Worth the wait.....? .... Mostly! ;)

By on March 11, 2013 2:32:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Rechlai63

Join Date 01/2010

I've been an avid DeskScapes user for several years now. I've followed DeskScapes as my computer needs have changed and it's usually kept up with me. each incremental upgrade I've made from Windows NT, to XP, to Win 7 and now Windows 8.  I'm also an avid user of WidnowBlinds, Fences, and Object Desktop. That said, I'm content with the offerings Stardock has offered me over the years and I've found your products value to me and it's prices a fair exchange.

About the only minor gripe I have is I'm wondering since Windows 8 didn't natively support mpeg2 why was an mpeg2 codex built into deskscape? I'm not a huge computer geek so If there's a really complicated explanation you'd have to lay out It will probably be lost on me. But I'd still like an idea as to why that didn't happen. I have several deskscapes my wife and I were really fond of that we cannot use now, even after downloading and installing a free mpeg2 codex.

Thx,

Sort of a Bummer

2 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 11, 2013 3:29:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As I understand it there are licensing fees involved with including a MPEG2 codec. Including such codec would require a price adjustment for DeskScapes and most users already have such codec on their systems anyway (DVD Player, Burning Software, Video Editing Software, Windows Media Center etc.).

March 11, 2013 3:46:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting SvSchfer,
As I understand it there are licensing fees involved with including a MPEG2 codec. Including such codec would require a price adjustment for DeskScapes and most users already have such codec on their systems anyway (DVD Player, Burning Software, Video Editing Software, Windows Media Center etc.).

Yes, that's the case.  Prices for such can be prohibitive...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.