Windows Blinds & Object Desktop et al

Object Desktop

By on March 19, 2013 9:59:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ritaking1

Join Date 03/2013

I really feel that it should be pointed out ON THE WEBSITE to Windows 8 users that several of the programs we have purchased within Object Desktop are NOT available to us.

We have bought and paid for software that does not exist!

There should be full disclosure. We purchased the software in good faith.

At the very least we should not have to pay full price for a software package that is incomplete.

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 19, 2013 10:30:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

A subscription to Object Desktop is not a 'complete software package' in the sense you seem to consider it.  The subscription entitles you to use any or all of the included applications which are compatible with your OS.  It has never been 'complete' - new applications have always been added to it on the fly & subscribers have been able to use them at no additional cost during the period of subscription (and forever, if they are properly archived) but only on the OS's with which they are compatible.  Some things that certain OD apps could do on XP can't be done on Win7 or Win8 because of fundamental OS differences which can't be 'bridged'.  Some of the apps have been co-opted by Microsoft & incorporated into the OS on occasion, rendering the Object Desktop apps superfluous.  It's an ever-evolving suite, which is one of the reasons I've subscribed for so many years.

The system requirements for each of the applications are clearly listed.  It's unfortunate that you did not 'see' them.

Some are compatible with only Windows XP, some with only Windows Vista & 7, some with only Windows8, some with more than one OS.

I have only XP & Windows 7 so looking at it the way you are, there are Windows8-only apps the 'don't exist' to me, even though I paid 'full price'.  When (if?) I transition to Windows8, they will 'exist' & I can use them, while the apps previously used that are not compatible with Windows8 will 'cease to exist', even though I paid 'full price'.  I hope you get the idea.

You purchased a subscription to the Object Desktop suite during a time of OS transition.  Stardock has included a bunch of apps for Windows8 already, and more are coming.  Patience will be rewarded, but if you desire a refund Stardock will likely be accommodating.

March 20, 2013 6:54:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The ObjectDesktop does specifically mention the required OSes on the System Requirements tab on the purchase page (http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/purchase.asp)

Each app within the suite has its own requirements.  Some only work on Windows 8 (Start8, Decor8, ModernMix), others on all the current Windows OSes, and some do not support Windows 8 yet.

As of right now I believe the only two major apps in ObjectDesktop that do not support Windows 8 are WindowBlinds and SkinStudio (and thats only because it wants a WindowBlinds install).  WindowBlinds 8 is under development and once released will be provided to anyone with a current ObjectDesktop subscription at the time of release.

March 20, 2013 8:27:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
The ObjectDesktop does specifically mention the required OSes on the System Requirements tab on the purchase page (http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/purchase.asp)

that's a pretty poor list though.

one could get the impression there are only three Windows 8 (64-bit) ready applications. a table would be less confusing. also Fences/Fences Pro?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 20, 2013 6:56:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I apologise and stand corrected. The system requirements ARE there on the site. A table would be a good idea though.

I understand Daiwa's explanation also. Thanks for taking the time for that.

It is because I like and enjoy using Stardock programs  (and I am an impatient so-and-so) that I was disappointed to discover that some were not available to me. I look forward to more Windows 8 applications.

March 20, 2013 7:11:30 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

No apology needed, ritaking1.  Glad you understood the positive intent of my reply.

As Object Desktop apps developed for Win8 become available, be sure to 'download and archive' them from the website or via Stardock Central & copy the archives to a backup drive.  That way, should you for some reason not renew your subscription and later have a hard drive crash, or purchase a new computer with the same OS, you'll be able to re-install the apps you've been accustomed to using.  If you fail to archive them, the subscription would need to be renewed to gain access to them again.

And a belated welcome to the Stardock Forums.  You'll find many very knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

March 21, 2013 10:43:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome to the WC ritaking1. Now that you are here you may never leave kinda sorta. Enjoy ODNT!

April 13, 2013 2:11:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i wish i had paid more attention to what would be available to me using windows 8.

i primarily bought (resubscribed) object desktop to get window blinds only to find out afterwards that it's not compatible with version 8 of windows along with quite a few other software in the object desktop.

That's the last time that will happen, I won't make that same mistake again next time it's time to resubscribe, in fact I won't resubscribe again unless most applications are brought up to date to use the most current operating system on windows machines.

April 13, 2013 2:54:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kamidan,

i wish i had paid more attention to what would be available to me using windows 8.

i primarily bought (resubscribed) object desktop to get window blinds only to find out afterwards that it's not compatible with version 8 of windows along with quite a few other software in the object desktop.

That's the last time that will happen, I won't make that same mistake again next time it's time to resubscribe, in fact I won't resubscribe again unless most applications are brought up to date to use the most current operating system on windows machines.

Which other applications in ObjectDesktop are you having problems with on Windows 8?

May 5, 2013 10:50:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This thread cleared up some stuff for me too.  Thanks.  I highly urge Stardock to create a chart of all the apps that include what OS they work with and what included with what package (subscription)  I had to do a lot off looking up stuff to get to what I understand now.  (still not sure I'm 100% correct!)

Here is how I see it.....PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

Object Desktop is: (A one year subcription to all updates and version of the following apps, all apps are still usuable if subscriptionis not renewed, but you will NOT receive new updates or new apps if they are added.)

Modern Mix   (Windows 8)

Fences  (Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (XP 32-bit only))

Start8  (Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012)

DeskScapes  (Windows 8/7)

WindowBlinds  (Windows 7/Vista (32 & 64-bit) and 32-bit Windows XP)

Decor8  (Windows 8)

WindowFX  (Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (32-bit only on XP))

Plus Many More apps! (unspecified)

Q:  Is the above DeskScapes app include the DeskScapes8 for new subscribers with Windows 8?

Q: Is ObjectDock" going to be added to ObjectDesktop?  (As part of the "Plus Many More apps!")

Q: What constitutes "Plus Many More apps?"  What has this historicaly been? What can we expect?

May 6, 2013 1:58:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree that most of us hurriedly ran and got the subscription to OD having Win8 thinking that all is fine. I have windows 8 now and I used OD for XP and was and am a heavy user of WB and Docks! well I like all the rest am hungrily waiting release of WB for windows 8. I commend Stardock for their programs, they are all super rated in my book and I know and trust them to deliver a great WB8 and other win8 programs for us WHEN in their trusting judgment it is ready and time for their release...not being a patient man or user by trade...Stardock has made me patient due to their always being the best at what they do...take your time Stardock and give all of us subscribers the best of all you have as you always have

May 6, 2013 7:59:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting broderp,
Here is how I see it

Everything included can be fount in this list: http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp (and the paragraph below it.)

I will ask the web team to look at putting supported OS on that page.

Quoting broderp,
Q:  Is the above DeskScapes app include the DeskScapes8 for new subscribers with Windows 8?
DS8 is the current application.

Quoting broderp,
Q: Is ObjectDock" going to be added to ObjectDesktop? 

Unlikely

Quoting broderp,
Q: What constitutes "Plus Many More apps?"  What has this historicaly been? What can we expect?

People who subscribed a year ago din't know that Start8, Decor8, and ModernMix would be things.  For them, those apps were the "many more". Who know what you will see during your subscription.

May 6, 2013 12:58:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok then...I think I'm sold.

I'll see about taking the plunge when I get home!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.