Fences 1.0, PURCHASED spamming me about 2.0

By on February 27, 2013 9:33:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

LoneCoder

Join Date 09/2006

This is totally inexcusable.   Fences 1.0, which I purchased has for the fourth time popped up a spam advertisement about Fences 2.0.

Once was enough.   I expect far better from Stardock.  

Support has informed me it cannot be stopped.  That is an unacceptable answer.  Your software is now acting like malware - it's pushing advertisements onto my screen withOUT my authorization.  

Please make it stop.

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 28, 2013 12:03:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd say it was authorized when you bought/installed the software. 

February 28, 2013 12:15:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

with my authorization.

That says it all.

February 28, 2013 12:19:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i don't get any notifications at all and i've been a customer for years. There must be some box somewhere that you can check off notfications.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 4, 2013 6:15:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Obviously that was a typo.  I've contacted support and they've told me there's nothing to be done about it.    I've traded several emails with them at this point.

Seriously?   Do you really think this is ok?   I'm talking about a pop up box in the middle of my screen that requires me to click it to go away.   Pestering you to pay money for an upgrade after i've purchased something is what malware does.   There is no difference.  

So if every piece of software you bought suddenly started popping up requests every month or so for you to upgrade to the next version, you'd be ok with this?  

That's insane and you know it.   

Here you go:

[Private communication removed - Admin] 

March 4, 2013 6:40:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've never seen a popup with any of stardock software. More than likely it's checking for updates. Most software does it now days. This is not how malware works at all not even close. I have software that checks for updates. I just ether get the update or click no. It does not really bother me that much. but like I said I have never had any from stardock software. I get an email from them. but I signed up for them. So that's no big deal.

March 5, 2013 10:10:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can confirm that the popup ad on Fences advertising version 2 is correct. It's happened to me as well. For me, it just acted as a reminder to install version 2 on that machine.

March 6, 2013 9:15:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Four occurrences over how long a period and how times Fences 1 ran?  I've seen it too, probably at least five to ten times, but it's a very occasional annoyance.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.