HELP! Questions About Installation Problems

Object Desktop Crash and Burn

By on March 12, 2013 6:28:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MelancholyB...

Join Date 02/2013

My Computer has Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit Operating System:

My mother bought me a 1 year subscription to "OBJECT DESKTOP" so I could use it for some design work while I'm trapped in bed recovering from chemo and massive coronary failure. I was finally well enough yesterday to download the applications included with my subscription & was very excited to get started. I went to the download page on my account (as instructed in the email). Once I'd logged on there, I was "advised" that I should use the StarDock Downloader for ease of downloading and installing my purchased applications/programmes, so I clicked on that.

A message window soon appeared on my desktop and began downloading the applications. FYI: Point of Interest: The only information about each application on my account page is the name of the app, the individual download link and the "serial number" to register each app. I watched with growing excitement and anticipation as the download and installation procedures progressed. Finally, I received a message to reboot. That's when disaster struck: my computer did a FULL-SCALE CRASH & BURN. I had NO access to anything on my computer. I was given NO option during the download & install process to choose to delete the non-functioning app & install the new version. I wasn't made aware there WAS a problem until AFTER catastrophic failure.

$500/hr for a computer tech & 3 hours later, my computer was cleared of all StarDock products and restored to a previous point in time (something I know how to do but was unable to do because the computer went to a black screen & promptly crashed every time I attempted to log on, it took more tech skills than I possess to correct this mess). AFTER the restoration (the restore point was 2 DAYS before I had installed any StarDock products because the other "available" restore point were created during apps installation processes & were completely useless - even though I created a restore point prior to beginning, it was "disabled for my safety" - WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT?!?).

Question #01: After the restore, there were STILL StarDock products & remnants of some apps on my computer, the tech manually removed all of them. Another FYI: All of my original icons (on my conputer before the installation) are now missing, completely vanished - left in their place is an icon that looks like a white sheet if paper. Now, if I want to open a programme, I must hover on each icon to see what it is. ANNOYING! How do I get the icons back?

I've done some quick reading and noticed that at least 2 products included in the paid subscription are for WINDOWS 8 Operating Systems ONLY ("Start8" & "Decor8"), so that's my fault.

Also, "DeskScapes 3" AND "DeskScapes 8" were listed in the downloads. Of course, "DeskScapes 3" was installed first, then AFTERWARDS I was informed via "error" the programme app would NOT function because there was a "new version" - "DeskScapes 8" - that needed to be downloaded & installed instead. So why not just remove "DeskScapes 3" from the downloads lists in accounts?

Questions #02A & #02B: I also see "DesktopX 3" AND "DesktopX 4" as well as "Window FX4" AND "Window FX5" listed on my account downloads page. Keeping in mind that according to the error message received) stating that I needed "DeskScapes 8" & should NOT have installed "DeskScapes 3",

#02A Does this also mean I should load ONLY "DesktopX 4" and #02B: ONLY  "Windows FX5"?

Question #03:  Are there any more Programmes/Apps in the Object Desktop Subscription that only work with "WINDOWS 8" OS and therefore should not be downloaded?

Question #04: Should I use the "StarDock Downloader"? If yes, is there a way to "deselect" the programmes/apps not compatible so they don't download and crash my computer again (and cause me hours of unnecessary stress trying to resolve the issue)?

Question #05: Are the programmes/apps "stored" together in one space for convenience when you start using them or do you have to open each individually? For instance, when I'm creating a complete desktop theme (possibly including wallpapers, slide shows, colours, icons, pointers, animation and screensaver), can I do that from one interface or am I going to be required to open 4-5 programmes/apps throughout the creative process?

I know I should've looked up each application & read the information - I usually do that but my current state of health has resulted in memory deficiencies, so I wasn't as careful as I usually am. I thought that because the apps were included in my "OBJECT DESKTOP" Subscription, they were "SAFE". I've literally never experienced any issues with downloading & installing programmes and apps because every developer has "warned" or "notified" me (the paying consumer) of compatibly, memory, operating, etc. requirements and compatibility problems BEFORE and throughout the downloading & installation processes. I'm also used to apps "searching" or "analysing" my computer operating system, programmes, etc BEFORE installation & informing or "WARNING" via "errors" or "messages" if apps aren't compatible with my operating system or anything on my computer that might not function properly or at all. Usually, these "warnings" come BEFORE installing (as opposed to AFTER they've installed & telling me the app "requirements" work on a different OS (i.e. "your OS is Windows 7, you must have Windows 8 to use this app"). The downloaded apps caused the crash AND kept me from doing anything about it afterwards by crashing my computer at every log-in attempt.

I want to make sure I do EVERYTHING right BEFORE I attempt to download my "OBJECT DESKTOP" apps this time, so any feedback and help you can give me will be appreciated. Please understand I'm NOT blaming StarDock 100% for these issues (because I could) - I'm EQUALLY responsible for trusting the "corporation/developers/apps" to make this process "as easy to install and use" as advertised that it was (NEVER FAILS). Not everyone is a technological whiz-kid genius... My mother chose this subscription because it was advertised as easy to install & use. I'm not able to stay online for long, so if someone posts helpful info, it may be a little bit before I respond. Thank you in advance for whatever assistance you can provide.

Apologies: I edited this on a documents programme before posting because my online time is limited (due to my current state of health) & didn't notice that the formatting changed after posting... Thank you everyone for your patience & understanding 

Locked Post 12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 12, 2013 7:59:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry to hear about your health problems... hope you pull through and are able to really enjoy life to the fullest.

Just a suggestion: Perhaps you could edit that "wall of text" into paragraphs? It's kind of hard to read as it is.

As for system requirements, you can read about them at www.stardock.com .

Since it was a gift (nice of your mom to gift you that subscription)... if you find you can't use it, contact support@stardock.com - I'm sure they'll try their best to help.

You need to create an account, then use sdc (you'll see it at the webpage I mentioned) to install the apps.

March 12, 2013 8:14:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MelancholyBluez, there are quite a few questions muddled up in that text stream, but the gist of it is... never rely on ANY program installer to guarantee a safe check of your system and its requirements/suitability, but instead ALWAYS check program compatibility before download/install.  The same is true for ALL software.

As DrJBHL has noted the program/system requirements are listed.

Secondly, try to find someone to deal with your computer problems who is NOT charging an obscene rate....

March 12, 2013 8:23:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

I don't believe you've said specifically which version of Windows you're running, though I may have missed it.  Please let us know specifically, such as Win7 Pro 64bit for example.

Let's start with this:

All of my original icons (on my conputer before the installation) are now missing, completely vanished - left in their place is an icon that looks like a white sheet if paper.

please see this thread:

http://forums.wincustomize.com/417810

Reply #7 appears to be batch files you can download and execute directly without re-installing IconPackager for now.  Reply 6 would require that you re-install IconPackager first.  If you choose to re-install IconPackager, for now I'd suggest you use the .exe download from your MyProduct page here   https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products  to avoid a repeat of your earlier experience.

I don't use the Stardock downloader aka Stardock Central myself so I really can't tell you how to negotiate it.  Many people do prefer it and use it without such results, so I would expect that someone can give you guidance on that.

I realize that leaves a lot of questions open, especially regarding which versions to install, but a lot of that may depend on which Windows version you're running.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 12, 2013 8:39:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To fix the blank white icons:

Go to 'Start' in search, type in Regedit. Click on it and open.  In the new window of Registry Editor go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex and delete the subkey/folder 'IconHandler'

March 12, 2013 9:17:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you the only person posting under the name MelancholyBluez?  http://forums.wincustomize.com/440488

March 13, 2013 10:00:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

To fix the blank white icons:

Go to 'Start' in search, type in Regedit. Click on it and open.  In the new window of Registry Editor go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex and delete the subkey/folder 'IconHandler'

Thank you, I'll try that first 

March 13, 2013 10:27:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Are you the only person posting under the name MelancholyBluez?  http://forums.wincustomize.com/440488[/quote]

As far as I know, I'm the only person posting under "MelancholyBluez", but anything is possible, I suppose... (I have a registered, certified trademark for MelancholyBluez©®™)

March 13, 2013 10:39:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,

MelancholyBluez, there are quite a few questions muddled up in that text stream, but the gist of it is... never rely on ANY program installer to guarantee a safe check of your system and its requirements/suitability, but instead ALWAYS check program compatibility before download/install.  The same is true for ALL software.

I knew better when I did it, I usually always read everything first - can I plead brain cancer (w/memory issues) instead of admitting I had a "blonde moment - or two"? 

Quoting Jafo,
Secondly, try to find someone to deal with your computer problems who is NOT charging an obscene rate....

Welcome to "Big City" Australia - everything's expensive, especially when you're homebound and they have to come to you (your 1st surcharge is just to get them interested in helping, the 2nd is to start up the auto, the 3rd is just to show up - and it goes on & on). Most US citizens would die from a heart attack if they had to pay AU rates for the "basics" here - and the AU dollar is stronger than the USA dollar right now...    

March 13, 2013 10:53:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Sorry to hear about your health problems... hope you pull through and are able to really enjoy life to the fullest.

Thanks, you're very kind! 

Quoting DrJBHL,
Just a suggestion: Perhaps you could edit that "wall of text" into paragraphs? It's kind of hard to read as it is.

As for system requirements, you can read about them at www.stardock.com .

Just edited, hope it's a little easier to read now. I didn't realise the formatting didn't "stick"

Quoting DrJBHL,
Since it was a gift (nice of your mom to gift you that subscription)... if you find you can't use it, contact support@stardock.com - I'm sure they'll try their best to help.

You need to create an account, then use sdc (you'll see it at the webpage I mentioned) to install the apps.

Yes, my mother is truly awesome - she was afraid I'd get bored, depressed, etc & not continue my design work. I'm reading everything I can on these apps before attempting to re-install & will most likely contact support if I have questions that can't be answered here - thanks for your help. 

March 13, 2013 11:10:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I'm not "Official" support or connected with Stardock in any way, but all the same, I try to be helpful to others in these forums. Call it a hobby, if you will.

First of all. thanks for cleaning up the text and best of luck with your health issues.

#1 I have addressed.

#2a and b: Desktop X 4 is the one you want to use. 3.5 has issues running scripts. WFX5 is a further enhanced version over WFX4 and is the preferred one to use. So the answer to "Does this also mean I should load ONLY "DesktopX 4" and #02B: ONLY  "Windows FX5"? is yes.

#3: Start8, Decor8 and ModernMix are all Win8 only. They should not be installed on previous OSes.

#4:You can use SDC "the downloader" but be advised it is still a beta. Yes, you can open settings within it and tell it to ignore apps you don't want or cannot use.

#5: Theme Manager is supposed to be a "one interface " solution to theme your computer but due to inconsistent results it is better to just use the individual programs themselves.

As for DeskScapes, either DS 3 or DS 8 should be installable and run fine on Win7. DS8 is a newer version and has an all new GUI but aside from that they function pretty much the same way.

If you do not wish to use SDC for downloading your programs, you may log on to you account at https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products and get them from there also.

March 13, 2013 11:36:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One more thing. It is highly recommended that you save all the installers for each program.(even the ones you can't currently use) Should you choose to not renew your subscription, you will not have access to them for downloading. If you need to reinstall anything in the future under those conditions, your own archives are an absolute essential.

I hope I have been helpful and welcome to WinCustomize. Always feel free to ask for help in any SD forum. There are some very good people here.

March 13, 2013 3:47:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
One more thing. It is highly recommended that you save all the installers for each program.(even the ones you can't currently use)

And while you're at it save the web page as a text file and keep it with the installers so you have your registration codes.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.