Where's the UNINSTALL option????

By on April 19, 2013 11:40:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nomad50

Join Date 04/2013

I recently installed two new programs, FENCES being one of them. Immediate problems cropped up so I uninstalled one program and rebooted - no change, problems still evident. Now would like to uninstall FENCES but am completely baffled as to how to do it. Nothing seems to work, can't find it listed on running software and the file labeled UNINSTALL in the STARDOCK subdirectory fails to execute. SO . . . how do I get rid of this program???

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 19, 2013 11:59:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can get the free version of Revo Uninstaller from here. LINK. It's all I have used for years to remove any installed software. Run it, have it scan on Moderate and delete only the items it marks in bold print. It beats the pants off of Add/Remove

April 19, 2013 12:36:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You would uninstall Fences from the usual place for removing software on Windows.  Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel.  It should be listed as Stardock Fences, but might be listed as just Fences.

I would recommend against the use of any third party uninstallers.

April 19, 2013 12:44:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good to know Neil...

Made a note of that for future reference.

Thanks.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 19, 2013 1:07:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
You would uninstall Fences from the usual place for removing software on Windows.  Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel.  It should be listed as Stardock Fences, but might be listed as just Fences.

I would recommend against the use of any third party uninstallers.
That's all well and good if you don't plan on reinstalling certain programs, including several from Stardock. They won't install properly (or at all) with the registry keys and other data left behind. Revo uses the programs own uninstaller, then just cleans up the mess left behind. I use it and I trust it or I wouldn't recommend it. I also I know  the "standard" uninstaller just doesn't cut. 'Nuff said.

The question to ask (I would think) would be: "What sort of problems are you having with Fences?" That, to me, would be actual support for the program and not merely advice on how to remove it.  

I have only used version 1 (Pro) and it worked flawlessly on XP and Vista.

April 19, 2013 3:44:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Good to know Neil...

Made a note of that for future reference.
Yes indeed. Me too.

April 19, 2013 5:39:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Had the OP requested support, I'm sure it would have been provided. Undermining Neil with YOUR way of decimating what the OP's intentions is a bit un-called for  My understanding differs from yours. However, I don't express it publicly and I certainly do not call out anyone. MY experience with various programs and features differs from yours also. A simple smiley-con does not justify an action. Just wished others would think the same... 

April 19, 2013 6:42:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

April 19, 2013 7:29:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First thing - thanks to all who responded. Now, here's what I've experienced:

I could not access my browser or email (Mozilla products). When I attempted to open either one, I received a message that they were already running and would have to be shut down before opening another window. Was unable to exit either from the task bar. Tried to locate them in PROGRAMS AND FEATURES but neither were listed. Then tried GLARY UTILITIES process control feature - again, they were not listed as running. So I was stuck - couldn't uninstall FENCES to see if that was my problem, couldn't access web pages to ask for help, couldn't send emails to STARDOCK for their help either. I rried many things, too many to remember what or in what order they were tried, but finally found the FENCES process listed in PROGRAMS AND FEATURES and eliminated it. Rebooted but still had other problems. Finally resorted to recovering the C: partition from a PARAGON backup. Now all I have to do is try FENCES again since I already paid for it. Hope it works.

April 19, 2013 7:57:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds more like problems with Mozilla... I could be wrong, though... I'd bet the extensions.

April 19, 2013 8:49:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Guys...

From time to time there will be posts which are clearly support-related but maybe in the wrong forum section.  The policy is to generally leave such queries to Support - unless the solution is a known quantity and directly relevant.

All of Stardock's programs have a designed method of removal - that is via the 'Programs and Features' listing within Windows [or the equivalent in earlier versions of OS].  Support is thus geared around that methodology - whether or not others may themselves use a 3rd party program.

Such 3rd party programs are NOT [and cannot] be supported by Stardock and so should NOT be suggested....

April 19, 2013 9:04:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Such 3rd party programs are NOT [and cannot] be supported by Stardock and so should NOT be suggested
 Understood.   I was offering the best solution I knew of when/if Programs and Features fails to do the job. I have had programs installed that didn't even appear there. I have also had issues re-installing software using that method.

I'll dummy up now.

April 19, 2013 9:17:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interestingly I have never...and have been installing Stardock software since the 90's.

....and several were alpha or pre-beta non public versions.

The only install/uninstall issue I can recall was an alpha of Impulse ...which I helped with the debugging of [as I was the first to strike the issue].

I think the first OS with Stardock's wares was 98 .....might have been 95 ...but since then...I've used all subsequent OS vers to date....

July 28, 2013 11:17:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

my laptop os recnetly crashed and i had to reinstall my win 7 home premium 64 bit os which i did with no problem. I had had Fences old version on my desktop before the crash and liked it very much so i went to cnet and downloaded it again. Appartently stardock now only provides a 30 day trial version and if you want it after that  you buy it. I dont know if i will buy it or not but i can say that the new version works much differently than the older version did and i liked the older version much more.

anyway i decided to uninstall the new program but unfortunately i cant find it anywhere to uninstall including the Control Panel, Win Explorer, Start menu etc. I have looked everywhere i can think of and it simply doesnt show up so i cant figure out how to get it uninstalled.

i read this thread and saw the suggestion of using Revo Uninstaller and i have used it in the past wiith other programs with success so i will try it, I  assume that when my 30 day trial ends it will go away because i wont pay for it,but i have to say that i have rarely seen a reputable software provided like Stardock develop a program and make it virtually impossible to uninstall it. That is what companies do who want to load up your pc with sofrware they know you dont want...certainly not the case with stardock or fences which is a great program.

i hope Revo works even though stardock says dont use it..Problem is they dont say how to uninstall Fences except to use Programs and Features where unfortunately, Fences IS NOT LISTED IN MY COMPUTER!   

July 28, 2013 11:23:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting bearcatjer,

my laptop os recnetly crashed and i had to reinstall my win 7 home premium 64 bit os which i did with no problem. I had had Fences old version on my desktop before the crash and liked it very much so i went to cnet and downloaded it again. Appartently stardock now only provides a 30 day trial version and if you want it after that  you buy it. I dont know if i will buy it or not but i can say that the new version works much differently than the older version did and i liked the older version much more.

anyway i decided to uninstall the new program but unfortunately i cant find it anywhere to uninstall including the Control Panel, Win Explorer, Start menu etc. I have looked everywhere i can think of and it simply doesnt show up so i cant figure out how to get it uninstalled.

i read this thread and saw the suggestion of using Revo Uninstaller and i have used it in the past wiith other programs with success so i will try it, I  assume that when my 30 day trial ends it will go away because i wont pay for it,but i have to say that i have rarely seen a reputable software provided like Stardock develop a program and make it virtually impossible to uninstall it. That is what companies do who want to load up your pc with sofrware they know you dont want...certainly not the case with stardock or fences which is a great program.

i hope Revo works even though stardock says dont use it..Problem is they dont say how to uninstall Fences except to use Programs and Features where unfortunately, Fences IS NOT LISTED IN MY COMPUTER!   

Fences should be listed.  It may be showing as Stardock Fences rather than Fences, but it should be in the list.

All Stardock applications will appear in that list and we would never make it hard to remove a product from a machine.  Programs and Features is where ALL applications should put their uninstallers.

July 28, 2013 11:44:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

July 28, 2013 1:13:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have fences installed on my desktop ..older version..and just went in and uninstalled it in the programs and features area of control panel like i should be able to. The new version of fences i just installed on my laptop which is a much newer computer...it isnt listed ANYWHERE and i tried both CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller and it isnt listed in either of them as a program..Fences..Stardock...nada. I suspect it will go away after the 30 day trial expires.It is a great program but i will be afraid to download it again.

thanks.

July 29, 2013 8:12:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar problem as I have as posted above. Sure hope it does go away for you but I have doubts. Can't offer any suggestions for you but considering the responses I did receive, I feel vindicated. Good luck.

July 29, 2013 9:38:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you email support@stardock.com we can look into this further.

Thanks

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.