Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Computer Problem

By on April 11, 2013 10:42:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DaveBax

Join Date 10/2007
+475

My Daughter has a computer start up problem. She has to push the start button two to five times before it starts. Other than that it's working fine and can be on for hours with no problem. Told her just to leave it on all the time but ever since a friend of hers had a house fire that was determined to have started from the computer she won't leave it on when she isn't there.

Maybe it's as simple as just replacing the start button but wanted to hear from the experts on here which I am not. Thank you, Dave

61 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 11, 2013 10:43:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would guess a wire is loose or worn out.  I would pull it apart and check.

April 11, 2013 10:57:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Could also be an intermittent problem with the power supply Dave, happened to me once and did the same thing.

April 11, 2013 11:02:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

More than likely either Island Dog or LightStar are correct.  Off course one could always ask has it been opened up lately and some compressed air apply to the inside.  Probably not the issue but it couldn't hurt.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 11, 2013 11:32:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Spencer, Tom. Thanks for the suggestions.

John, I have her clean it out every 6 months and she told me she just did it 2 months ago but had her open it up and check it a couple days ago. Thank you however.

Biggest situation I have with it is she lives 3 hours away so I just can't jump in the car and go around the block to do it myself.

April 11, 2013 11:42:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If she lives that far away, maybe she can hook up with a local, privately owned (and reputable) computer store and bring it in... or, if she knows someone in a local tech school???

April 11, 2013 11:53:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc, as long as it does start up I should be going to see her in a month or so. Living in the mountains they don't have close places like many of us have. Will do it if necessary and dad will have to pay for it. lol.

April 11, 2013 11:55:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some mobo's have an onboard power switch, if it works ok, it's the case switch. If it is spotty also, it's the PSU or something other than the case power switch.
Would need more info to determine if hers has such a switch on the mobo.

April 11, 2013 2:11:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Would need more info to determine if hers has such a switch on the mobo.

Wiz, I don't know anymore right now. My Daughter has the papers. All I can say is it's about 3 1/2 years old and it's a Dell desktop.

April 11, 2013 2:22:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,

Doc, as long as it does start up I should be going to see her in a month or so. Living in the mountains they don't have close places like many of us have. Will do it if necessary and dad will have to pay for it. lol.

Ah... ok.... Didn't know where she lives, etc.

Bring your tools, Pops!

April 11, 2013 3:04:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I had an isssue with my power button on my current system.  It had been working fine and then just stopped one day.

The problem turned out to be the button itself.  I was able to turn the system on just fine with a screwdriver to close the power on jumper on the motherboard.

I ended up plugging the connection from the reset button onto my Power jumper on the motherboard.  Now I use my reset switch to turn on my machine.  I have no reset function anymore...but now that I type this out I wonder when I might have ever used it when I had it...

Anyhow, just something else to look at.  It might be something simple like a worn out button.

April 11, 2013 6:23:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Modern case buttons are a 'logic' switch.  They 'short' the MoBo contacts to turn on....and the same again to turn off [usually with longer contact].  They aren't a mechanical circuit breaker as they were originally [like a light switch].

If the contacts are dirty....and/or sticking [not releasing when you release your finger] the 'logic' function can be lost.

Mauxe's solution to use the reset switch fixes that exact issue [and is safer than a screwdriver shorting the contacts]....

April 11, 2013 7:39:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mauax and Jafo thanks. I will be up to see her in 4 to 6 weeks and will look at all the advice given.

However I talked to my Daughter and she only has one button on the tower as I also only have one. So don't know where this reset switch is you are talking about.

April 11, 2013 8:51:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
reset switch

It's generally a very small, dark, recessed button only depressible with a stylus or pen point.

April 11, 2013 9:01:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dave, this may not be the problem but it seems to be in line with Jafo's suggestion above. I have a new pc built at a computer shop. It took me a while to realise that if I pressed too hard on the start button, the pc wouldn't start or started but with an error message about the bios being corrupt. It then restored the bios & continued starting up. However, if I very lightly touched the start button the pc started up normally.

April 11, 2013 9:05:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting DaveBax,
reply 12
reset switch

It's generally a very small, dark, recessed button only depressible with a stylus or pen point.

Thanks Doc

Quoting beachbummer,
Dave, this may not be the problem but it seems to be in line with Jafo's suggestion above. I have a new pc built at a computer shop. It took me a while to realise that if I pressed too hard on the start button, the pc wouldn't start or started but with an error message about the bios being corrupt. It then restored the bios & continued starting up. However, if I very lightly touched the start button the pc started up normally.

OK beachbummer I will tell her to try that. Even I don't need to be there for her to do that. lol.

Thanks you all very much and will keep checking to see if there are more comments. Really appreciate all this help and advice.

April 12, 2013 12:09:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Logic switches aren't always that well named....not when a single short press can start it...but just holding it too long pressed can cycle it....from a start to a stop .... all in the one pressing.

Not every Case has a reset switch....eg this Lian Li doesn't....but my earlier one does...

April 12, 2013 7:41:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have seen a similar symptom a couple of times, where it turned out to be the RAM contacts to the MOBO.

she could try removing the ram and re-installing it(WHILE the power is OFF),

but also have seen the symptoms with a power supply on the way out, and depending upon the rated power of the supply and the specs of the computer it might be near the end of life, and the replacement of the supply fixed the problem.

hope one of these suggestions help

harpo

April 12, 2013 12:31:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

harpo, will check that out, thanks

April 12, 2013 12:41:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

And while she is grounded. Static electricity will ruin RAM.

April 12, 2013 1:48:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting harpo99999,
reply 17

And while she is grounded. Static electricity will ruin RAM.

I'm aware of that Doc, thanks for reminding me as I do tend to forget things.

April 12, 2013 2:10:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tell her to leave it running. A computer in itself, cannot start a house fire.

Odds are it's not the start button. A likelier culprit is the plug connection on the front panel in the lower right side of MB. 

April 12, 2013 9:46:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting yrag,
Tell her to leave it running. A computer in itself, cannot start a house fire.

Ever since being Admin here I have left my computer running 24/7 [minus about one week a year] 375 ....and that's over 10 years.

Only conditional though I would add....if it's a CRT monitor....turn that off.  [They have been linked to fires]...

April 13, 2013 9:11:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting yrag, reply 21Tell her to leave it running. A computer in itself, cannot start a house fire.

Ever since being Admin here I have left my computer running 24/7 [minus about one week a year] 375 ....and that's over 10 years.

Only conditional though I would add....if it's a CRT monitor....turn that off.  [They have been linked to fires]...

Goodness! Who still uses CRT monitors?

April 13, 2013 10:44:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Goodness! Who still uses CRT monitors?

Dinosaurs exist....

April 13, 2013 11:05:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's not a CTR monitor.

I did more taking to her and she has confirmed that when she pushes the start button the light does come on. She leves it alone at that poinr and it starts in 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe she has something that is taking a long time to start in the background but I won't be to she her for a few weeks. No snese in me trying to tell her how to check for that. Maybe a reformat may help at this point so I guess dad is going to have to buy her a external drive so she can have her stuff backed up.

Even in their 40's they always seem to need you. Guess they figure it out once we are gone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000421   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.