An old guy newbie

By on February 24, 2013 8:53:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mjb0919

Join Date 02/2013
+9

I hope this is the correct forum.... forgive me if its not.

Just wanted to say that even someone as tech illiterate as myself can appreciate how great a site this is.  I recently retired, and having more idle time, I got back into playing on the computer more. I quickly realized that the 95 xp desktop I had was completely obsolete by todays standards so I purchased my 1st laptop, a sony vaio touchscreen with windows 8.

Having an ipad I figured it wouldn't be too too bad getting used to. After about 2 weeks of constantly learning and trying things out I found windows8 a vastly superior os to xp, and expected as much. There were little things that I missed and/or wished it had , like a clock and being able to put whatever I wanted on the windows8 start screen so I started searching for programs able to do that. I came upon Stardock while reading a solution blog somewhere and a tiny, whispy reply to someone complaining about a different programs limited ability with the Start screen in win8, that said...Try Stardock's Decor8, as it does everything easily.

Lo and behold..This place is fantastic and I have quickly found that they don't offer up anything that isn't almost foolproof in design.  I find that anything I have purchased a total enhancement to windows8, almost as if MS hired them to complete the job. I "trialed" decor8, then start8, and fences and immediately purchased them within a half hour of trying them. Today I am "trying" the deskScapes8 and it took me awhile to get it running, as I downloaded the wrong one in the beginning and had to uninstall and redownload the "8" beta version. It works great except for some "codec"?? issues on some dreams.

I'm learning, mostly from this site's forums and greatly appreciate everyone's input. So consider me a sponge-like troll I guess. Thanks! and sorry for the longwinded note...it comes with age I guess>

mikeB

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 24, 2013 11:30:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Welcome to the asylum, mikeB. 

Hope you enjoy your stay here.  You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

February 24, 2013 11:49:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome to the world of skinning. I'd recommend taking a look at the ObjectDesktop suite of programs, which is a bundle of software including such things as WindowBlinds, IconPackager, DeskScapes, DesktopX and a bunch of others .You save a lot that way. Some of them aren't ready for Windows 8, yet. Try this page to find the programs:   http://www.stardock.com/products/

Here, you can see some WindowBlinds:     http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds

Here, you can see a lot of skins for various programs:    http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/all

February 25, 2013 12:27:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Mike, Welcome to Wincustomize.

You´ll see that all software works as a charm if it´s updated to Win 8.

The actual "Skinning" of the OS itself is done by a Program called Windowblinds, but that one isn´t updated for 8 yet, but will be soon.

I´m glad you enjoy your experience so far and hope to see you around.

neone6

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 25, 2013 12:34:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

mikeB... welcome. 

When looking at Stardock's products, pay close attention to what does and doesn't (yet) support Windows 8...

Hope you enjoy the asylum and the inmates.

February 25, 2013 4:45:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi.....I are an inmate, nic's uvah and I skin Sysmetrix, docks and occasionally Rainlendar. Welcome to sunny WC Mike. Here we got what Microstuff wish it had. Enjoy your stay. 

February 25, 2013 5:54:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi MikeB ...welcome to a great place!!!

February 25, 2013 6:30:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yo Mike.. welcome!!!!

February 25, 2013 7:30:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Customization is the name, having fun is the game. If you don’t have fun you’re doing something wrong. Welcome!

February 25, 2013 8:09:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome Mike! Have a ball!

February 25, 2013 12:26:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi MikeB,

Your reserach and instincts brought you to the right place. Stardock and Wincustomize are the best customization and skinning sites anywhere (IMHO). There are many very talented and generous people here. Most people are willing to help you if you just ask. You bring back memories of when I first found this site. I was like a kid in a candy store. I still get butterflies sometimes when I see some of the awesome work posted on WC, or a new program (like Start8 or Fences or Decor8) developed by the Stardock Team. As you surf the site you may want to check out the Screenshot section(s). They will give you good ideas of the endless possibilities of customization made possible by Stardock and the WC family.

Welcome aboard!

February 25, 2013 12:34:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

An old guy newbie are you, well age is relative around here.  I'm also retired but for a much longer time than you.  You might find you have to run with the younger crowd here. 

February 25, 2013 12:38:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome Mike, glad that you decided to spend a bit more time on the PC here at Wincustomize. Lots of good folks here and I know you'll make some great friends as well.             -- Ace --

February 25, 2013 12:50:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome.

February 25, 2013 5:14:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wow.... The overwhelming response makes me wish I had found this place years ago! Thank You all! I can never leave, as Daiwa quoted .

I'm already in trouble, as I have spent so much time browsing everything here and buyin$ stuff!

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.>

Mike B

February 25, 2013 6:16:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Now that your are here.......................have some dis... ...and some dis... and post your new desktop. Want to see!

February 25, 2013 7:31:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Do you just take a pic of it with a phone or camera? Or is there another way?

February 25, 2013 7:48:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Top-right of your keyboard is a key called 'print screen' or 'prt scrn', etc.  Press that, and open up a graphics proggy [MSPaint] and right-click and paste it into that.   Then save as a jpg and upload to our 'screenshots' gallery.  Once approved you'll be able to copy paste here into this thread...

February 25, 2013 7:48:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Winstar,

Yeah..like a kid in a candy store alright. Haven't stopped since I found the place. I'm trying to temper my impulses, with no luck so far.

I was checking out the awesome screenshots yesterday and wondered how they take them. Uvah just asked for mine and I'm not sure how to go about it yet. Plus..being new at this, it probably isn't worth the look yet ...ha

February 25, 2013 7:50:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Jafo!

February 25, 2013 8:01:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There should be a button on your keyboard that says PRTSC...it means print screen. If you have a graphics program like Photoshop or one like it you can open it up and where it says file>new click on it and a new document will open then click edit>paste and the screenshot will be placed there. Then save it as a .jpeg. To get it here you'll need to access a image sharing site like photobucket or Image shack. Photobucket is rather easy. Its free to join. Create an account then up top is a green button that says upload. Click on that and another screen will come up and in the white box another button says browse files. Click on that and navigate to where you saved the screenshot. Once its uploaded click on view library and you'll see your picture there. Mouse over the image at the top right and a drop down menu will appear. Click on get links. The one you want is the direct link. Click on that and it will say copied then come back to the forum page and click on the green tree. A window appears and in it right click on the text box and paste the url, that's the direct link, then click on insert. your image will appear in the reply. Sounds complicated but once you're used to it ...a piece of cake.

February 25, 2013 9:00:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh yah, I simply tried to copy and paste the shot here and of course it wouldn't . I'll try to get onto Photobucket and do it.

I did what I think is a successful upload to the screenshots forum. Not sure, as it said it was submitted and saved, but it hasn't shown itself yet. I probably didn't do something correctly.

Right now I keep switching between 2 desktop screens I did this morning with this cool stuff instead of fixing something in the house I was supposed to be doing.

February 25, 2013 9:55:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome to the home Mike. From one old guy to another.

February 25, 2013 10:48:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mjb0919,
I did what I think is a successful upload to the screenshots forum. Not sure, as it said it was submitted and saved, but it hasn't shown itself yet. I probably didn't do something correctly.
Sounds like you did it right. Anything that gets submitted to a gallery here needs to be looked over by a moderator before it gets shown in that gallery. That can take a few days sometimes.

If you want a screenshot to show in the forums, you need to upload it to Photobucket or Imageshack, then copy the direct link provided by them. Then come back to the forum and click the little tree icon right above where you type in the words. A pop up will appear, just paste the direct link into the Image URL box and hit submit. You should see it right away in the box you are typing in.

February 26, 2013 3:39:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mjb0919,
Right now I keep switching between 2 desktop screens I did this morning with this cool stuff instead of fixing something in the house I was supposed to be doing.

One thing about SD that I forgot to mention.....its very addictive. Once the bug bites........done.

February 26, 2013 8:55:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They seemed to be looking up at something so I used Mr Banfield's snow to enhance it. My 1st try at things

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.