Windows 8

By on March 12, 2013 11:10:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ggrimshaw

Join Date 02/2013

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a answer.

When is Objectdock coming out for Windows 8?

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 13, 2013 1:37:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When it is ready to be released i would say.

March 13, 2013 1:51:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not supported, but currently works for me on Windows8.

March 13, 2013 9:51:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a answer.

When is Objectdock coming out for Windows 8?

Hi ggrimshaw,

Stardock is not giving any definitive answer as to "if" or "when" there will actually be an update for ObjectDock: an update that would at absolute bare-bones minimum officially support Windows 8. But hopefully - should an update come - it will offer more than that.

And not everyone in these forums (as well as those not posting in these forums) are having zero problems/issues with the last update/version of ObjectDock, ver. 2.0, released in 2010. Although I am glad to hear that some are content (I assume) with said version running on Windows 8.

Finally, not that this necessarily means much of anything, but as recent as March, 2013, I received marketing email from Stardock advertising ObjectDock 2.0 for sale. (I know, there are tons of Windows 7 and XP users out there; I still use Win7 on my laptop.) So perhaps Stardock may yet also offer that piece of software to the Windows 8 community as well - officially supported. I know that a person from Stardock Care tentatively stated this (although what that person stated could be merely speculative thought: the 'may's' and 'may be's' in their statement detract from certainty), so 'maybe' an update is yet to come, whenever.

regards,

Laurence

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 13, 2013 10:31:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ggrimshaw, I have been using Object Dock Plus (version 1.90 plus) (build 535u) on Windows 8 since the Preview Version of Windows 8 (I now have Windows 8 Pro). ODP works just fine on Windows 8 Pro for me. You can see Object Dock Plus in action on Windows 8 Pro in my Screenshots here:

http://www.wincustomize.com/users/2847002/winstar4

Good luck.

March 16, 2013 8:11:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hey ggrim,

ObjectDock does work pretty well on Windows 8 with one BIG exception, it won't auto-Start like it does in Win7.

My workaround for this for myself and for my clients is simply Renaming the Objectdock on the Start page to "START Win8 Desktop" (for my clients who are used to using Objectdock - most of them).

During delivery introduction, I simply tell them to start their Win8 desktop with this icon so that Objectdock fires up along with the desktop. I also give Objectdock Root Administrator status during final config...

I have tried all kinds of way to get this to fire up automatically. Sadly, I actually think MS has actually put some kind of block on this, I suspect to prevent ANYONE from remotely having a Mac looking Windows Experience... I know it seems silly but after looking at all the impossibly LAME things MS has left out of, or modified in Win8, it's not hard to believe that Steve B probably had another hissy fit. After tossing another chair across the room, probably demanded that Every G-Damn Mac looking thing be removed from Win8...

Just like MS has foolishly put a block on having Aero Glass desktop in Win8... Why go to such extent to Remove & Prevent Aero Desktop?!  While I do like the improved performance of Win8, that is just about the only thing I like about Win8...

All this to sell Phone8 cell phones that will never sell anyway because they are so far behind where Google is at right now... MS is just not getting a clue...

In an effort to be different, MS is hurting itself by annoying pretty much ALL of it's global users hugely with too much irrelevant change...

Sorry for spouting off here but am just sicken by all this every time I do a Win8 build...

Kudos to Stardock for making such a nice suite of cool desktop support stuff among much else! Though I so hope Stardock does NOT get bullied or pushed into Phone8 look alike products like so much of the rest of the industry has but so far looks like they are heading in that direction... Sad to see so much commerce gone mad mentality even in our beloved tech industry...

March 17, 2013 9:05:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi DeadlyDaddio,

Quite a rant.  I hear you.

Perhaps MS is trying to become more Borg-like (from star trek sfi-fy): "we are one." One, in that Microsoft is making more of it's software "poke me" or "touch me" (creepy) tile based, regardless of what hardware it is running on, and regardless of what all their user-base may have wanted (and of course it would have been easy enough to please more of their user-base, but various options and choice were removed and denied). Hmn, I wonder, could assimilation be a part of MS's Borg works.

And there is a rant of mine back at 'ya'.

regards,

Laurence

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.