Windows Dragging Animations problem that appeared recently

By on March 1, 2013 8:59:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ancalimonungol

Join Date 10/2012

Recently, a problem appeared when using window dragging animations.

When they are enabled (both WindowsFX style or Compiz style), if you move a window almost to the topmost part of the screen, the contect of the window gets invisible and the window shows whats on the background-desktop. Also sometimes I get flickering windows.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2013 8:54:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You are DEFINITELY NOT alone with the invisible windows , lots of have been having his for a while, all stardock seen to say is they know about it for the last few months.

March 5, 2013 7:11:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting stevvie70555,

You are DEFINITELY NOT alone with the invisible windows , lots of have been having his for a while, all stardock seen to say is they know about it for the last few months.

So is this related to a recent Windows7 update or maybe a recent driver update with graphics cards?  I have ATI 7970 using the 13.2 beta7 driver.

March 5, 2013 4:51:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the solution to this issue.

It is this Windows update: Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)  I am running an older system and directX10. I do not know if this update will effect DX11 systems but for sure it screwed up mine. It is an optional update, So just uninstall it' Problem fixed. Update realesed 2/27/2013 To uninstall an update open controll panel/ programs and features/ uninstall a program in the left panel select veiw installed updates then find this update and uninstall. (note) if you get an error when uninstalling it restart you computer and try again. the error is caused by a pending restart needed, related to thes update or not. Go wobbly windows!

Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)

Download size: 11.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 12, 2013 8:29:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting WHATSTHIS,

I have the solution to this issue.

It is this Windows update: Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)  I am running an older system and directX10. I do not know if this update will effect DX11 systems but for sure it screwed up mine. It is an optional update, So just uninstall it' Problem fixed. Update realesed 2/27/2013 To uninstall an update open controll panel/ programs and features/ uninstall a program in the left panel select veiw installed updates then find this update and uninstall. (note) if you get an error when uninstalling it restart you computer and try again. the error is caused by a pending restart needed, related to thes update or not. Go wobbly windows!

Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838)

Download size: 11.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com[/quote]

I don't think that's it as I do NOT have that update installed and I get the invisible window dragging bug. Also if that was it, that would mean Stardock are writing code outside windows parameters. I might download and install that update just to see what happens

ancalimon2, I run an Nvidia GTX560TI 448 and have tried MANY drivers, so doubt it a driver issue as both ati and Nvidia users are suffering from this.

March 14, 2013 5:48:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Removing that update (KB2670838) fixed the problem. Then it appeared again today. Windows installed that update again automatically. I guess I need to hide that update.

March 14, 2013 7:27:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It seems like this DirectX11 update (KB2670838) breaking WindowFX is automatically installed with Internet Explorer 10.  So don't install Internet Explorer 10 if you want to keep using WindowFx. Also uninstall KB2670838 if you already installed it.

EDIT: It turns out that this DirectX update is mandatory for the upcoming DX11 update. So no more WindowFX for me till it's fixed.

April 2, 2013 1:52:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Any news on a fix?

April 18, 2013 7:48:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I guess WindowFx is no longer supported? Is it abandoned?

April 18, 2013 9:13:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WinFX is not abandoned. It's being worked on. If you want a response more quickly than waiting to see one here, fire off an email to support@stardock.com.

April 18, 2013 9:59:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just redownloaded WindowFX. The version number is same but the file is 1kb larger. I reinstalled it and tried updateing Directx11.  It seems like the problems are no longer here.

May 17, 2013 5:00:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Another slight modification to this behavior is, If a move a window at the normal speed I almost certainly see nothing under my pointer. But if I drag the window REALLY really slowly I get to see the contents and effects, once content and effects are shown I can move the window at any speed and still see contents and effects, Until I let go of the mouse and move said window again. Hope this helps tech if they read this.

May 23, 2013 2:25:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows seem to go invisible mainly if they're not mostly on top of other windows while dragging. On my nVidia GTX580, they consistently disappear when I drag away from windows lower in the stacking order.

Using Tweak7, I turned off "Enable window animations" and "Enable DPI auto-scaling" and this seemed to help -- there's less blinking now, and the disappearing act occurs more predictably.

HTH

ac

May 23, 2013 2:44:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting stevvie70555,
Hope this helps tech if they read this.

They read the threads in 'Support'...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.