorgeous to watch.  Doesn't make up for the stupid movie premise.  I guess the studios figure that as long as they hit all the emotional beats, no one will notice a bad story.   

May 28, 2013 10:16:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My goodness! That flick was the worst case of wasting money in ages!

nuff said.

May 28, 2013 10:32:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

can't stand either of them... never watch their movies...so will go see the Trek one instead...

however, did sit in on a friend watching the Maggie Thatcher movie... and she did do an excellent portrayal... other than that, extremely annoying...

a dingo got my baaaabyyyy....     what a hideous accent...

May 28, 2013 1:52:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cykur,
 I guess the studios figure that as long as they hit all the emotional beats, no one will notice a bad story.

I think this sums up the problem with Hollywood and science fiction really well.  Their adaptation of I, Robot is a good example of this.

As for Oblivion...technically beautiful.  Tom actually did a great job in his role (and I am not a real fan of his).  The story itself had a lot of promise but it didn't gel fully.

I'll disagree that the story was completely stupid or the premise was ridiculous (some of it was).

It almost hearkened back to the days of space empire style stories in scifi--but the writers just didn't quite get it. 

Definitely worth renting.

They missed the opportunity to really develop and explore the central element of the story--which is the real shame.

May 29, 2013 5:10:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the core story could have been interesting, that the main character learns he is a clone working for the bad guy, and I agree, they could have explored this a bit more, but they were too busy making it an action movie.

Here are things that I think are stupid:

1.  An alien entity powerful enough to shatter the moon, that can make killer robotic drones, and is knowledgeable enough to both clone humans and erase their memories doesn't really need to go through the song and dance ruse of making the clones think they were saving humanity.  It is a huge waste of effort to set up these people in ergonomically perfect housing just to do maintenance work.  We don't have a clear sense of why the "Tet" has arbitrary limitations.

2. How is it directly converting the world's water to energy?  If we assume it has the technology to do mass to energy conversion, the amount of energy it would gain this way it phenomenal -- it was actually draining the oceans!  Given the abundance of energy at the Tet's disposal, we again wonder as to its limitations.

3. I am doubtful that any being with this level of sophistication, that can actually suspect and detect possible duplicity in humans, would allow itself to be easily exposed to danger.  OK OK, I will grant this one, maybe it is just really arrogant and doesn't fully realize how sneaky humans are, despite being able to manipulate their brains.

I'm not even going into all the plot holes and and contrived plot points.  I just find the whole setup for the story stupid.  If the Tet is as powerful as it appears, it has little need of clones, and would hardly lack for resources.  If it is as sophisticated as it appears to manipulate the clones and understands their needs enough to build perfect shelters for them, it wouldn't have the limitations it appears to have in terms of understanding and lack of information.

The story just felt really contrived the way it was done. 

May 29, 2013 5:59:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, it was clearly aiming to feel like a certain kind of science fiction that stopped being popular some decades ago. It's good if you like that sort of thing, but not that good for most folks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.