Win 8: No support for desktop collage and most of the other premium dreams. Will that change?

By on February 27, 2013 2:59:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Asound

Join Date 07/2005
+2

According to the windows 8 ready library, kind of none of the existing premium skins are currently supported. Since I own of lot of those and like them very much, I'am a bit dissapointed.

Will that ever change? When could we expect support?

Why are even those amazing videos by TheMasterBaron affected? Due to some changes some hybrid dreams may do not work now, but a simple video?

Are they all actually working totally fine?

Currently I do not have any use for deskscapes on win 8 which I mainly use now, which why I have not bought the update yet . But I also really miss some dreams

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2013 3:20:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I see lots of MB's skins are Win8 supported.  What skins are you specifically having a problem with?

Also, about Win8 support:

When using video in your dream, please use WMV or AVI files. Windows 8 no longer includes an MPEG2 decoder without the Windows Media Center addon pack. This means most users of Windows 8 may not be able to use your dream if it includes MPEG2 video. MPEG4 dreams in AVI format (NOT MPEG 4 part 10/h.264) should work fine.

February 27, 2013 3:22:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't run Dreams. Correct me If I'm wrong but I think you need deskscapes to run the dreams. Probably should wait for someone who's more in the know.

February 27, 2013 3:38:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have no issues with desktop collage dream in windows 8 pro 64 bit.  Windows 8 does not support MPG2 video anymore due to high cost of including with windows and neither can Stardock support the cost either.  If you download and install the windows Media centre for windows 8, all should work fine as well as it does include the MPG2 video codec in the package.  Get it here :http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/windows-media-center

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14933403@N05/8513122777/

hope that helps

GigaByte69

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 27, 2013 3:39:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I mainly referred to the premium skins. Currently there are a total of 20 premium dreams. When you click the box to only show win 8 ready dreams in the library, you end up with 4. So one of the best seem to not work on windows 8 anymore.

I would like to try it for myself, but due to some server problems I have not recieved the download link for the demo yet.

Edit: I do own the media center, just for desk scapes, lol. It was once free anyway. So hearing that it helps sounds good! It's time to buy the upgrade I guess.

Edit2: Thanks for the info GigaByte69!

February 27, 2013 4:13:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stars and Dream Hacker both work fine as well. Also Colored Lights, Desktop Colors, Drips, Moving Wallpaper, and Hexscape.

February 27, 2013 5:30:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have bought it now. Some dreams really do work (so far I only tested moving wallpaper and collage succesfully). But the premium videos by TheMasterBaron dont seem to. I always get a message, which tells me that there was not a decoder found, even though I have installed some mpeg 2. But the message also says it may be the resolution of the dream and I do know that those videos do have an odd resolution. If really that is the case, it will probably never work? Why is something like the resolution a problem now? On windows 7 they were working perfectly. Is it actually still a decoder issue? I tested "Asteroids", I guess the other ones are not working either then.

One of the included video dreams, planktonic, is working. Is this one using a different video format?

At least the most very important ones, are working!

February 27, 2013 6:19:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Asound,
On windows 7 they were working perfectly. Is it actually still a decoder issue? I tested "Asteroids",
Ditto, with the same results. Ran fine prior to DS8.
Windows7/64 Ultimate 1680x1050

February 27, 2013 7:47:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

At the time those dreams were made MB and I were creating dreams for 16.10 resolution widescreen monitors. That was the aspect ratio for widescreen monitors back then. Now, 16.9 aspect ratio monitors have become the norm and 16.10 were fazed out.

The ones you are referring to are encoded at 1792x1120 which for some reason Windows 8 does not seem to support no matter if you have a MPEG2 codec or not. I've found that Windows 8 doesn't like anything over 1080 so 1120 no longer works.

Unless MB re-uploads his at a standard resolution like 1920x1080, they will not work in Windows 8.

For the record, the reason why 1792x1120 resolution was used was that it was the only high resolution that TMPGEnc Express would allow for 16.10. Since that was our encoder of choice, it was the best resolution to use.

I've been working on re-encoding my most popular dreams to work for Windows 8 although I would prefer to stick with MPEG2 due to the higher CPU requirements of AVI and WMV.

As for MPEG2 support, most versions of Windows prior to 8 didn't support it natively anyway. It has always been required to supply your own MPEG2 codec so it makes no sense to me that it's being made out to be a big deal now. Also, MPEG2 was recommended to use over WMV to keep CPU usage to a minimum.

Edit: When I first installed DeskScapes 8 in Windows 7, the dreams encoded at 1792x1120 worked fine. With the version I'm using now on Windows 7, they don't work at all. Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall 3.5 on my Windows 7 machine..

February 27, 2013 9:15:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Windows7/64 Ultimate 1680x1050
My aspect ratio is 16:10 and Asteroids ran fine until DS8.

Quoting CarGuy1,
Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall 3.5 on my Windows 7 machine..

I have no desire to go backwards on the versions. I hope Stardock can fix this. my resolution is not that unusual.

February 27, 2013 9:36:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wiz...I don't think it's Stardock.

These were working for me yesterday on my Win 7 machine before I installed the IE10 update. Today they wouldn't work. I did a system restore to before I installed IE10 and now those dreams work fine again.

Did you by chance install the IE10 update? If so, try a system restore to before you updated.

February 28, 2013 12:26:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
Did you by chance install the IE10 update?
Yes, I did and I uninstalled it along with update KB2670838 this afternoon. Thanks for reminding me to check. The dream now runs like a...well, a dream. Maybe it was just me but IE10 just wasn't performing consistently across several sites, so I rolled back to IE9.

February 28, 2013 1:27:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I downloaded and installed ZOOM Player (free) along with the extra codecs that instal automatically. It completely solved my problems running  all of the dreams I have tried including STARS and DESKTOP COLLAGE. I am running Win8 64bt.

February 28, 2013 5:55:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting CarGuy1,
reply 10
Did you by chance install the IE10 update?Yes, I did and I uninstalled it along with update KB2670838 this afternoon. Thanks for reminding me to check. The dream now runs like a...well, a dream. Maybe it was just me but IE10 just wasn't performing consistently across several sites, so I rolled back to IE9.

I read that Microsoft is going to make IE 10 an important update so if they do, it will install automaticly on systems with autupdate turned on.

February 28, 2013 1:58:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I see. So I have to figure out, how to rollback IE, I'am not using it anyway. Thanks for the tip!

February 28, 2013 2:08:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Asound,
I see. So I have to figure out, how to rollback IE, I'am not using it anyway. Thanks for the tip!
Open Add/Remove, select show updates, find the one for IE10 and uninstall it that will give you IE9 back. You may also need to remove the other update I mentioned as well.

February 28, 2013 3:51:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have already been there, only found an security update for ie10. Deleted that with window update. Killed my system, lol.

Thankfully a system restore point has been set. I have to look more into it.

Edit: Win 8 seems to only be able to use ie 10

I'am able to fully delete it tough. Which I will try. But isnt other software like steam using it? Let's see how I end up now.

Edit: It did not crash. No negative effect on other software, but neither did it help with those "problem" dreams. Stupid restrictions.

February 28, 2013 6:35:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Am still using IE8.

March 5, 2013 4:14:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
These were working for me yesterday on my Win 7 machine before I installed the IE10 update. Today they wouldn't work. I did a system restore to before I installed IE10 and now those dreams work fine again.

Ah, cool, glad to see you're already aware of this CarGuy1.  I posted a comment for your Snowy Day dream a few days ago about it no longer working once I installed IE10 on 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.  I wonder if all of the dreams you created using that particular codec or resolution might have issues once IE10 is installed.

- Troy

March 5, 2013 7:44:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is very likely that a Windows update has broken DeskScapes.

You can find information about it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

If you want to remove this update, use the following steps:

Open the installed programs by typing "View Installed updates" in your start panel
-- http://sd.stardock.com/zubaz/images/2013-03-01_1301.png

Navigate to Microsoft Windows Updates and select KB2670838
-- http://sd.stardock.com/zubaz/images/2013-03-01_1302.png

Select it and then select the Uninstall button near the top of the window.
-- http://sd.stardock.com/zubaz/images/2013-03-01_1303.png

Select "Yes" when prompted to uninstall.

Restart your PC when prompted.

April 20, 2013 6:36:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I downloaded the free Zoom Player also and now some older dreams work. I also run win8-64.. Just my 2cents...

April 24, 2013 8:22:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yeah it was that update finally got astroid and parasite working thank you

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.