Run Modern (Metro) apps in a window on your Windows 8 desktop with ModernMix™ Beta now available!

By on March 6, 2013 1:01:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+611

ModernMix_logo

ModernMix is a groundbreaking new application that gives you the ability to run Windows 8 Modern (Metro) apps in a window on the desktop.

Windows 8 Modern apps, also known as "Metro" or RT apps, always run full screen on your display regardless of how much of the screen they really need. As a result, that weather app, mail program or stock ticker is going to use the entirety of your PC's display.

ModernMix enables you to run multiple Modern (Metro) apps in individual separate windows on the desktop as well as launch them from the desktop. Running Modern apps will also appear on your taskbar where they can be pinned for quick access later.

Features:

• Run Windows 8 Modern apps in a window on the desktop
  • Display and pin Modern apps on the taskbar
  • Explicitly close Modern apps by clicking its close button
  • And more!

How to get it:

ModernMix beta is available as a free 30-day trial.

Purchase ModernMix today for only $4.99 and receive a free update to the full version when it releases in the near future.

To learn more visit: http://tinyurl.com/b5rrtu6

screenshot_3[1] screenshot_6[1]
Switch between several running Modern apps on your desktop Stream Netflix or other videos while running Skype, and other everyday apps
43 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2013 1:09:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

COOL!!!!!

March 6, 2013 1:28:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was sure I had two questions, one was will there be a video to show just what ModernMix can do, but I found the video.  The second question, which I think I know the answer to, will ModernMix become part of ObjectDesktop as have Start8 and Decor8. 

This just may help me make a decision about loading up Windows 8 on the computer, now if we just had some info about updates to existing programs. 

March 6, 2013 1:28:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very nice!  For those of us with huge and/or multiple monitors, this will be most welcome indeed.

Now the only thing holding me back from switching to W8 is a Windowblinds port, which I am sure you are working on.  I need my glass everywhere.  

Kudos!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 6, 2013 1:32:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

awaiting the email with the download link at the moment but the premise of this app is pretty darn nice. hopefully WB8 will be released within the next 30 days and i can renew my OD sub. (hint hint nudge nudge)

March 6, 2013 1:33:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oooh, I got an idea!

Some of those metro apps become almost widget like.  The only thing keeping them from looking so are the windows borders and buttons.

So my feature request/suggestion would be the option to set a Metro aps window border/buttons to Appear on Mouse Over only, meaning they fade away entirely until the mouse moves over it (sunmouse), or if you want, when the ap gains focus with a mouse click/drag, etc.

What do you guys think?  Would make Windows 8 under Modern Mix look even cleaner and prettier, yes?

March 6, 2013 1:36:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Damn that is pretty smart ^^ will test it tonight 

March 6, 2013 1:36:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

I was sure I had two questions, one was will there be a video to show just what ModernMix can do, but I found the video.  The second question, which I think I know the answer to, will ModernMix become part of ObjectDesktop as have Start8 and Decor8. 

This just may help me make a decision about loading up Windows 8 on the computer, now if we just had some info about updates to existing programs. 

ModernMix is part of ObjectDesktop yes.

There was a slight delay on it showing up on SDC, but it should be up there now.

March 6, 2013 1:37:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Excalpius,

Oooh, I got an idea!

Some of those metro apps become almost widget like.  The only thing keeping them from looking so are the windows borders and buttons.

So my feature request/suggestion would be the option to set a Metro aps window border/buttons to Appear on Mouse Over only, meaning they fade away entirely until the mouse moves over it (sunmouse), or if you want, when the ap gains focus with a mouse click/drag, etc.

What do you guys think?  Would make Windows 8 under Modern Mix look even cleaner and prettier, yes? 

An interesting idea, but I am unsure if there is the demand.

Anyone else want this?

March 6, 2013 1:39:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Excalpius,
Very nice! For those of us with huge and/or multiple monitors, this will be most welcome indeed.

Now the only thing holding me back from switching to W8 is a Windowblinds port,

Ditto. Already running 8 on my Laptop but the fullscreen issue with Modern Apps is what kept me from updating my desktop.

Something I noticed....I tried to activate it first rather than click on the trial button at the top and that's why i did not get the config screen initially.

March 6, 2013 1:40:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This may sound dumb, but how do I enable it ?

March 6, 2013 1:41:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ah, okay. Thanks, Lantec.

March 6, 2013 1:42:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Anyone else want this?

Depends... Can you skin the frames, or will the frames be skinned with Windowblinds 8 ?

(And will Wb8 come anytime soon )

March 6, 2013 1:43:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

GREAT !

March 6, 2013 1:45:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Demo video.

March 6, 2013 1:48:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Excalpiusreply 5 Oooh, I got an idea!Some of those metro apps become almost widget like.  The only thing keeping them from looking so are the windows borders and buttons.So my feature request/suggestion would be the option to set a Metro aps window border/buttons to Appear on Mouse Over only, meaning they fade away entirely until the mouse moves over it (sunmouse), or if you want, when the ap gains focus with a mouse click/drag, etc.What do you guys think?  Would make Windows 8 under Modern Mix look even cleaner and prettier, yes?   An interesting idea, but I am unsure if there is the demand. Anyone else want this?

I think its a great idea! Cant wait to try this out tonight!

March 6, 2013 1:50:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

An interesting idea, but I am unsure if there is the demand. Anyone else want this?

Thanks for considering it, Neil.  You guys are really great on listening to users.  Even demanding ones like me.  

What made me think of it is the lack of Aero glass in W8.  I have REALLY gotten use to glass window frames because, honestly, they are 99% useless pixels of screen real estate.  Turning them to glass in W7 brought the important information to be front and center, rather than the UI overhead.

I just saw that pretty Metro weather ap (a complete waste of fullscreen real estate) and thought "the only thing junking that up are those ugly square Metro borders and buttons, I wish they could go away". 

If you did give it a go, I assume it would be a "per window/ap" choice, like say, Transparency is in other Stardock products like WindowFX. 

Thanks for listening.

March 6, 2013 2:09:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting neone6,

Quoting Neil Banfield, reply 8An interesting idea, but I am unsure if there is the demand.
Anyone else want this?

Depends... Can you skin the frames, or will the frames be skinned with Windowblinds 8 ?

(And will Wb8 come anytime soon )

The frames are normal Windows ones, so they should match the rest of the OS.

As for WB8, that is still in development.

March 6, 2013 4:11:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Fantastical!

March 6, 2013 5:13:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Absolutely fantastic work! Finally not having to switch to Metro Mode when adding bluetooth devices and then having to switch back. Just waiting on Windowblinds 8 now so I can get rid of these horrible square corners! Just wondering if MS have made it difficult to make it work with Win8, seems they don't like anything but plain square square looks.

March 6, 2013 5:25:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Anyone else want this?

Quoting Excalpius,
If you did give it a go, I assume it would be a "per window/ap" choice, like say, Transparency is in other Stardock products like WindowFX.

fwiw that would make great sense to me.

March 6, 2013 5:41:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i guess the 'enter your email addy to get the beta' part of it doesn't work. i gave one addy around 1:20 and another 30 minutes later and have yet to get an email for the download at either addy.

March 6, 2013 5:54:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

when will this show on my downloads page?

March 6, 2013 6:07:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great program! Why doesn't Microsoft think of these things!

March 7, 2013 10:35:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah! It's really a nice idea! I really like it! Will surely buy if added more feature.

March 7, 2013 10:54:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting raymonvisualph,
Will surely buy if added more feature.

What more would you want?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.