Fences 2.0 and DeskScape 8

Icons in Fences Immovable

By on February 28, 2013 2:07:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

andytaylor3252

Join Date 08/2012

I have just started using Windows 8 Pro and I appreciate some of my Object Desktop programs, which I love, do not work well on there.  However I have loaded Start 8, Decor 8, FX5 (which works better in 8 than 7) and Fences 2.0.  Everything worked okay until I loaded DeskScape 8 (and 3 for some reason??) and suddenly Fences 2.0 has started playing up, e.g. I cannot move icons around the desktop or into or within Fences.  Unloaded Fences 2.0 and everything was back to normal, e.g. desktop icons movable.  Loaded Fences 2.0 again, the same problem, removed Deskscape 8 and everything back to normal.  Loaded Deskscape back and immovable icons again.  I have decided I prefer DeskScape over Fences, though I do miss its functionality, so hopefully a Fences 8 might be on its way, if not and 2.0 is suppose to work then have I found a problem?

Cheers Guys

Added: 03/03/2013: I have now noticed that DeskScape 8 does not always load and I end up with a Bing Desktop (even though I have un-ticked the make Bing picture my wallpaper option)

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2013 5:29:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, Fences and DeskScapes don't play well together until you restart...

March 2, 2013 5:26:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the same problem, DeskScapes 8, Fences 2.0, Windows 8 Pro.

Bought and installed Deskscapes, love it! Decided to try out Fences.  Love the functionality, was about to buy it when I found I could not move my icons at all, whether they were in a fence or outside of one.  Went through forums, saw other ppl with same issue.  Does not work even after a reboot.  Tried uninstalling Deskscapes 8, I could move my icons again.  Installed Deskscapes 8, could not move icons.  If you could fix Fences so that it works with DeskScapes 8 I will instantly buy it!

March 3, 2013 3:52:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, so I did some troubleshooting

I've tried logging off and loggin back in, there's no change, I still cannot move icons around.

However, if I PAUSE Deskscapes, log off, and log back in, I can move my icons around.  As soon as I resume Deskscapes I cannot move my icons again.

I hope you guys can fix this so I can buy this great product!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 6, 2013 11:51:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Exactly same problem.

Please, resolve the bug asap.

What a nightmare with these software release.

Thank you.

March 8, 2013 10:18:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is only a Temporary fix until Stardock resolves the problem.

Instead of uninstalling DeskScapes you can turn it off under "Services\Stardock DeskScapes 8" right click on it and select "Properties" then "Disable" under the "Start type:" option then select "Stop" under the "Service status". You may need to restart after these changes. Once Stardock has resolved the issue you will need to go back into Services and reverse the settings.

You can always setup your Fences the way you like and then go back and turn DeskScapes Services back on again.

Hope this temporarily helps.

March 11, 2013 1:13:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Agh, this fix works but it's a real PITA if you use your desktop lots!

March 14, 2013 8:44:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just installed Fences 2 Beta version 2.09 and my problem has gone away.

June 5, 2013 5:51:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've had to uninstall deskscape 8 to get fences to work, and I just bought the $49.99 bundle.

Which is pretty poor, really.

January 29, 2014 5:01:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still nox fixed!? You know about that problem since 2009 

http://forums.stardock.com/368008/page/1/

January 29, 2014 6:53:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This should not be an issue if you have the very latest version of Fences installed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.