Trying to find a 3d desktop environment from many years back

By on February 24, 2013 9:20:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

folkloricspy

Join Date 02/2013

What it is:

Back either in the later years of Windows 98 or the early years of Windows XP (I don't remember at this point) I had a 3D desktop environment program.  Thinking back on my browsing habits back then, I probably found it linked off of SPACE.com when it was relatively new.

Your desktop became a solar system. Each planet was a essentially a folder, and then you could put stuff like buildings or spaceships on the planet that acted like icon files.  The planets would rotate around a sun and you could zoom around and move from planet to planet in 3D space. It was a neat little program, but I have no idea what it was called.

What it's not:

After searching around the Internet I haven't been able to find a trace of this software, but I can tell you what it's not:

• Tactile3D
  • Asia 3Desktop
  • AstonShell
  • 3DNA Desktop
  • Window Blinds or other Stardock software
  • Aximon
  • A screensaver, 3D solar system simulation, Google Sky, or planetarium software

If this rings a bell with anyone, I'd greatly appreciate any help in tracking it down!

Edit: Update "What it's not" list.

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 24, 2013 11:24:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Neat concept anyway - but anyway, it could be the mind mapping program TheBrain - it defaults all blue and you make parents and children what not and they can be files, folders, ideas, images whatever. Was pretty cool from my memories of it, but seemed to much effort for me to build up to represent my entire system. It is 3d, and you can navigate through your mind map - but it's not an actual planets/solar system thing...maybe it was a skin for it??

February 25, 2013 7:16:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know of something a 'little' bit like that....

Personal Brain.  Way back when I thought it was pretty trick...

http://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/ 

February 25, 2013 7:37:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think I have that program somewhere...... Did it have the word "Top" in the title? If so, I could probably dig it out........

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 25, 2013 11:31:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I checked out The Brain. To me it looks like a fancy explorer. Too too much on top of what I already have but.......for the geeks of the world......its pretty cool.

February 25, 2013 1:34:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BumpTop is the one I was thinking of, I have it if required. 

Also, Martin the DX expert who used to hang around here, made a DesktopX theme that sounds similar to what you describe. Could it be that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.